The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone tried this treeless? UPDATE 2-6-08

http://cgi.ebay.com/ENGLISH-SYNTHETI...QQcmdZViewItem

I am itching to get and try a treeless - love my bareback pad, but need more support - any thoughts on this one? I have looked at the Bandos and the Barefoot Cheyenne - can't plunk down that kind of money right now (even though they are relatively inexpensive as far as treeless goes) . . . would I just be better off saving my pennies and waiting?

So, the treeless came today - super fast shipping BTW. I was very pleasantly surprised - it is much nicer quality than I had expected - YES!! (Seller also included a saddle pad, nylon bridle and breast collar at no charge.) Added my stirrups and dressage girth and put it on my mare - can't ride in it yet - she still has some healing to do, although her stitches did come out today. Anyway, looks good - can't wait to try it out . . .
    Last edited by Tiger Horse; Feb. 6, 2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Updated

Default Okay, I'll play

It looks cheap and, well, cheap. It's a saddle for $90 bucks -- a NEW saddle. Something tells me it will probably be uncomfortable for you and maybe for your horse as well. I vote for saving your pennies, watching ebay for good deals on used saddles, and buying something that may be older but of much better quality.

Mods - I hope this is allowed: I have an older 17" Wintec 2000 without the CAIR system, without girth or irons, that I will GIVE you if you pay shipping. Seriously. That's how much this cheapo saddle bothers me.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Thanks for the offer CanterQueen - that's really sweet of you. I do have five treed saddles to choose from though. I just wanted to try treeless because I do prefer my bareback pad over everything else. I realize it's only $90 - and it probably is cheaply made, etc. was just wondering if perhaps someone had tried it and they were pleasantly surprised. Ya never know . . . just thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrysmom818 View Post
    Thanks for the offer CanterQueen - that's really sweet of you. I do have five treed saddles to choose from though. I just wanted to try treeless because I do prefer my bareback pad over everything else. I realize it's only $90 - and it probably is cheaply made, etc. was just wondering if perhaps someone had tried it and they were pleasantly surprised. Ya never know . . . just thought I'd ask.
    I was curious about this saddle too, as sort of a glorified bareback pad. I wasn't able to find any reviews on it.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I tried one, and it was total crap. Save your money. I hated it so much I actually put it in the trash after 3 rides.

Well, I have one and I love it! Yeah, it's a $90 saddle, but seriously, it's fine. I've put probably 50 miles in mine already. It's really comfortable, fits my horses great, and will serve the purpose of backup saddle just fine. I have a Bandos trail that I do most of my riding in, but I wanted this cheapo synthetic for a backup to take in the river, or whatever. I'm glad I paid the $90. It was well worth it. I took out the hard pommel and stuffed with memory foam. I also took the seat off and replaced it with a sheepskin. But I did that on my Bandos too because those removable treeless seats are just hideous.

No, I wouldn't consider it for doing seriously long, hard miles, or endurance rides in. But if you just want to plug around the pasture or do a few hours on a moderate trail, go for it. Like I said, I've probably put 50 miles on mine already and I have no problem with it. The d-rings don't look like they'll hold up for the long haul, but for as little as the saddle will be used, I don't really care.

If you NEED a breastcollar to keep your saddle on, I would worry about the d-rings. The horse I use this saddle on is really downhill and saddles slide way forward on her anyway so I don't need a breastcollar.

For 90 bucks, it would give you a decent idea of how treeless saddles feel. Hell, you can't even demo a saddle for a couple days for 90 bucks! Seriously - even if you only ride in it 10 times, it's worth it just to give treeless a whirl.

And honest to god, this saddle is more comfortable than my Bandos is.

AT - Thanks! I figured if anyone had tried it, you would have. I would only use it for the trail and I generally don't stay out for more than two hours or so at a time - my mare is gaited and we run out of trail!

I won't need a breastcollar, so I won't have to worry about the d-rings. Sounds like the modifications you made were easy enough to do. What kind of saddle pad do you use with yours?

Thanks again!

Tigerhorse.....just curious as to which type of bareback pad do you have. Loved your statement about running out of trail. I ride gaited horses....so true!

I have an older suede covered pad made by Diamond Wool. Love it! I use it alot when we do the first loop on the trail - I don't have to cross any streets and there's a lot less foot traffic on our "home" side. To do the longer loop, I have cross a really busy intersection and ride next to a bike path for awhile. My mare is really great about all that - but, there's no predicting what bike riders, hikers and dog walkers are going to do - treeless seems like it would be a bit more secure without giving up the bareback pad feel I love.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Horse View Post
    AT - Thanks! I figured if anyone had tried it, you would have. I would only use it for the trail and I generally don't stay out for more than two hours or so at a time - my mare is gaited and we run out of trail!

I won't need a breastcollar, so I won't have to worry about the d-rings. Sounds like the modifications you made were easy enough to do. What kind of saddle pad do you use with yours?

Thanks again!
    Well, I'm currently in saddle pad hell. I have a Toklat Woolback. You have to get the High Profile though to provide wither clearance. I am realllllllllly loving that pad, although some people have told me they're not sufficient for treeless saddles. Hmmm. That remains to be seen, but so far I really love it.

I also have a pink Hilason endurance pad but am not as crazy about it because it is flat and has no wither clearance. Also, I have an older All Purpose pad that has two panels of thick wool on the underside and is spine free. It works really great, and I've had that thing for years.

I'm scared of the expensive specialty pads because I've read as many bad things as good, and also I just plain love a good thick, wool pad. But people have more opinions on pads than they do about antyhing else, I swear.

I have a pad or two that might work then - I prefer a high profile pad too, they seem to fit my mare's shape better and I am really anal about wrinkles, etc.

I know what you mean about the really expensive pads - and yes, everyone does have an opinion.

As far as your Toklat pad goes, I guess time will tell - if your horse isn't sore, I guess it's working! Like everything else - what works for one horse/saddle/rider combination doesn't necessarily work for the next.

A2, I'm just curious, did you buy the exact saddle in the link, or a similar $90 saddle?

I love learning about treeless. I'm considering getting one for myself eventually, but we'll see.

I can't open Ebay links here at work. The seller was Circle - something or other - Tack. It came to like $108 with shipping. It is solid black with cream colored fleece underneath. When I bought that one, they were selling several other colors as well, so I'm sure it's the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I can't open Ebay links here at work. The seller was Circle - something or other - Tack. It came to like $108 with shipping. It is solid black with cream colored fleece underneath. When I bought that one, they were selling several other colors as well, so I'm sure it's the same one.
    Yep, that's the saddle.

How does their sizing run on those, english or western? They seem to only have 15" avialable most times! I am still planning to buy my Bandos, but I know some people who want to try a cheaper treeless

Sizing is english size according to the seller - so, I'll need a 17". She does have a 17" in her warehouse - I'm waiting for shipping charges . . .

I got the 17 and it's pretty big. It fits my Dad who is 100 pounds bigger than me. And I ordinarily ride in a 17" english seat. I mean, it's not sloppy huge or anything, but it's a generous 17.

Default Please, dear Lord

tell me we are NOT talking about the sizing of the eBay Cheapo saddle??!! If it's the Bandos, then fine. I'm actually kind of curious. Never one not to try a new saddle (except any cheapos).

Quote Originally Posted by CanterQueen View Post
    tell me we are NOT talking about the sizing of the eBay Cheapo saddle??!! If it's the Bandos, then fine. I'm actually kind of curious. Never one not to try a new saddle (except any cheapos).
    Yes, the cheapos. If you are so bothered by it, fret not, it's not you that's buying one!

Default The new "No Cheapo Clique"

Aventera Two:

But I CARE about my fellow COTHers. Yes, yes, yes I do. I don't want them riding in anything I personally would not feel comfortable with. Or might not be a good fit for THEIR horses. Gads, now I'm really worried. . .