The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In Need of Warm, White Gloves...

I am a new member of, the Arapahoe Hunt of Colorado. They wear white gloves for formal days. My thin leather dressage gloves have been fine up to now but colder days are ahead...

I would like to find a non-knit, WARM white glove.
    The knit gloves are a bit bulky for me and I don't like the "feel" or lack there of.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks all!

Have you tried shopping any non-equestrian stores? Look at cross country skiing gloves, they are usually think so that you can have a good but flexinble grip on your poles. Snow boarding might also work, thy usually have grippy material on the palms and edges of the hands. Otherwise perhpas some glove liners and a pair of regular leather gloves a size larger? Some ideas:
    http://www.rei.com/product/712337
    http://www.rei.com/product/725082?vc...S_CLOTHING_TOC

Here are some silk glove liners.http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1198474863
    I have the SSG Soft Touch Silk Lined gloves, and they are really warm, but I don't think they come in white. But they add very little if any bulk and are quite warm!

Here are some that come in white

http://www.bitofbritain.com/ProductD...oductCode=0319

That's all I could find
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I've hunted with Arapahoe several times on formal days, and not noticed anyone wearing white gloves. They tend to adhere to the classic turnout as described by Wadsworth, meaning you'd be fine with brown or tan or 'chamois' colored gloves. Typically the white string gloves are carried under the billets and used on rainy days.

Since I am a new member I attended the new members meeting in October.
    Dr Beeman MFH, and our huntsman, specifically said "White gloves for formal days."

I don't think that anyone would say anything if one wore another color but white is what is preferred and what is asked for in the members literature.

Default I stand corrected!

Must admit I never noticed Dr. Beeman or anyone else wearing white gloves...but then I don't pay a lot of attention to such details! Their attire list does indeed specify white cloth or leather.

There are several possibilities at this web site:

http://www.ssgridinggloves.com/dressage.php

My personal preference style wise is the first one shown, style 2180, but there are several on the page available in white.

None of those look very warm. Boy a white glove seems very impractical for hunting. But then we wear white shirts and breeches. Go figure. I looked at photos from their website and it does indeed look like people are wearing white gloves on formal days.

Your best bet might be to find another member with nice warm looking white gloves and ask them where they got them.
    Last edited by Painted Wings; Dec. 26, 2007 at 12:35 AM.
    -Painted Wings

Thanks for the input.
    I have spoken with some of the members with colors and they seem to wear white knit gloves. I just don't care for the "feel", myself. They seem too slippery and bulky.

I have to second the silk liners - with a sturdier pair of dressage gloves they may do the trick. They don't add a lot of bulk either...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Another vote for the ssg silk liners,i use them under cheap wool gloves and my hands are toasty.For riding i use the ssg silk lined gloves.
    mm

Quote Originally Posted by Petalstorm View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    I have spoken with some of the members with colors and they seem to wear white knit gloves. I just don't care for the "feel", myself. They seem too slippery and bulky.
    You should try a pair - ****no slip****, much better grip than leather or synthetic and the wool is warm even when wet.

Quick Google search for white leather winter gloves brought up http://www.gloves-online.com/proddet...rod=LW-141R-NY They sure look warm.

Default I saw some today

In Dicks Sporting goods I found a Ladies Glove by The North Face, model Odyssey that looked like it would be really good. Color was moonlight. I can't find it anywhere on the net.

I did find this one however.

http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=84552444 2593145&emssrcid=performics_Nextag
    -Painted Wings

Painted, have you checked into the Neoprene water ski gloves? These can be found at most sporting goods stores, and they work wonderful. They are not thick and bulky, like ski gloves, and they have a leather palm great for keeping a nice grip on the reins. I used to wear these all the time when galloping at the track, even when the wind chills would get down into the single digits, they worked.

WWW.CMMBarnbrats.com