The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default No more tat searches...petty people

Due to someone getting there britches in a bunch over me supplying people with tatoo searches, I am no longer able to do that. Someone notified my resource that I was doing this outside of my job and was asked not to anymore.
    I still have access to the info (it’s part of my job) I can’t do it for anyone else. I’m amazed at how petty some people can be. The info supplied was only helpful to the horse and owner. But someone who pays for the service just couldn’t stand that people were getting their info for nothing
    I’m sorry for the horses that may never get identified and their connections. I hope the others who have supplied the info are able to continue to do so
    Success is a journey not a destination.

I am so sorry that happened. I can't thank you enough tirnanog for finding out who the new gelding I got in was. He didn't come with papers, no history, someone bought him and sent him here to be started. Now we all know who he is and it's just really comforting. The owner was told he was a Two Punch baby but who knows, without that tattoo. That was just awesome what you did for us and the horse! I am just really sorry that someone was so petty.

Thank you again!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

ditto, thank you so much for helping us all. what a shitty thing to do to you.you are just trying to help the horses!
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Takes all kinds, doesn't it? Gotta feel pity for someone so miserable within their own skin and so jealous that someone has or can get something they can't that they have to be hateful and lash out at someone they don't even know. Was your providing this information to an individual harming the informant in some way? Taking something out of their pocket? No, I certainly don't think so. Sure would hate to be the informant and have to look at myself in the mirror every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tirnanog View Post
    Due to someone getting there britches in a bunch over me supplying people with tatoo searches, I am no longer able to do that. Someone notified my resource that I was doing this outside of my job and was asked not to anymore.
    I still have access to the info (it’s part of my job) I can’t do it for anyone else. I’m amazed at how petty some people can be. The info supplied was only helpful to the horse and owner. But someone who pays for the service just couldn’t stand that people were getting their info for nothing
    I’m sorry for the horses that may never get identified and their connections. I hope the others who have supplied the info are able to continue to do so
    That sucks! What kind of petty person would want to get you into trouble for being nice? That's just stupid...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Not to pee in anyone's cheerio's here but tatoo lookups through the JC (whatever they call the website now) are just not that expensive. Yes, it's nice to be the hero, but yes, all us regular people have to shell out our $5 or $10 for the information on tatoo, name, pedigree, whatever. It's just not that much. I actually wondered how someone that didn't work for the JC had "free" access to that information. I don't think that if in the course of someone's employment, they have access to information, not available to the general public for free, that it should be "given away" no matter how well intentioned a reason. Anyone with access to this bb also can access the JC information system. Doing it all under the onus of "helping poor horses and owners" doesn't really fly. Nice to know what old suchafuss did while racing and who his daddy was, but it's not a life or death matter, and it apparently is proprietary information that the JC compiles, maintains, and expects to be compensated for regurgitating. I always thought that a tat lookup and pedigree should be free, but apparently the JC doesn't and they do have administrative costs for maintaining this data base. It would be a bit like going to an apple orchard after hours, picking apples that don't belong to you and taking them to your barn and giving them to all your friends. Sure, THEY think you are wonderful, but the apple guy doesn't like it much. So it isn't really about someone with their panties in a wad, it's about not doing something that you really aren't supposed to be doing in the first place. If you worked for my company, under our corporate policy, you'd be terminated.

Default re: sourpuss

Well, I guess we figured out who just "couldn't stand for it", on ethical grounds of course. BTW. the search is for either $35 or $50, not $5 or $10 and I don't think you need to back up your displeasure because of the poor Jockey Club needing to be paid because of "administration" fees. This service could and should be made available to the general public since all of the original fees to document this were paid by the owner/breeders in any case. Entering them into a database is done at the time of registration and the Jockey Club holds a monopoly on this information. Not that I recommend the Robin Hood approach, but really, do you think they were being robbed?
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, really, except that the OP was griping about her employers not letting her use her access to company information to do freebee searches for her bb buddies. She could have just said "hey, I got caught, can't do it anymore", but no, she has to tell everyone how "wronged" she is and how hateful and petty people are being because she is giving information away that isn't supposed to be free. She got a warning, which was fortunate. There are places that are not so forgiving.

Actually I agree with 2ndy...

It's really not that hard to call up the people with that information and get the research done. I've done it twice, both times when I was a teenager with no income, LOL

It sucks, but there is a system, it's not that hard or expensive to use. It seems that if you have access to a system that usually costs money, and are giving the info out, you are undermining the people you work for (or however it is you have access to that information). It's basically a database, and it's owned by certain people- so giving it out for free is cheating them, IMO.

It's like me working for the agency I work for. I'd be fired for giving out information outside the regulated channels (if not prosecuted). Of course I get asked all the time if I can provide certain info- and it might be "nice" of me to do so, but highly unethical.

It was nice of you, but honestly isn't it sort of unethical? I dunno. I didn't care enough about it to "report you" or anything, and maybe I'm biased by my own workplace rules, but... *shrug*
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

As I said the only reason the Jockey Club "owns" the information is because it has already been paid for, after all, all we are talking about is being able to identify a horse. It does not give you the ownership of the horse or anything else. They monopolize information, but I suppose that goes with the new ideology of the "Information Age". Not really helping out the horses are they? I do not see her committing some ethics violations to simply tell someone who their horse is, the principle reason for the database is to promote the integrity of the Thoroughbred bloodlines and maintain the honesty of the industry as far as racing/breeding/showing. But some people just do not have such a charitable outlook. Sorry that someone believed this to be such a problem that they had to tattle to her employer.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Personally, I have a lot of heartburn with the way the jockey club does business in the first place. The fees to register are exorbitant, $200. to register a foal, $550. to register a yearling, $750 to register a 2 year old - and I think something like $2k for an older horse???? Give me a break! Why on earth should the fees be THAT much more expensive for an older horse. And what do you get for this money, what kind of service? NADA! I lost a mare several years back and learned she had 2 full sisters. I tried to get the name of the last owner of record from the jockey club. They don't divulge that information, "not their job". DUH! I bought her race record, tracked down the last listed trainer who gave me the name of the owner who told me she'd been sold to "somebody" from Tennessee to breed paints. So, I contacted the paint horse association, gave them the name of the mare and asked for any progeny and who the breeder would be. They gave me the breeder's name, town and state, names of the foals she'd had and enough pertinent information I was able to track her down, contacted the owners and bought her. And I wasn't even a paying member! And their registration fees are a fraction of the thoroughbreds. I have, on occasion, had to jump through hoops to get a foal registered and had to jump through hoops to get one named. If I'm not mistaken, all that information is on a computer, how much administration fees can it be to type in a tattoo number and find a freakin' name???????? And I really don't have a problem at paying $10. or so for an answer, but $35.? Give me a break. So, if someone who works there wants to do something as innocuous as providing a name to match a tattoo to some new owner, sure isn't any skin of my nose. Might even be a money maker for the jockey club as they might then pay for the race record for said horse which is substantially cheaper than tracking down a tattoo. So, yeah, I think whoever reported op was being a little petty.

The Jockey Club has very high standards, and much like logging on to websites to do research on individuals, some information is free and some information you have to pay for. Was it petty for someone to narc on the OP, maybe, but the fact remains that if you have access to information that is not supposed to be made available for free and you give it away, just because you can, then you are wrong. This is black and white. Not gray. It does not keep anyone from knowing "who" their horse is. It keeps them from finding out for "free". Nice? Maybe not, but considering the scope and amount of records the JC keeps, should we just presume it doesn't have any overhead? And someone, is PAYING the OP for whatever job it is she does. I guess if she were a nurse and you wanted to find out where your low life ex husband was so you could get your child support check, she'd just access his medical records and let you know where he lives and where he works now. And who else is on his insurance. It isn't really any different, the reason for needing to know information does not outweigh the fact that the dissemination of it was wrong.

This is a horse not a person, very poor comparison. High standards? I think it is purely a money making proposition. The owner of a horse has to pay them to identify their own horse. That is a high standard? This is a silly debate, the Jockey Club is notorious for it's outrageous fees, pure and simple. It is as bad as the AKC and just about as helpful to the animals. Perhaps she did not exercise good judgement but she was not doing so to make herself "heroic", she just thought it was a decent thing to do. How cynical can you get.

John F Kennedy

And I would bet, that petty person accesses COTH and other internet sites, while he/she is at work. That's a no-no too.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I think the point here is that, regardless of how one feels about the OP's actions, it does seem a bit overboard to potentially negatively impact someone's career over something fairly minor they are doing on a BB.

To the OP, I'm sorry and I hope it didn't cause any problems for you.

I've always found the JC reasonable for fees, dealing with, etc. Now, the AQHA - that's a ripoff IMO. I think it's just what you're used to. The JC has a slightly different mindset than some of the other registries. They encourage horses to be registered early to prevent people from only registering horses just prior to racing. Also, despite being the breed registry, it really is a race-oriented registry - hence the spinoff of the PHR. Their system works really well for what it is designed for - but, admittedly is not so user-friendly for OTTB owners.
    Last edited by SleepyFox; Jan. 16, 2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: failed Eng 101

I think it's incredibly petty that someone "reported" you.

The JC tattoo look up is more expensive than it needs to be.

Thanks for you help with tattoo look up in the past.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

I'm not saying it wasn't nice or helpful, but isn't it essentially stealing?

Yeah, someone may have been "petty" in reporting it, but honestly now, you got asked to stop because you were doing something wrong (nice, helpful, but wrong). It's like blaming the cops for pulling you over when you were the one speeding in the first place.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I actually wondered how someone that didn't work for the JC had "free" access to that information.
    I do NOT work for the Jockey Club, don't make ASSumptions.

I don't think that if in the course of someone's employment, they have access to information, not available to the general public for free, that it should be "given away" no matter how well intentioned a reason.
    Why not?

Doing it all under the onus of "helping poor horses and owners" doesn't really fly.
    Why not, what's the problem?

Nice to know what old suchafuss did while racing and who his daddy was, but it's not a life or death matter,
    Sometimes it is.

and it apparently is proprietary information that the JC compiles, maintains, and expects to be compensated for regurgitating.
    I suppose the Jockey club does, but since I don't get my info from them, how does that apply?

It would be a bit like going to an apple orchard after hours, picking apples that don't belong to you and taking them to your barn and giving them to all your friends.
    Not at all...I have complete permission to pick all the apples I want, whenever I want. The apples are there for me to use for the sole purpose of identifying those apples and occasionally share that info.
    The problem came about because of 1 disgruntled person/s who couldn't stand that they BOUGHT there apples and and subsequently told the farmer that they didn't think it was fair and I shouldn't be allowed to share my apples.
    Hence, the new policy is to not share the apples.
    IT ONLY TAKES ONE BAD APPLE TO RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

So it isn't really about someone with their panties in a wad, it's about not doing something that you really aren't supposed to be doing in the first place.
    Another false ASSumption. Let me reiterate, NO ONE, not the farmer, not my boss, not the program from which I get my info, had a problem with me sharing the info until someone made a stink about it.

If you worked for my company, under our corporate policy, you'd be terminated

Thank God I don't work for your company.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    The Jockey Club has very high standards, and much like logging on to websites to do research on individuals, some information is free and some information you have to pay for. Was it petty for someone to narc on the OP, maybe, but the fact remains that if you have access to information that is not supposed to be made available for free and you give it away, just because you can, then you are wrong. This is black and white. Not gray. It does not keep anyone from knowing "who" their horse is. It keeps them from finding out for "free". Nice? Maybe not, but considering the scope and amount of records the JC keeps, should we just presume it doesn't have any overhead? And someone, is PAYING the OP for whatever job it is she does. I guess if she were a nurse and you wanted to find out where your low life ex husband was so you could get your child support check, she'd just access his medical records and let you know where he lives and where he works now. And who else is on his insurance. It isn't really any different, the reason for needing to know information does not outweigh the fact that the dissemination of it was wrong.

You are a real wanker.

Jan. 15, 2008 07:01
    PM2ndyrgal
    It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, really, except that the OP was griping about her employers not letting her use her access to company information to do freebee searches for her bb buddies. She could have just said "hey, I got caught, can't do it anymore", but no, she has to tell everyone how "wronged" she is and how hateful and petty people are being because she is giving information away that isn't supposed to be free. She got a warning, which was fortunate. There are places that are not so forgiving
    I wouldn't call it "griping", just stating a heartfelt fact.

Can I just say that you are an idiot.
    I didn't get "caught" doing anything. IT'S WHAT I DO!!! The only wronged person here is the one who would like to know who there horse is and can't afford to do multiple searches when they're not sure about the tat.
    I DIDN'T GET A WARNING....A new policy has been implemented to not share the info,which is at my fingertips,because of some stingy, cold hearted, jealous moron.
    But that is life... It only take one jerk to ruin for everyone.

DO NOT BEGIN TO PRETENT YOU KNOW WHAT MY COMPANY'S POLICY IS.