The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default color question

I found out that a chestnut TB mare I recently got is probably in foal ( I know she is in foal - whos the daddy is the question) to a cremolla QH stallion. What are the various colors that could come out of this? Could I get a Palimino? The color of the foal may help me figure out who the Dad is if it's something unique to a chestnut and Creamollla (or however you spell it). I had thought she was in foal to a bay TB. She is a rescue.

TIA - Jill

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

cremello x chestnut = 100% palomino

so if it's not a pally, you'll know the cremello is not the daddy.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

That's the info I needed! Now I have to figure out if I want to wish for a Palomino...

Jill

Quote Originally Posted by f4leggin View Post
    That's the info I needed! Now I have to figure out if I want to wish for a Palomino...

Jill
    LoL Wishing for one or not if the stallion is the cremello than you will get a palomino no questions asked.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
    LoL Wishing for one or not if the stallion is the cremello than you will get a palomino no questions asked.
    I think she might be wondering if she would rather hope for either a palomino TB x QH or a bay or chestnut TB

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by spookhorse View Post
    I think she might be wondering if she would rather hope for either a palomino TB x QH or a bay or chestnut TB

Hmm...
    Well then I take my post back lol. She may also get just a black from a BayxChestnut as well
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Be warned that Palamino babies don't always look palamino at birth or for the first little while. You might want to check out on some websites what they look like (early in life) so you don't get all excited (or let down) for nothing.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Are you sure he's a cremello? If he's instead a perlino (they look the same on appearance) then he can only produce a buckskin with a chestnut, so IF the cremello/perlino is the sire you can only get a palomino or a buckskin from the cross.

A perlino can sire a palomino if he's Ee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Are you sure he's a cremello? If he's instead a perlino (they look the same on appearance)
    They actually do look different once you know what to look for Perlinos will have a reddish/orangish tinge to their mane and tail - some call it "apricot". Cremellos have white/pale cream manes and tails.

then he can only produce a buckskin with a chestnut, so IF the cremello/perlino is the sire you can only get a palomino or a buckskin from the cross.
    A perlino can produce a buckskin, smokey black, or palomino with a chestnut. A perlino is E?A?CrCr. The dilute's a given. But if he's Ee, he can produce a palomino - ee??Crcr. If he's E?A? and the chestnut is not AA, then smokey black is a possibility - EeaaCrcr. And he can pass his E, A, and Cr to get the buckskin - EeA?Crcr

If the perlino is EEAACrCr, then the only possibility with any black, bay, or chestnut horse, is buckskin.

Wow - all this great info.. Well, if there is a question, when he is (oh, did I say he? why would I say that - I want a she) born, I will post pictures.

Yes, I was refering to.. Do I want a palomino that I will know is a TB/QH cross, or another color that is either from the TB stallion (which is what I was expecting), or another mystery stallion - when I put it that way, I am hoping for a Palomino - at least then I'll have a good chance of knowing who the father was. And maybe hope for registration - the TB stallion I thought it was going to be was a pretty cool stallion - problem is when I tracked down the current owner, he said he has had the stallion for 14 months which means he couldn't have bred my mare last spring. What a mess. And, my mare isn't the only one in this group of rescues - there were 10 mares, and more than a few are pregnant.

Jill

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

They actually do look different once you know what to look for Perlinos will have a reddish/orangish tinge to their mane and tail - some call it "apricot". Cremellos have white/pale cream manes and tails.
    Or, in the case of babies in winter, they just look DIRTY on top.

My poor perley filly just looks constantly FILTHY. Like "how did the roots of your mane get so dirty?" OH--it's your dorsal stripe... She probably has dun too, so hers is a little more pronounced...

Sorry for the hijack, just been seeing it daily lately.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)