The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Irish draught and Irish sporthorse breeders

I was thinking of trying something new this year.....would like to breed a nice Irish sporthorse for myself and although I know quite a bit about warmbloods I know nothing of the Irish horses. What do you look for in a TB mare to cross on these stallions? Who are the big name, successful horses in the US? Where are the big breeding farms located? Successful producers? Any information would be helpful or direct me to a website! Thank you!

HI,

GREAT idea! You may wish to try starting your search here: http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/roster.php?sunid=17

Best of Luck!
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

incahoots is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks Erinwillow-I did visit that site and have been perusing over their stallion roster. I am looking for subjective opinions on stallions if anyone wants to chime in!

I think it depends on what you want? I'm fairly certain the only full ID stallion (available fresh) with offspring moving up the ranks to GP is O'Leary's Irish Diamond. Edited to add, I think he himself probably has the most impressive show career as well, jumping and dressage. Frozen gives you some more lovely options, like Cruising, Sea Crest, Sir Rivie, Jumbo, CoolCorron Cool Diamond. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Kegansporthorses stallion Macha Breeze was eventing and doing well, she might chime in on him.

What are you breeding for, what are your goals?

Acorn Hill Farm has some very nice, successful offspring, but they are not affiliated with the IDHSNA- so how important are those papers to you?

incahoots is offline Working Hunter Premium Member
    Original Poster

I would like what we all would like I think.....some jump, nice enough movement for lower level dressage, a good mind, less buzz than a full TB but still plenty of energy, good bone and great feet. I like a taller horse as I am quite tall and need some substance to take up my leg. A good engine, long neck and good topline. I am wary of frozen, I tried three doses on two different mares last year with no pregnancies-ouch in the pocketbook. As far as registration papers go.....can you get a certificate of pedigree to prove parentage? What if you have a breeding animal?

So you're not looking at doing it for a business? You'll be keeping this foal, right?

Taller... how tall do you need?
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Quote Originally Posted by okggo View Post
    I think it depends on what you want? I'm fairly certain the only full ID stallion (available fresh) with offspring moving up the ranks to GP is O'Leary's Irish Diamond. Edited to add, I think he himself probably has the most impressive show career as well, jumping and dressage. Frozen gives you some more lovely options, like Cruising, Sea Crest, Sir Rivie, Jumbo, CoolCorron Cool Diamond. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Kegansporthorses stallion Macha Breeze was eventing and doing well, she might chime in on him.

What are you breeding for, what are your goals?

Acorn Hill Farm has some very nice, successful offspring, but they are not affiliated with the IDHSNA- so how important are those papers to you?
    Sir Rivie has sired some REALLY nice stock in Ireland. He's a lovely athletic stallion. Our friend back home had an absolutely stunning colt by him that he is keeping as a stallion prospect. He's gorgeous. I would have taken him home with me had I been able to.

CoolCorron Cool Diamond: My Grandfather helped start him under saddle and had nothing but good things to say about him especially his temperament. He said he was a huge pet and would have kissed you if he was able to. He's been a phenomenally successful performance stallion too.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

For lower levels, jumping and dressage, I think any would get you there, if they cross well conformationally, etc. with your mare.

Taller...not all of these guys add height, some of that really depends on the mare and what/how much you are trying to add. King of Diamonds (one of the great jumping lines) for example adds bone, but often the mare has a lot to do with height. None of the IDs I mentioned are huge, Cruising and Sea Crest were in the 16 h range I think, Sir Rivie is a bit more but you don't want frozen...

Touch of the Blues isn't standing fresh any more, and I know there are a couple others that do add to height. I think a Sport Horse with some leggy TB blood would be more of a guarantee, albeit still a crap shoot. I've heard Huntingfield Proud Tim is throwing the height and some nice looking foals.

Not sure which reliably pass on a long neck...others may have a better idea.

Papers, for Acorn Hill boys I think they are PHR only. My understanding, if the stallion you pick is not approved by IDHSNA you can't get the papers from them. With AH it's not a lack of talent thing, they just never presented their horses with them or decided to join.

There is a Clover Hill son in Canada that looks really nice....Clover Cliste not sure his size though.

Honestly, for what it sounds like you want, a lower level horse with a decent jump, I think most (if not all) would do the job for you.

And there are some very nice up and coming sport horses, Formula One for one.

I have a little purebred ID baby who's 15hh at 9 mo. I'm just sharing his bloodlines, he's in no way, shape, or form for sale- he's MINE! His mom is 16.3 as 5yo and got her height from her sire, King of Diamonds (since her mom is only 15.3). His dad is The Pride of Gloster (Clover Hill x Bantry's Pride by Pride of Shaunlara), and only 16.1, but I'm wondering if he throws size or not since my wee one is so big (I'm still hoping he'll finish out under 17hh ).

They have enough substance and girth that I doubt you will have a problem with your leg being taken up or looking too big for the horse.

I think the crosses with Holsteiners are amazing... but that would probably be more costly to aquire a nice mare to breed. I think the Irish head is pretty dominant in passing to the offspring, so I would look for a mare with top build and nice movement that you can stick the sire's head onto.

AdAblurr02 breeds IDSHs and may be able to chime in!

You'll get lots of opinions here I'm sure.

When I was breeding my ISH baby, it was important to me that the TB mare have substance of her own. Yes, I wanted a heavier ISH, but I think breeding one extreme type to another is risky - no matter what you are breeding for (hunter, dressage, eventing...). You don't know what you'll get.
    I'd hate it if the foal got some heavy parts from the sire and some light parts from the dam and end up mismatched. You guys know what I mean - big body on spindly legs or big head on little neck, big horse with little feet, etc.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by incahoots View Post
    Thanks Erinwillow-I did visit that site and have been perusing over their stallion roster. I am looking for subjective opinions on stallions if anyone wants to chime in!

I also really like SEA QUEST! He has a gorgeous Sport filly up in Canada that I'd give my right arm for. . gorgeous! I, of course, am partial to the greys as well
    Willow Run Connemaras
    Home of: "Willow Boy" (*Chiltern Colm ex *Sillbridge Miranda by Thunderbolt)
    ~Irish Connemara Ponies for Sport and Pleasure~
    www.willowrunconnemaras.com

Thanks Okggo for the mention of Mac. He's not a big name, and we aren't a big farm. I haven't had him out competing as much as I wanted due to some family things that have taken priority. I'm very much an amatuer owner/rider, who gets very stressed and nervous at shows, and I plan to spend the next season at schooling shows to work out MY issues. Mac takes excellent care of me, frequently doing whatever he can to keep me in the tack when I blow things.

Anyway, Mac is consistently producing tall, substantial foals with great minds. He has added a minimum of 2" of height AND bone to each mare he has bred, and stamps his foals with his neck, shoulder, and hip. They all have his uphill canter, and are an improvement over the dam in all gaits. Take a look at the foals on his page...they all look like him, and are out of a WIDE variety of mares. His oldest are starting thier careers, one is doing well in the hunters in Florida, and two others are starting Eventing.

If Mac isn't what you are looking for, I'd second the recommendation of Huntingfield Proud Tim. He is consistantly producing excellent foals that fit the type of what you mention wanting.

Good luck in your search!
    Megan

Gotta give a shout out to one of my mare's relatives, Bridon Beale Street...he looks like he is turning out beautifully! By the same stallion (as my mare), Mountain Pearl, who returned to Ireland last year.

http://www.lonetreefarm.net/stallions.htm

Incahoots there have been some good suggestions for you on here already, most Irish Draught and Irish Sport Horse stallions will probably offer you the "good sort" you are looking for, thats the wonderful thing about them - but dont underplay the mares portion of the equation.

Leggier TB mares tend to be my choice of cross with most of the RID stallions as RID can put a bigger torso to leg ratio than I like for my North American customers- of course everyone has different likes and dislikes.
    I have crossed a wide variety of mares both TB and Irish Sport Horses, to Full Draught and to Irish Sport Horse stallions. The brains - uniformly wonderful, but the phenotypes required vary, for the jumpers /eventers my buyers prefer the 1/8 ID,7/8 TB ISH, for dressage 1/2 breds have been more successful for me.
    Whichever stallion you choose, it goes without saying, should complement and be a good combination with your mare.
    www.cadoganfarm.com

If you're lucky enough to be Irish... You're lucky enough!

I'm pretty biased since I love my Macha baby so much, but I think he's a great choice and now that we have our own place, I'm contemplating getting a nice TB broodie to make another one.

My mare is coming 5 and is just what I hoped for when I went looking for an Irish cross. (1/2 ID, 1/2 TB) She's a big mare (16.3, 1400 lbs) but with a lot of elegance. She has the gaits to do well in dressage and jumps like an old pro -- quiet and easy to the fences with lovely form. Brave, brave, brave.

Touch of the Blues and Steeped in Luck are another two I'll be looking at when/if I get that broodie.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I ADORE Foxglen Himself. Love him love him love him.

www.foxglenhimself.com
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

I love Foxglen Himself! I have a two year old and she is fabulous. I also worked at the Damon Williams farm a few years back. I got to ride Glen several times while I was there and he was AMAZING! His jump was soooo scopey. I also rode Western Sun. He was really cool.

I also am vey interested in breeding to Stepped in Luck RID. I think he is in Canada. He looks superb. But Glen is truley unique.

Oh and in response to an earlier post on a stallion with GP offspring. Foxglen's foals have not seen the GP level because mine isnt even broke yet. But fear not, we will be making our mark!

Other than the usual caveats applicable when choosing any mare for performance horse breeding, the TB mare you use depends on the stallion you wish to use and your aspirations. One stallion isn't the answer for every mare or vice versa. Some Irish stallions don't throw a lot of bone due to the amount of TB in their background so you won't want a fine legged mare. A few stallions tend to throw the Draught body but not the bone to go with it. Some throw tall, some not. Some throw more substance than you may want in an upper level eventer. Some throw themselves, some let the mare come through. In other words...research research research...ask to see photos/stats of the mares the foals are out of and/or get mare owner references.

Some additional suggestions for your stallion file:

Of the NA-based Irish stallions, Brandenburg's Windstar probably has the most successful group of youngsters competing right now both in eventing and straight dressage. He certainly has the pedigree to back it up being by I'm a Star out of a Draught mare with KOD and Sea Crest in her background. Crosses well with American TBs though I don't think they tend to be overly tall.

The previously mentioned Rhyd's Sea Quest is Sir Rivie's full brother and is available FRESH as he is in Canada. He stood locally for several years and there are several very nice youngsters by him out of American TB mares starting their eventing careers in our area. They definitely can jump and tend to be taller.

If you are looking for height, Huntingfield Proud Tim is very reliable in that department. Most of the offspring I know of have finished in the 17 hh range, out of a variety of mare heights (my 15.3hh mare produced a filly that was over 16.3hh at age 2 1/2 - way too tall for me but you said you are looking for height). He seems to cross well with TBs as well and always throws a nice temperament.

Another ISH stallion with interesting bloodlines is Gypsy Diamond - he is from the same female family as Leslie Law's 4 star brothers Shear l'Eau and Shear H20. This horse throws a gorgeous front and nice movement though he hasn't been competed much due to the death of his previous owner. Not sure what the new owner plans for him.

Snowford Bellman has a 1/2 bred son (again out of an American TB mare) in training with the O'Connors. Bellman is a son of Slievenamon who is the same Irish stallion that Denny's Formula One goes back to, and his damsire is Skippy, who was also the sire of Jumbo (sire of Badminton winner Headly Brittania et al). Bellman's sons Harkaway Lionhawk and Winmaur Sergeant Pepper are worth looking at as well. You will not get a huge amount of additional height on a small mare with these guys but if you need great movement with your jump there are no other RIDs that produce it with the consistency these three stallions do. Great feet in this line.

Also agree with looking at O'Leary's Irish Diamond. He doesn't usually produce a lot of additional height on a smaller mare but that is not a concern if you start with a decent sized mare. Definitely a proven stallion and probably has more youngsters competing in the jumpers than any other American based RID stallion (most out of TB mares). Super temperaments, super limbs, natural jumpers.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Last edited by Waterwitch; Jan. 14, 2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: adding additional pedigree info
    Liz
    Lionwood Irish Draught Horses
    irishdraught.co

Quote Originally Posted by Waterwitch View Post

The previously mentioned Rhyd's Sea Quest is Sir Rivie's full brother and is available FRESH as he is in Canada. He stood locally for several years and there are several very nice youngsters by him out of American TB mares starting their eventing careers in our area. They definitely can jump and tend to be taller.
    I didn't now Sir Rivie had a brother in North America. I was very impressed by the foals I have seen by him in Ireland
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook