The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Take Ten!- Your picks of the 3 y/o crop

Well to bring this forum back to its purpose, to be about racing (LOTS of ID and OTTB talk here lately), I was wondering about everyone's opinions on this years 3 y/o crop.

I just got an e-mail about ST-Publishings Take Ten! which is a fantasty stable for 3 y/o's on the TC track. In reading, I realized, I really don't know many 3 y/o's this year! I knew a lot last year, and most every year previous.

So who are you favorites, and who do you think will be on the TC track come May??

BTW- here is the site for those who want to register:
    http://www.st-publishing.com/taketen/details.html

Funny I just got this email too and thought it would be a good bit of fun. Looks like SteeleRdr beat me to it!

Haha, yeah my e-mail stays open all day at work, so I was on top of the e-mail when it came in.

So, were there any 3 y/o's that made a splash as 2 y/o's in your mind Glimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleRdr View Post
    So, were there any 3 y/o's that made a splash as 2 y/o's in your mind Glimmer?
    The thread "Your Picks for 2008 Derby?" (or something like that) sheds some light on would be contenders to date. I'm sure a horse like War Pass - short of an injury - will be breaking from a post at Churchill come May 3rd.

It really does get tough weeding out the contenders from pretenders so soon. It's been a long time since I've seen a credible runner at Saratoga (at 2) being the powerhouse going into the Derby.

If Bob Baffert had sent out Maimonides in the San Rafael,at Santa Anita we would've known if he was still a possible star or not. Btw what ever happened to the Zaya/Baffert impressive 2-yr old J Be K?

Pyro is consistently on a lot of lists top 10 lists although I'm not seeing it. Broke his maiden at Churchill, finished 3rd in an allowance at Spa, 2nd in the Champagne at Spa, then over a wretched Jersey track he took a distant 2nd in the BC Jv. Yep a consistent runner but not exactly wowing me.

Pick 10 3-year-olds, two trainers and two jockeys for your stable.
    With trainers if someone didn't put in Bill Mott they'd obviously be out of the loop as to TB racing. If the volume of scores he had with 2-yr old talent carries through into the spring then he'll have more starters then Todd Pletcher or even Nick Zito.

Folks should just take a shot and create their fantasy stable Obviously those horses who are going to be lightly raced before the Derby will have less chances to earn points ...
    Last edited by Glimmerglass; Jan. 14, 2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typo - doh!

Oh fabulous! Thanks for sharing. This will certainly make me do some studying. Picking 10 will be hard at this point...I'll check out the site tomorrow, but to be clear, you can't change them once you pick them?

Just a reminder to keep thinking about this ...

Are you guys using using COTH names so we can have a little fun watching each other?

Nah, I submitted mine and just created a stable name. I could have used my barn's name, but I wanted something more creative that sounded like a racing barn.

They will also post names with stables (If it's anything like the "pick six" for the steeplechasing, which I can't wait for to start!!!)

Okay I just signed up and did my picks so, where can I see my stable? Anybody know? Or do I just sit back and watch for emails?
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

I assume ST is running it just like they did the Pick Six. They'll have your stable up soon. I guess around the closing date, Jan 30, they'll have all the stables up and they'll start ranking them.

This is exciting!
    CRAYOLA Posse: PLUM

The cutoff date is drawing closer ...

http://www.st-publishing.com/taketen/details.html

I'll use my same user name in this contest

Ok, me too! But don't laugh when I bomb!!!!!!! I just need to do this quick before I forget.

The folks at The Steeplechase Times (putting on this contest for fun) have provided a neat handy cheat sheet of would-be competitors.

Its a nice resource at this point in time covering almost every contender for the Kentucky Derby with at least one remark:

ST-Publishing (PDF format) Derby Analysis

I submitted mine. I hated to do it before the deadline, but I figured I wouldn't have time between now and then. Although with my luck, my whole stable will probably injure themselves by Thursday.

I used my COTH name, so please try not to laugh too hard when you see me at the bottom of the rankings!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    I submitted mine.....I used my COTH name
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh don't worry, I picked mine last week, so I'm sure I'll be near the bottom. I know MUCH more about 'chasers than flat track horses!

I posted mine too and used my COTH name-- which is also my user name for a lot of things-- this will be fun to watch and participate in!! We can have a little for COTHers only contest amongst ourselves
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I agree! But what can we do amoungst ourselves? Bragging rights?

I really wish I would have had this to read BEFORE I made my picks!!!
    http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43400

Quote Originally Posted by miss_critic View Post
    I really wish I would have had this to read BEFORE I made my picks!
    Here is another I really wish I had seen before my picks were made Friday!

Dallas/FtWorth Star Telegram 1-27-08 "101 Horses with Triple Crown Potential"

and why is that?

Well I didn't know the following below, for example, which would've dropped him from my list.

36. Etched: "The Nashua winner would be among the leaders, but he's taking the Dubai road"