The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Quotes you`d rather not hear!

This afternoon Greg Davis, our farrier, was putting a shoe back on a mare who`d had a series of abcesses. Her whole foot was pretty well chewed up, from all the soaking, etc.
    As he started to nail, he turned to Sarah Heubner, who was holding her, and said:
    "I don`t know if you pray or not, but if you do, this might be a good time to start!"

Got any others?

During a dressage lesson with a VERY well known trainer:

Snoops was having trouble and the trainer says...

"I didn't see a disabled sticker on your car"

Default One for the books...

This applies whether your looking to change barns, trainers, horses, or even significant others (which is when I made up my favorite saying years ago!)...

"The grass is never greener; only fertilized..."

At any point in time while I'm away from the farm, I'd hate to get the call: "Honey, bad news. There was a terrible accident and Legacy had to be gelt."

Haven't heard it (knocks on wood), yet.
    Andy Glenn
    Glenbaer Farm, LLC
    www.glenbaer.com

Ok ... I promise not to hijack the thread, but I couldn't resist this one.

My vet enters the barn and finds me holding by beloved (now lawn ornament) ISH with his leg dangling. He looks at the horse, turns and looks at me, and asks...

"Do you have insurance"...

Surely that is one you never wanna hear!!!

"Maybe you should try another sport," from a friend trying to teach me to row a riverraft. Fortunately, haven't heard it from my trainer yet (but then I am somewhat hard of hearing).

The Beautiful Thermal Belt of Upstate Carolina!

" ..... that was so pretty...... just like a hunter round...... "

"What did you do to piss (*insert BNT here*) off that she gave you THIS horse?"

Haha, Denny do you remember that one?
    "Real magic can never be made by offering someone else's liver. You must tear out your own, and not expect to get it back. The true witches know that." ~ Peter S. Beagle

The best zingers are delivered totally deadpan, and leave you laughing (or crying) hours after, every time you think of them again.
    I`ve been the recipient of a number of great putdown-ers, like the one about the disabled sticker, but I still think this one from Le Goff is the all time best.
    I`d jumped around the advanced track at Rolex, way back in the early 80s, on Core Buff, and jumped the wrong last fence, a prelim fence (green), next to the adv. one (blue).
    Thinking I`d gone clear, I was strutting around, bragging, when Jack walks up, and says:
    "Denny, when the gods rained stupidness on the earth, they forgot to give you an umbrella."

"If you think you can jump that fence, you're right and if you think you can't, you're right"

Hate that one cuz I often think I can't. I'd rather be told to just shut up and do it.

"Have you ever considered tennis?"

And one from the Maui Jim 2-star this year:

"Now in the ring is Bruce Davidson, winner of multiple gold medals, representing the US in the Olympics, Pan Am Games, and World Cup. He has competed at Badminton, Burlghey, and Rolex."

"Next in the ring is Reed Ayers, he didn't hit a tree on cross-country."

Reed

"you need booze"

That good ey?

Rayers- Ha ha ha!!!! I just laughed so hard.... Funny because I was just reading that about you hitting a tree in that beautiful picture... LOL!
    "Personally speaking, if for whatever reason I was stuck with absolutely only having to chose one breed, then it would without hesitation be a thoroughbred."

"That was certainly the <i>fastest</i> dressage test we've seen today." (With my old OTTB mare. She could outtrot a standardbred.)

Of course, when a client asks me what I think of their horse and I think that he's so rotten I wouldn't feed him if he were dogfood, I always say, "He has such character," or "so much personality!"

My most memorable "zinger" was during a dressage lesson, and the (nameless) BNT said, "Well, a horse's greatest teachers are his parents. And, unfortunately, your horse didn't have good ones."

OUCH!!!

Default And Avra....

Oh dear! People tell me my horse has tons of personality and character all the time!! Ouch again!

How about this one:

"Well, what do you think my horse is worth?"

"How much does he weigh?"
    Oh, no, he's gone to that Thoroughbred Place in his little mind.....

An oft quoted one for me, "For god d*** Denny, don't be such a passenger"! This is said by Denny with the appropriate Jack Le Goff accent. This has been directed at me.
    I love to use this one on my students, too.

Well, a few years ago I was doing a clinic with a very-well-known-multiple-olympic-gold-medal-winning rider, and after I almost ran him over on the bank complex, he said to me:

"Kaaaaaate, Cahn't you do ANYTHING right?" Ouch! (Insert Aussie accent )

Now, looking back on it, I definitely realise that just because I could make it around a 3' jumper course did not mean I should have been schooling Novice and Training X-C fences: On a green horse...with a plain snaffle...and no bat...or any spurs....or a running martingale...in front of said multiple-gold-medal-winning-rider.

The highlight of the clinic: losing both stirrups while jumping into a large coffin complex and living to tell the tale! I think that comment was something like, "Well you actually can ride a little bit, cahn't you?"

The snooty Dressage coach at my school went up to my friend after she had a particularly bad lesson, and said, "Wow, I've never seen you ride so poorly." Ummm, thanks?!?!?

From Bruce: Well, that's what I'd call "Road and Tracks" dressage.
    Bruce again: He's got as much stupid as he has jump. That could work to you benefit...possibly.
    Ralph: He sure does stop quick. Maybe he'd make a nice polo horse.
    "Gallop as if you were to die tomorrow, jump as if you were to live forever."