The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How do you make money on the side?

Hi everyone - I am wondering how many of you make money outside of your typical occupation. What side jobs do you do? What have you found to be the most successful? This may be more tailored to the amateur rider.

Talking I've got lots of ways!

I do it through lots of little side jobs:

* needlepoint belts
    * ribbon-covered brow-bands
    * tack repair
    * clothing repair/alterations
    * make some bellydance costumes/sell my own cast-offs
    * sell stuff on eBay; I even sort of arbitrage saddles sometimes
    * sell skin care/makeup
    * braid at shows
    * work in office at shows (new)

And, I could always work overtime at my 9-5. It's usually available.

I've got other ideas in the works. It all adds up.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

For me it's body clipping...I don't have many clients, so I can easily schedule when it's a good time for me. I also really enjoy doing it.

I work at Starbucks part time for horse show $. I work about 15-20 hours a week at this, and it adds up to an extra $500 per month. It's a fun, no stress, job, and the people I work with are a great bunch. The best perk (pun intended) is that I get a pound of coffee beans each week, and free drinks while on shift.
    Megan

Photography. I'm also considering another part-time job for the summer.

When I was in college, and you could still do it, I sold my plasma. It was a really good gig. My friend plays the organ and does a lot funerals. Pet watching is a good job. Bartending is always a good way to make a few extra bucks. I make my own jewelry which is actually an added expense because it takes too much effort to sell it. Babysitting, blech. Other than that all the things I think of require actual talent. Of which I have plenty if you're discussing having a beer and thinking up dumb ways to get hurt on your horse. Otherwise, I'm tapped.
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

Haul horses cross country or around town on the weekends. I would be considered a "custom hauler."

Reed

First, I am what I refer to as a faux-pro. I have FT non-horse job, however due to the rules, I am technically a professional horse person. Second, that gives me a little bit more lee-way in how I earn money. I farm-sit (my main source of spare cash), I braid, I teach a few lessons extra lessons and ride the occasional semi-rank horse

I hear strippers make good money

Oh yeah, I body-clip, too. How'd I block out the memory of all those stray bits of hair up my nose, in my ears, etc?

I am also an art model. Yup, I pose in the nude! Harder work than you think. I only work at schools or with professional artists & have my own "agent/bodyguard." John is the first artist I modeled for and has become a friend. He'll book me jobs with other artists & accompany me to ensure I am safe and paid.

I'll do just about anything I can for some spare cash.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Rivenoak, putting the phrases "body clip" and "art model . . . in the nude" in the same posting --- snort!

Oh, what things our love for our horses makes us do!

As for me, I teach at Univerity of Phoenix for extra money, and, sometimes, mysteryshop at fine dining (and drinking) establishments.

I art modeled one time. Who'd have thought someone could maintain a blush for that long?... even through some serious muscle cramps trying to hold still for extended periods. I have a friend who did that as well and she has some very nice pieces of herself naked.
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

For the most part I just pick up extra duties/hours afterschool that are paid. I usually only have to do it once or twice a week and it provides me with enough money to take regular lessons and go to clinics. It pays well but it is not fun work
    I also proctor the SAT's once a month and that covers my entries to a unsanctioned HT or clinic. That's a really easy gig.

This past summer I worked at a kennel and ran Doggie Day camp. It was alot of fun and a pretty easy job but I think this year I'll probably try to come up with something else that pays more per hour. Like private tutoring or something of the sort.

Great thread! I have a favor to ask - how does one get these kind of jobs (i.e. proctoring the SATs, etc?)

I teach two students twice a month. I only charge a minimal amount, so I'm safe within the $2500/year rule to stay an ammy for the USEA. I've also done some logo design/iconography, but I'd love to do little things like proctoring the SATs, and such. Do tell!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I proctored the SATs too! Talk about an easy job - and a decent paycheck! I think someone posted something or told my advisor from school (college) and I did it a few times.

I ditto clipping! I've made some big $$'s clipping!

I caddie at the private club 10 minutes down the street. It pays me $120 a loop, and I generally only loop one day a week while I work full time (I'm at the golf course by 7:00 a.m., and gone by noon). During Master's Tournament week, the golf course where I caddie is swamped, and since it's my spring break, I commit to caddying Sunday to Sunday. I generally pocket a couple grand by the end of the week with my daily pay, end of week bonus for not missing a bag, and any tips I may receive.

It does help that I play golf, and am married to a caddie/pro golfer. I have some 'ins' in some nice clubs both here and out west. It also gets me in REALLY good shape.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

rivenoak, do you belli dance too, I come to your show to see that. I got an idea, it is so absolutely stupid, I ride a training X-C in one of your belly dancer outfits at Coconino and we auction that ride of, what ya think lady, lets do it for the Spring Coco and we use the money for jumps in the summer. I aint going to shave my legs for it, though.

Have an auction on the BB and through out Area X, hihihihhihi that should be fun, just think of the jump judges, gigigigle when they see me and my Woman.

We post pre show pictures, show pictures, maybe I could even do the dressage that way, hihihihihi with a belly button jewel, I am about to burst

SEVEN THIRTY SIX, pruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust

1000 Dollar Gringo as a starting Price, gigigigigigigiggigigil
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

Although I am not involved in the OTTB thing now due to a change in circumstances, I made some very nice money over the past three years buying and reselling OTTB's and one nice draft-cross. Although all that money and then some promptly got dumped right back into a ring and a barn remodel, so I still came out in the red! Whatever, I had a great time and I learned a ton by riding all kinds of different horses so no matter what, I consider it to be invaluable riding and horsemanship education.

For the resale thing to work, you really need your own place. I don't see how this can be profitable for the average ammie at a boarding barn (a trainer maybe, who could flip horses quickly before the board bills eclipse any profit to be made). I usually had my guys about a year before I resold them- at home, about $2000-2500 worth of basic expenses (feed, hay, sups if needed, wormer, shoes) but assuming no medical issues, but at a boarding barn, that would be far too long for me to have made any real money, at least not the kind of money that would finance a new ring or barn floor/drainage system.
    Last edited by hey101; Jan. 23, 2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: expanding range on basic expenses to include shoes
    ~Living the life I imagined~

I am a personal trainer on the side - I used to do it full time years ago, but always kept my certification up, which has turned out to be a great thing since it's a good source of extra cash and my schedule is flexible! Plus I meet wonderful people and it helps keep me fit (well, at least it helps embarass me into not getting too terribly out of shape!)

Gnep, just dress the part and sell a calendar. I'll buy one!
    Click here before you buy.