The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default True confessions.. aspects of horse ownership you hate?

Apart from ilnesses/injuries etc? I was thinking more everyday stuff.

I would love to say I love ALL aspects of horse husbandry, but I friggin hate HOSES!!

Wrangling with the darn things makes my normally long fuse exceedingly short
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Cold, wet mud.
    I hate having a horse coming in with muddy dreadlocks for a mane, with its halter coated with half an inch of the nasty stuff.....glued to its blanket, balled up in its tail.....yes, I live in a northern climate where the mud WILL freeze into golf-ball sized lumps in tails; the weight of it pulls out several inches of tail.
    I hate mud.
    Dee

Hands down-- pulling mane. I hate it. The horses hate it. It's gross and dirty (I have a phobia about human hair too, I just think hair is revolting) and when you pull it out you see the crusty roots. I hate doing it. I love the finished product.

I would rather clean 50 sheaths than pull 1 mane. I don't mind sheath cleaning at all, as long as I don't get kicked.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

The never ending quest for good hay.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

You mean, other than the costs?

I hate picking hooves. It kills my back and I just hate it.

Mud
    Poop Soup in the buckets
    Mud Again

All work and no play for me right now at 33 weeks pregnant. Stalls suck when you can't breathe, are doing them in the dark, and your back tires more quickly than it should due to added weight. The water retention and carpal tunnel don't help either. The labored breathing from hauling wagon or sled of manure thru snow sucks too. (Thank you chronic sinus infection and lung congestion.)

That's my hated aspect of horse keeping right now. I love feeding. Don't mind hauling water out to the barn or moving haybales. Grooming is still fun, but stalls are not high on my favorite things list right now.

I would have put in mane pulling, too, except I don't do it anymore. I cut manes. I do try to make them look semi-pulled, but...

Mud.
    Ice.
    Wind.
    Chewed fence boards.
    Rodents.
    Stacking hay.
    And, I'm with ya Tiempo - hoses drive me nuts (nuttier). And, our super fancy Craftsman hose's black color comes off on your hands.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Worrying.
    And I agree about the mud. I hate that my boots will be clean until I walk out to the pasture, just the area by the gate will be gross and the rest is fine.
    I used to hate mane pulling because my pony hated it, but don't mind it so much now. I hate hate long manes though unless they're on horses who are supposed to have them(like specific breeds etc).
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Mud and that darn cold winter wind
    Smashing ice in troughs
    Cleaning stalls when the "contents" are frozen
    When folks don't pay their board on time and think it's no big deal
    Muddy horses. I have mine all blanketed this winter b/c of the mud, smartest thing I have ever done!

Sheath Cleaning.

I'm actually kind of weird, and I *like* pulling manes...once a month or so, we play "Beauty shop" and the boys get clipped, pulled manes, the works.

I'm also not a big fan of mud when it's cold out. When it's warm it's okay, but when it's cold? A whole other story!
    Proud Closet Canterer!

An almost-white horse + a muddy paddock = !!!

Especially when they go out in a big turnout blanket because it's 35* out, yet it's muddy because it WAS 62* (In Chicago. In January. WTF.) one day, so they roll in all that mud with their blanket on. I had a lovely, once-white, now CAKED in frozen mud, wearing a big turnout that is now CAKED in frozen mud, horse. Oh I was so annoyed.

I also despise mane pulling.

Mud.

Throwing hay into the wind. (And given the layout of my property and the near-constant south to southwest wind, I have no choice but to throw the hay into the wind when tossing it over the fence.)

Picking hooves when they are encased in mud to over the fetlocks.

Breaking stubborn ice on the trough.

Opening the false link on the gate chain when it has frozen shut.

Tracking the elusive electric fence short that only exists when I'm by the controller or when the horses are trying to escape through it and never exists when I'm out walking fence.

Oh, I have to agree --- hoses. Specifically hose smut, that nasty dirt that gets on all the hoses and then gets on to your hands. Ugh. I wear gloves whenever I possibly can if I have to deal with hoses.

Hating the vet bills and other associated costs are a given.

Host smut --- gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Donkaloosa

i get bored with stall cleaning, and i hate mud!
    MIDWAY SOCCER 08' First Season!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Throwing hay into the wind. (And given the layout of my property and the near-constant south to southwest wind, I have no choice but to throw the hay into the wind when tossing it over the fence.)
    LOL! Boy can I relate to this one. You only have to throw a pitch fork full of soiled shavings into the wind once, to learn to check for wind flow from then on out. I have a visual of you spitting out hay bits and picking them out of your eyebrows

Mud.

I hate walking through the stuff.
    I hate grooming it off my horses.
    I hate sweeping it out of my aisle after grooming, walking muddy horses thru..

and...

Manure management - hate dealing with it.

Researching supplements - there are so many to choose from, all with big claims, comparing them - buying them - etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Hands down-- pulling mane. I hate it. The horses hate it. It's gross and dirty (I have a phobia about human hair too, I just think hair is revolting) and when you pull it out you see the crusty roots. I hate doing it. I love the finished product.

I would rather clean 50 sheaths than pull 1 mane. I don't mind sheath cleaning at all, as long as I don't get kicked.
    Righht there with you! In fact, I pulled three horses manes on MOnday who are making the trip to HITS, and I was in SUCH a bad mood after!

The other thing I hate: finding a laundry mat that will not chase you out of the place for doing horse laundry! Those are few and far between in my area. Although I have an old washer and dryer for saddle pads, sheets, and medium weight blankets, the heavy turn outs just do not fit. So I hate the days I have to "sneak" my horse stuff into a laundry mat!

Anything winter...and hoses/water related. And hay. I hate looking for it, I hate stacking it, and I hate thinking about it.
    "Wost Case Ontario..."