The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I also still promise to help with $$- but I'm in MO, a bit of a long distance to get details on them or arrange anything. However - if there is a way I can help in this regard, let me know. In fact, just got back on the board and had to hunt this thread down!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default Beastieslave,,at least they are in Georgia.

Unlike one excursion we undertook.

I will NEVER forget that day.

I will put in some $$.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

please PM me if I can help more directly - I am relying on someone else (in GA) to get the particulars, and then will send a check/paypal to whoever.
    www.specialhorses.org

If someone can get more details and find them a home, count me in to send a little $$$ to help cover initial costs. That guy looks sssooooo sweet.
    <><

I'll chip in too. Just keep us posted.

I will send peeps.
    Special Horses - equine volunteer to assist equines in need!
    www.specialhorses.org

I e-mailed and left a message this afternoon. Haven't heard back from anyone yet. The ad is still up, but that doesn't always mean anything.

I had promised my SO when I quit my job to do the farm full time that the "free" horses wouldn't out number the paying boarders - good thing he's near sighted! If they all just keep moving around...

I emailed too-I am in S. Ga.

I won't be on the computer after noon today, if there is a way I can help, PM me before then for cell no. Or e mail no.
    www.specialhorses.org

I'll put some $$ in. Let me know the paypal addy. They look exceptionally sweet, and if we can find them a good stable home ...

Default I met this woman and the horses - legit

After six years of lurkdom on this forum, I'm finally coming out of my "lurky-lu" closet to post on this thread. These horses are within 20 miles of me and I felt "called" to respond to her need.

I feel that I know most of you already - and I realize that none of you have ANY idea who I am. I am always most impressed at the generosity and genuine empathy expressed by the posters on these threads regarding needy horses (usually the same folks). So, here is my report for what it's worth:

I called, left polite message offering assistance and support, she called me back. I drove over there at her request. She's legit, very nice woman. She has several VERY NICE horses in LOVELY shape.

She actually took these horses as a favor to someone some time ago. Got them in good shape - someone here locally offered to give them a good home, she let them go. Everything was good for awhile, then he developed "other interests" and according to her, she noticed they were being "starved down". She actually WALKED these horses several miles back to her place as no trailer was available. She has had them now just over a week. Her place is clean and well-kept, hayracks are full and the horses were content.

Pooh is "loffly" ole man, was definitely a nice well-trained mount in the past. Even several hundred pounds down and very tired, he has that "tb carriage".
    Eye is clean, but he's definitely blind on left, has some rainrot. Otherwise seems in decent shape. I took MoCaraid's new plaid Landa (Christmas gift from my kids) with me just in case the situation was dire, and ended up loaning it to Pooh. He stood like a stone, even when the leg straps had to be altered to fit. Honest to Heaven, he must have worn something like it
    in the past because he took on the "well it's about time someone gave me some respect" stance and raised that aristocratic head - and I wept. He needs a blanky.

Guss was born blind - she said "pig-eye"? Had been trained for trail work. He can see shadows, has lovely temperament, wants lovin', needs groceries. Followed us like a puppy but very respectfully. Would appreciate a blanket.
    They both need farrier and dentistry.

She works hard to keep her own horses well cared for (and they are!). She cannot keep these two - wants to find safe, loving forever home for them where she can keep in touch and feel that they are well cared for.
    A place where they could be loved on by children is her dream for them.

SunkissedAcres, Beastie Slave - ya'll would love these guys! They've been together for years and depend on each other for support. VERY kind horses.

I have offered to pay for coggins & health certificates. Meeting her this afternoon when vet comes. I am willing to haul them a reasonable distance
    when the paperwork is in order, will take approximately two weeks.
    I did explain to her that a rescue umbrella would give her an added layer of security for their future.

All in all, I feel they are in good hands and will be in much better shape by the time an appropriate new home is lined up and paperwork is ready.

I'm not a recognized rescue, just a horseowner who supports rescue efforts. This is a personal effort on my part to assist another horseperson who did the right thing for the horses.

I did a quick profile if ya'll want to check me out

Blessings on Your Barns
    Mich, Cara & Winterhawke

I PM'd you with my cell no.
    www.specialhorses.org

I'll be in & out this weekend, but I'm in for trying to get these guys to a permanent home where they can live happily together. Lots of ideas kicking around....
    We can make this happen!!!
    Y'all ain't right!

I'm too far away to help, but I can send a few bucks. Please keep us posted on the progress.

I'll help with a little $$ too, let me know when something gets organized.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Default I know Mocariad I can vouch for her.

We desperately need a place to take these horses to,I will definately add $$ to where ever they go.

We do not have a hay shortage here,If anyone is traveling to the area they end up in,we can send hay.

Any other ideas
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Default Thank You All - Hay Liz :)

Oh my goodness! I'm surprised and gratified, and I really don't know WHAT else to say - but I'll try
    Thank you Liz ((HUGS))

I called everywhere within a 5 county area and the ONLY blanket in any store was the Weaver for Pooh - one prayer answered

We now have a blanket for Pooh, a very nice Weaver (78) navy/green trim job that he likes very much

Guss NEEDS a tan/burgundy (72) and is a little put out, because he can smell that Pooh has something nice even if he can't see it.

Cold drizzly rainy and their hips are sticking out catching the breezes
    The vet was called to an emergency so vetting was rescheduled for Tuesday/Wednesday.

They both are in dire need of farriering (ahem, attn youknowwho) and dentistry. They are being well cared for and she will keep them until a good home is assured.

Now, as to your very generous offers that have me in grateful tears. My understanding on this forum is that folks soliciting funds must be 501c3. That's not me. So I'm confloozled and I do NOT want to fall afoul of any rules. Specially on my very first thread PM me please, if that's allowed?

Blessings on Your Barns
    Mich, Cara & Winterhawke

Mich,,,"Our" farrier is in the Kingsland area on the 7th.

Although I would rather see them on their on their way somewhere before then.

On another note ,,I have an excellent source for tift 85 if anyone is coming up I 75 we can send the odd bale[round bale full size = $50.00 ,on up to where-ever these kids might end up.

Default Kingsland - Feb 7

Liz, could "our" farrier ink them in please? It will take at least that long to get the paperwork together.

And we're lookin' for that dentist too, so they'll look all spiffy when they get to their new digs ya know

As to the hay, I could probly find room for at least one round and a few squares in my "limousine" if we're going I75. Heck, if I tack the rear tack out we could get two rounds plus the horses - at least we could try - if that would sweeten the deal

Blessings on Your Barns
    Mich, Cara & Winterhawke

Default Mocariad.

We have to find someone to take them first.

After that we will work on sending hay + $$ to help support them.

I know we have folks on here willing to help

But first we have to find a safe haven for them.

At the moment ,nobody is stepping up for them