The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket strap extenders...are there such a thing?

I've been looking and can't seem to find anyone who stocks extenders to blanket straps and I'm sure other breeders have come across this problem with their broodmares. The one broodmare has her straps extended to the fullest and she is not due until June and she is in a Rambo 83 inch....yikes! Actually its only the middle of the three straps that is fully extended.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find blanket strap extenders...please.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

I never had any luck finding blanket extenders, but I did end up ordering replacement strap fabric and hardware pieces thru my local tack shop and making my own. I also figured out that some blankets had longer straps than others and didn't need and extenders to fit around a giant pregant belly.
    Good luck!

I have rigged a baling twine extender - not pretty, but functional - LOL!

Thank you for your response. I have found a site that offers a surcingle extension of 12 inches which should work on the blankets. I might order one and give it a try....if not baling twine just might be the answer.
    www.trevelyanfarm.com
    Follow us: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tre...1609022?ref=ts
    Breeders of Sport Horses & New Forest Sport Ponies

Baling twine works great and the straps never seem to come undone with it.

I prefer to use some elastic to extend the straps - especially on heavy in foal mares. I don't like straps causing tummy pressure, but I also don't like to leave them long/loose so a hoof can get caught in them when the horse gets up and down.

We call them baling twine, too!! I find that with the rear leg straps I can have the belly straps really loose so they won't ever bind. Just an idea.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    We call them baling twine, too!! I find that with the rear leg straps I can have the belly straps really loose so they won't ever bind. Just an idea.
    Twice, I have come out in the morning to a horse standing on 3 legs, with one hind leg stuck in a tummy strap. I would be very careful.

For pregnant mares, I have even used a rug with just the leg straps, no belly strap.

I agree with Darlyn. I'd be cautious about using bale twine.

I've had the same problem with the leg straps on Rambos not being long enough. It was after I found my favorite mare cast in her stall - in shock - with one of the straps dangerously cutting off circulation across her belly that I started removing the blankets from my my pregnant mares while in the stall. After that, they only wore them when turned outside in very frigid or wet weather.

Default elastic surcingle

sorry if this was said, I just skimmed the responses...anyway, I don't breed but, how about one of the elastic surcingles used to hold blankets in place?? They are a little old school but, I do see them on occasion. I like the idea of adding a homemade extension though. I'd say just attach a buckle (male and female) to each end of of some fabric.

Default Belly strap extenders - $13.50

Same problem - my very preggo mare is in a Rambo 87! and she's only 16 hands!
    Had the local saddle repair person make me 3 belly strap extenders. They used proper surcingle material with a set of buckles at each end. So now I attach the extender and then (if I can still reach under her!) I can do up the strap to the existing buckle.

Cost - $13.50
    Mare who pins her ears and runs at the site of a blanket - priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by aiken4horses View Post
    Mare who pins her ears and runs at the site of a blanket - priceless!
    and we think we are actually improving their lives. Nope, we blanket for OUR state of mind, not to make them more comfortable, which it does not for the majority of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    ... we blanket for OUR state of mind, not to make them more comfortable, which it does not for the majority of time.
    I agree. Mine live out 24/7 with run-ins. Old guys get blankets when it goes below 35 degrees, they tend to drop weight if chilled, and mommy-to-be only gets a blanket when it drops into the 20's. All I have to do is pick up her blanket and the expression on her face lets me know if she's agreeable to a blanket that day or not! Don't normally pander to them but she's pretty opinionated.

My Mommy-to-be is very opinionated about her blanket as well... it has to be on at all times!

She grows a really good coat so last year I thought that I would leave her sans blanket for the winter, but she didn't agree! Every morning after the temp had dropped to 20, the barn owner would be calling me because my mare was down and not eating her breakfast. I'd go out check her vitals (always fine) and put her in a stall for the day to watch her, everything would be fine until that next cold night. After the third time i finally gave up and put her blanket on. She was fine the rest of the winter. Lol..

This year she won't let me take off her blanket until it gets up around 40 and as I've been watching her belly expand I've been wondering what we are going to do when she runs out of room in the straps. I've been thinking of making some extender straps out of proper materials and it is nice to know that they work before I go threw the trouble

Sarah