The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Parelli?

I had a trainer working at my boarding stable awhile ago who used to train horses the Parelli way. She had a stallion how would heal, like a dog. Would you find any extra value / perk to a horse with this kind of training? Especally if you are buying a horse that is only two or three and not under saddle yet.

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "trained to heel like a dog," but if you mean goes when you go (or say go), stops when you stop (or say stop), keeps a safe distance between it's feet & yours, I think that's called trained to lead, and as far as I know, every dang horse under human care ought to be trained to do it. Not a Parelli-invented notion.

If you mean something else by "trained to heel", please explain further.
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

Choo Choo!

why do I see a train-wreck coming?
    *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
    R.I.P El Salvador*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Quote Originally Posted by Nski32 View Post
    Choo Choo!

why do I see a train-wreck coming?
    Yeah, that was my first thought, too, but then I said, "hey, I haven't been on a train in a while. I brought popcorn...."
    Foxwin Farm
    Home of The Bay Boy Wonder
    and other fine Morgan Sporthorses

A horse healing like a dog... isn't this basically how a horse should lead? Horse at you shoulder , not in front and not behind.

As for parelli, don't really have an opinion since never done any of the training myself. Do have one book but haven't read it fully. Heard amazing things from some people and have heard insanely bad things. Some horses it works some it doesn't. Overall it waaay to expensive and commercial ( in the sense it seems like you have to buy this that and the other thing to do any of it).

As for is it good for a under 3 yrs to do. I totally agree with doing ground work with any horse regardless of age but specifically with young ones. Not sure if it would directly be worth more when buying but really someone is more willing to buy your horse if he is well mannered and has good ground manners. As for specifically being parelli trained.. can work both ways.. some people love that type of horse and some run away when seeing a parelli trained horse.

P.

Default Healing

The trainer could stop the horse on the lung circle, wave the whip and he would trot around and stop next to her right shoulder. I call it healing because I have only ever seen this in obediance shows for dogs, not with horses. THE horse started over 20ft away and just trotted around. needless to say my jaw was on the ground. I have alot of experience with young horses and my horse is always with me weather I am holding on to him or not, he stops when I do, stays usually where I want him to and I never have any ground manner problems. But I am not so sure what the difference between just simple ground manners ( move over, move forward, move back, stay, head down ect) and the Parelli System are, except that 3 yr old hyper stallion could run circles around even my well behaved horse. SO is it worth it?

The value is that it's been trained to lead well. If it moves with you (respectfully) without a rope, it should do the same with a rope. The Parelli system teaches this, as do other trainers, as do most people who are good with young-uns.

I don't value "heeling" without a lead rope any more than I value good ground manners in general. But teaching stuff like this is a good way to teach PEOPLE about refining their skills with horses ... they can't just rely on yanking the rope, they have to be very aware of body language, etc. So I think it's worth it if someone is interested in that, and I think it does translate into under-saddle work in certain ways.

(And for the record, I do Parelli, but I'm not a nut. At least, I don't think I'm a nut).

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloGirl View Post
    Would you find any extra value / perk to a horse with this kind of training? Especally if you are buying a horse that is only two or three and not under saddle yet.
    Thanks
    No value whatsoever.

T SO is it worth it?
    Nope.

Parelli when done well is not much different than any other type of training. More commercial, but it does try to teach the basics to people who otherwise would not receive such information. If done improperly, the system can create dangerous people and dangerous horses.

Just like any other system of training. It has to be done properly. It is mainly the person in the horse/human relationship. It depends on how it is done.

Parelli is just mainly a people training system. People like having their horses dance around them. Looks great, but really has no practical use. If people who know nothing about horses want a self study system, it is great if they follow it step by step. There is good information in the program. Very basic, but very good if you study at home and have no access to a trainer.

Just food for thought.

If I see a horse advertised as Parelli trained, I immediately move on.

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Which would be fine with me and you'd be missing a great deal on my mare

(and no, she's not for sale...)

I am gonig to have to disagree with some of you here. Parelli has worked wonders for the horse that I am leasing as well as myself. Thats not to say that every horse should be trained using these methods (and yes, some of it is just plain horsey common sense) but done right with a horse who truely needs it, it can be a lifesaver. The horse that I am working with now had a bundle of problems and was very skittish, not extremely trusting and hugely lacking confidence. Many things had been tried with him and parelli was basically the last stop. Low and behold, the horse has made about a 75% turn around in just a couple of months. I went for many years without knowing any parelli and believing that it was mostly just a scam, but now i have a different outlook on it and think that it really can be helpful to some horses if done right. Again, I am not saying that Parelli is for every person or horse. I have seen Parelli done the wrong way, and it is not pretty.

So to put some answer to your question, I dont think that being Parelli trained is really magic with all horses but perhaps this particular horse just took to it well and it was done right. Also, overall it will probably not raise the value of your horse because people who would buy a Parelli trianed horse (in great part because of the training) already know how to do Parelli and could teach it to a horse themselves.

But I am not so sure what the difference between just simple ground manners ( move over, move forward, move back, stay, head down ect) and the Parelli System are, except that 3 yr old hyper stallion could run circles around even my well behaved horse...
    That and a whole manure spreader's worth of marketing.

You can see that sort of thing in two performance daily at Ringling Bros, Barnum & Bailey's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Roux View Post
    Yeah, that was my first thought, too, but then I said, "hey, I haven't been on a train in a while. I brought popcorn...."

I'll bring the Sugar Babies! Buckle up little campers, its gonna be a bumpy ride!

I had a trainer working at my boarding stable awhile ago who used to train horses the Parelli way. She had a stallion how would heal, like a dog. Would you find any extra value / perk to a horse with this kind of training? Especally if you are buying a horse that is only two or three and not under saddle yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    No value whatsoever.
    I absolutely agree -- having a horse that can walk to heel has absolutely no intrinsic value whatsoever. Horses, especially stallions, should have decent ground manners. I am constantly amazed by people who advertise horses for sale who "stand for grooming and tacking up." Well, yes, I would hope so.

I am not a fan of Parelli training at all after seeing too many worried, hounded horses who are Parelli graduates, and also knowing of someone who suffered a significant head injury while following the Parelli teachings of riding bareback with a rope halter. Naturally the rider was not wearing a helmet.

But having said all that, God help me, I am teaching my late middle aged plough horse to heel and do a few tricks. He has lymphangitis and may be off for quite some time (or may never come back completely) so what else am I going to do with him? He seems to quite like it. However trick training is not something I would do to make a horse more saleable. Right now I'm doing it as something to help keep my horse moving and it helps to keep his mind active.

Quote Originally Posted by perpetual_novice View Post
    I absolutely agree -- having a horse that can walk to heel has absolutely no intrinsic value whatsoever. Horses, especially stallions, should have decent ground manners. I am constantly amazed by people who advertise horses for sale who "stand for grooming and tacking up." Well, yes, I would hope so.
    Can I get an *AMEN*?!? Well put!

Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post

Ditto !!!

"Parelli trained" = useless POS

Hey who needs a margrita to sip while we watch the implosion?
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    Ditto !!!

"Parelli trained" = useless POS

Hey who needs a margrita to sip while we watch the implosion?
    I can't do margaritas (bad experience with Tequila) but I would love a Cosmo!