The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Will a Home for 2 Loffly Horses please step forward?

There! That's a direct question

Then the hay and $$support shall follow, do I have that right now?

Well then, I'll give it till Monday to work itself out. I'm heading south to my son and dil to be in attendance at the last sonogram of my first granddaughter before March delivery

Carry on in true COTH style - I'll check in on son's puter if I can wrest some time from my grandson. Bye ya'll, and thanks ever so much

Blessings on Your Barns
    Mich, Cara & Winterhawke

ok ok, Sunkissed Acres can take the kids on. Heck, you cant count blind kids cause they cant see right. And like many others, so long as they keep moving hahahahaaha.

But sadly, Beastie, I have no horses for adoption. the calliber of horses abandonded here over the winter, and I do mean abandoned, is sad. Well, I dont find much sad about little old ladies or gentleman who want only to be loved, warm and fed. But, unfortunately, I am one of very few people who find any purpose in pasture ornaments. Sadly, the dont generate 5 cents but they cost a pretty penny. My logic, they arent here for long LOL what the heck is 5 or 6 years. heheehehehe

The kids need a place to go right, we are already good at blind.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    ok ok, Sunkissed Acres can take the kids on.
    I got your address from the website sunkissedacres.com. You will be getting some $$$ help from the 'frozen north'. Thank you
    <><

Wonderful! I can send a donation too. Thanks, Lori and MoCaraid!

I'm slowly getting an edification in the harsh economics of 501(c)(3) rescue.

What is REALLY needed for these 2 is ONGOING sponsorship. In all likelihood, neither one will be adoptable, and they will be here at Sunkissed Acres for life. As we all know, they never stop eating hay and grain!

I for one am glad Lori decided to take them in - Pooh looks like a grand old TB champion and will be treated as such - but if any of you, or a group of you, would like to send monthly donations for hay/feed/etc. for these two, that would be completely awesome.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Default GA Peeps - Can anyone help these guys?

Sorry I don't get to read this great group very often but some of you horse lovers are great at forwarding me the thread when I am needed.

I am the rescue (www.SaveTheHorses.org) who had Acey, the blind mare and Pumpkin. http://savethehorses.org/ap-fund/. They were adopted by a private farm in TN. I will contact them and see if they can take these two needy horses. They have big hearts for blind horses. Keep your fingers crossed!

I have horses with COPD, Cushings, anhydrosis, cancer and more. I try to take in only the most needy and my phone rings off the hook with sad stories of broken promises to keep horses safe. Sometimes it isn't the owners fault but others times it is the owners choice because the horse has a problem...like 'I can't afford to feed a horse I can't ride'! DOES IT COST MORE TO FEED A HORSE THAT'S LAME???? These are the people rescues deal with too often, just those choosing to pass on their responsibility to a rescue. They want to think rescues have the money trees growing somewhere in the pasture.. Believe me, we don't!

I still have 3 blind horses here and 3 one eyed horses plus an array of disabled and gracefully elderly horses. We just lost or lovely almost 44 year old mare, Cricket. We had her for 8 wonderful years. It is heartbreaking to lose any one of them. Yes, hay is expensive, feed has gone up but we find a way to help. The horses we are talking about on Horseville will be safe for now. I told the lady who has them that I will pay for feed and hay until we find a permanent home. She assured me they are safe with her as long as I can help.

I wish I had room here but we time-share some of the stalls now. I have at least 85 horses! I am paying $9.75 a bale but they get what they need. I had 2 surgeries at Auburn University on Thursday. I truly believe this is what I am supposed to be doing on earth. Good deeds bring more good deeds. It works. I have been doing this since 1979 from a shoe string and it has grown to a respectable horse rescue. It is people like all of you who are vigilant on letting everyone know when a horse is in need.It is you that keep rescues going as well by your donation and your good will. We are all part of the circle that keeps horses safe from harm. Thank you all. I hope to have the time to visit your group more often but for now, it's out to the barn! I will let you know how the Horseville horses are doing and keep on looking for a home in case the TN family can't take them.
    Cheryl Flanagan
    www.savethehorses.org

Default GA Peeps -Can anyone help these guys?

Oops, guess I missed Lori's OK to take them. Amey who has them said she has enough feed until the weekend. I saw the Aikin post who also offered to take them. You guys jump right in, don't you. Let me know if I can help in any way. I will make sure they are feed until they get to someone safe home.
    Cheryl
    www.savethehorses.org

Lori, you are such a saint...
    I'll drop a donation into the mail.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

I love you guys.

And for clarification - Mods, please correct me if I am wrong - this was put on the Giveaways precisely because taking the horses to a private farm or sending money to an individual would be considered "soliciting." But we are allowed to PM back and forth.

Now that they would be going to a 501(c)3, we can be "open" about it.

Moderators - thank you so much for your understanding.

I am especially moved. My brother had been undergoing biopsies for a suspect cancer. It did not look promising - in fact, we were all convinced (including his oncologist) that it was simply a matter of how far it had progressed. When the final, most extensive biopsy came back, we were astounded and overjoyed to discover that while the cells are changing, my brother had dodged the bullet for now - which means that he will be closely watched, and we will catch it early.

My parents brought me up with a tradition: when something good happens, you share the joy. Even as a very young child, I participated. And so this time, because this was a really big thing, I wanted to do something. And for equine rescues- there is always a need. With all the issues with the Colorado horses and etc, I simply didn't know where to send money. When I saw Pooh, I knew.

I will be calling Lori to tell her. I will be one of Pooh's sponsors.

Thank you, everyone.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I will send peeps every month from my stash, I promise.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

Okay! Lori, if you are willing to take them, I'll direct my fundraising efforts toward having $/hay sent directly to you.

MoCaraid, am I reading this right - are you willing/able to transport the beasties all the way to Sunkissed Acres?
    Y'all ain't right!

I can help with transport if such is needed. (I mean dollar wise, for some gas - goodness knows, I have no truck or trailer, and I don't think I'd be a very good driver!).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Thank you Lori for taking these guys and a big thanks to Cheryl for offering to take these guys also. It can't be easy to find a home for a blind horse and now these guys have two great homes offered to them. You guys are great.

Default I'll step aside then...

Just back online and finally got a response from Amey. It sounds like a home has been arranged for these two (yeah! Go COTHers!). I'll stop my contact with her so as not to confuse things.

What size blankie does Gus need? I'll check my "spares" for one that may fit.

BTW - Thanks for the responses re: caring for a blind guy. Wanted to make sure that we could provide the right type of accommodations before making a firm commitment. My vet also said we're in good shape. I've got my "ducks in a row" for next time!

Lori or WA, could you post your estimate of what it costs to keep one of the horses at Sunkissed Acres for a month so folks can get an idea of what a full sponsorship would cost?

Wonderful, genous folks on this BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With all the offers, I'm confused, not that it takes much these days LOL. Where do we sent the $ to help support these guys? I can't send much, but every little bit helps.

aiken4horses, I can't speak for Lori, but I bet she would be happy to step aside and let you be the home for these guys! It sounds like she gets a lot of requests to take horses and I worry she might be feeling pressured by us to take them on....
    Y'all ain't right!

I think Mocariad is away for a couple of days.

The blanket she took over for pooh is a Loaner,so he will need a blanket too.

Maybe she will let us know what size it was.

These horses are in Kingsland just off I-95,so if anyone is going north ,that would be a help.

I am not sure where Sunkist Acres is?
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Lori or WA, could you post your estimate of what it costs to keep one of the horses at Sunkissed Acres for a month so folks can get an idea of what a full sponsorship would cost?
    Full sponsorship would be $175 per month, per horse. That covers all feed, hay, grain, shavings, vet & farrier. It pretty much covers all costs for the horse.

I'm totally the newbie at Sunkissed Acres, but I wanted to say thanks so much to all y'all and especially Horseinc, Aiken4horses, and MoCaraid for getting this one rolling!

Lori, DressageGeek & others are getting the ball rolling as near as I can tell from shamelessly eavesdropping on phone conversations. Hopefully we'll be meeting these loffly boys real soon!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks everyone. I am not feeling pressured at all to take in these guys. Pooh melted my heart. I am perfectly fine taking these two boys in, lots of love to spare. But, if Aiken4horses wants these two boys, or is in better shape to take them, that is fine too. I do think though WA has her heart set on Pooh LOL. I have called Amey, (owner)
    and will find out what I can about the blind boy. One eyed guys are easy to deal with. I got some wooden fence posts from LMH last year and we are prepared to put in a new pasture for the blind guy. They love having lots of space to graze in. I am excited to meet these guys.

All we need to do is arrange shipping now. It sounded as though someone was prepared to bring them. We can meet if necessary. All I need to know is when to expect them or when I shall be driving. We have new purple blanket coming. Our blind guys wear purple so people know who is blind.

Horseinc. Thankyou for your wonderful post. Your longevity speaks for itself. I know all too well the phone calls and they are all deserving. One can only save so many though as it is.

Thankyou everyone for making it possible for these two kids to get a new home. And I am the lucky recipient. Hooray, Pooh is coming here. What is the other boys name?
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement