The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This is real bad news

It would be a tremendous shame if this would happen and a huge Cultural loss

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/b..._Riding_School

Every time you ride, your are either teaching or un-teaching your horse.

Default Austrian tradition is shaky

Bosendorfer, the famous Austrian piano firm was in such bad shape that is was (just this past month) sold to Yamaha of Japan. I'm not surprised that the SRS is having financial trouble as well. Tradition costs lots and with the Euro where it is against the dollar tourism is down. Hopefully the new management will be able to salvage it.

That is so sad! I hope the government or something helps them out, it's certainly a huge piece of history and heritage for the country.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

"Animal cruelty" charges, because they now have to perform an average of 2 times per week, instead of 1? Bet the average Austrian has to work a bit more than that, and for a lot less than 10K Euros monthly. Sheesh.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default As stated before

As stated before http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=128188 the problem started when the Austrian government told the SRS that they have to become self-supporting. But believe me Frau Elisabeth Guertler managed to get the famous Sacher Hotel in Vienna and Salzburg back on the road again.

She'll manage, but you probably don't see them that often anymore in the USA, because of the travelling expenses together with the low dollar.

They must not be charging enough for performances (although it does sound like they were top-heavy, paying too many administrators).

US tour cancelled!

I hope financial changes are made carefully, so top riders can afford to stay and invaluable tradition can continue...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl View Post
    US tour cancelled!

I hope financial changes are made carefully, so top riders can afford to stay and invaluable tradition can continue...
    I had tickets for one of the local venues. I was grumpy as hell!
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

The srs was coming to the WEST COAST 2008, but the tour was canceled also because of outbreaks of CEM.

A 'local' venue is not the SRS, but the white stallion based in Fl....they are still about.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Well, they now have a competent woman in charge of those boys. She'll get things in shape
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

How the heck can they be in financial difficulty?

Its virtually impossible to get a ticket and its always full! Performance tickets are a minimum of £90 ($180) and the merchandise is pretty expensive and very marketable.

THey are not just having the buidling and the stallions, but the breeding operation at well, and if 17 people are getting almost 200k$ a year...thats alot. Remember that the performances are not daily (schooling is). I do think many would pay to sit and watch ('mere') schooling. Are they better off at home, then on tour, probably. But if they are actively breed, that causes problems as well.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I hope they pull out of the red and stay in business! They really are amazing horses and so fun to watch although I have not seen them in years.

The schooling sessions are also ordinarily fully attended and they cost £30 ($60) per person.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    The schooling sessions are also ordinarily fully attended and they cost £30 ($60) per person.
    Shoot, I paid to tour the stud at Piber and see two men independently schooling young stallions WTC. Fascinating, yet obviously uneventful. I think it was 18 Euros to get in, and there were tons of people there. The whole of the SRS and breeding programs are certainly lucrative, and I can't imagine the sort of overhead that would eat up all that income.

Then again, we are talking horses, aren't we?

I don't know what they are talking about that she was formerly at the helm of the Sacher Hotel; I was there over Christmas and she was there in the Cafe noticing that the napkins were slightly crooked and one of the display cakes hadn't been presented correctly. It is a family owned hotel and no way no how is she not prominently at its helm.

If anyone can fix the SRS, she can. (I thought the display cake looked just fine, but then again I was further away than she was and am not so up on my lore of cake display.)

Well the cakes are fantastic so there you go then.

Well the cakes are fantastic so there you go then.
    typical man always belly thinks belly 1st - haha

i have never seen them something i would like to - but there you go

I think we've probably still got one in the freezer. Have you every carried a Sacher Torte through airport security

Wink

I think we've probably still got one in the freezer. Have you every carried a Sacher Torte through airport security
    No but I'd be deighted to try. Will you lend me yours? (Don't they have an icon licking its lips?)