The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    Reg -- I have a question for you. I recently got a Canon 20D -- but sadly got it in the fall, so none of my photo subjects have been un-fuzzy enough to share so far! It came with a kit lens that I think is 18-55, and then my husband bought me for Christmas the 70-300, which I haven't really had time to play with yet -- nor weather, nor subjects that looked decent enough to want to take their picture with the MUD we are currently experiencing here!!

I noticed on the Pam Norton photos that they looked a bit different than some others I have seen. I wondered if they were taken from a greater distance and zoomed in with a bigger lens. Do you know if that is the case? Somehow the perspective in them looks different, but I can't put my finger on why -- probably because I know next to NOTHING about photography!!!
    First of all please don't ask me how to use your camera as I barely am able to use my own. I have been a Nikon guru for over thirty years so I know almost nothing of other systems and little beyond my needs in this system... and that is being brutally honest.

There are tons of good little cameras however. I think you will find your 70-300 lens will be your most useful lens with horses. Yes distortion is the main item with horses. They are large objects and distort easily. As I am mainly an action photographer by trade, what I see in shooting 1000's of photos every week is that the longer lenses do compress, they also knock out backgrounds, particularly if your depth of field is set to the lower settings. Is it a 2.8 lens? If you are shooting action in lower light, you will need your 2.8. Also you speak of fuzzy factor. Read your manual cover to cover, memorize it. Go through all the steps to set the camera how it will be best functional for your needs. You need an encyclopedia nowadays to just set these cameras up for operation. There are probably various settings for your autofocus. C is continuous, which means press the button part way down and on your horse, follow his action, pick your moment. It will be continuously in focus. I do not use this setting for jumping horses but I do in flat classes and at liberty. S is the setting I use to photograph over jumps. I prefocus at the jump, keep finger pressure to keep the focus in tact, either wait with fence image cropped for horse to jump into frame or go back and pan to jump, shooting at moment I choose of him in the air. There is also an M setting which is manual focus and that is if you want something other than what the camera will do for you. At my age and with the eye strain I undergo annually, I only say... Thank God for Autofocus. It has opened so much in the way of possibilites to equine photography. These new cameras are quite amazing really, and I truly doubt I understand even a fraction of their capabilities.

We refer to the lens number by the lowest number. The two lenses that I have been putting the most use to in the past couple of years is the 2.8 Nikkor 80-200 lens and the Nikkor VR 80-400. Both good working lenses for my needs. I know many photographer curse the 80-400 cause it is not super fast in its reaction time and there is a slight range out near the maximum where focusing can get a tad fuzzy. Not always but ocassionally. Therefore they toss it, but quite honestly knowing the weaknesses and understanding its strengths has been the main reason I love the lens so much. It can zoom all over a ring. I can walk the perimiter, see the course fully, decide where my best shots will be on background and then decide at that time my best shot. Closeups, full fences, horizontal or verical, and so on. The same applies to whatever you are doing. Conformation included. In answer to your question about the telephoto compression, yes, it is part of what makes the shot beautiful and the affect it has on background also plays a factor. Look through the Quarter Horse Journal at all those muscle shots of Quarter Horses. Very much compression and angle, and good lighting and of course the "magic of photoshop". Where would we be today without photoshop? All those lovely stallions standing without lead shanks....photoshop...photoshop.... Today nothing is as we see it. Cosmetically enhanced I believe is the term.

Get out and practice. Mud shots can be great fun, particularly with ponies. Candid fun stuff, and an excellent way to iron out your shooting limitations. Practice Practice Practice.

I will show you a photo I took of just that .... MUD... in very late light, low, amazing detail quality at a very very low light setting. We have here in Nova Scotia the highest/lowest tides in the world. This is a photo taken of a river bank at low tide and the clay banks. What occurs is twice a day you have a river full to the brim and then you have no river. Even "Mud" as you refer to it, can be an interesting subject for a photo if you look at it carefully and see its own beauty in light and composition. I perhaps am going mad but I have reached a point where I think if you understand good basics in photography, it can be applied to any subject.

Is your mud problem anything like this????

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...s/_RCH4015.jpg
    Last edited by Hocus Focus; Jan. 9, 2008 at 07:01 PM.

Don't worry -- no "how to" questions from me! I don't even know enough to know that I don't know "how to"! LOL

Was just curious if the "zoom" was part of the effect of what I was liking in those shots. I've never tried a conformation shot that way -- now I'm anxious to give it a try!

I am SUCH a NOVICE when it comes to Photoshop. I'm always astounded when I read things about how people can make their horses look better with it. If I tried to do something like that, trust me, you'd be able to tell!!! The results would NOT be pretty!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

While all can be fun in jest, it is best to keep alterations to a minimum regarding horses. Lead shanks, halters, even removal of background noise are all highly acceptable and requests to put ears are also popular requests, there are limits to what is considered "politically correct", and I prefer to not bend those rules personally.

Some helpful photo hints.

NOTHING photographs well out in the open on a bright sunny day with the sun directly overhead. It creates harsh shadows and too much contrast. Subjects in outdoor shots look best when taken in the early morning, or in the late afternoon when the (less intense) sun is lighting the FRONT of the subject, not the top. Alternatively, shade works good, but you may want to use a flash to add some frontal light. Also, overcast days provide a "softer" light.

Use as much "telephoto" as you can. Get as far away from the subject as you can, and then zoom in. It compresses everything, and looks SO much better. DON'T use a wide angle lens, and move as close as you can. It makes everything look distorted!

In addition to using a telephoto (or "long") lens, use a wide aperture -- this creates less "depth of field". In other words, you can make the background blurry, and therefore less distracting.

What NOT to do, example 1. http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...rse_id=1131547 -- sun directly overhead, harsh contrast, up too close with a wide-ish angle lens, looks distorted.

Ex 2: See 2nd photo (head shot) http://dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php...rse_id=1122536 WAY to close with a wide-ish angle lens. Look at how tiny and distorted his legs look compared to his head!

What TO do: http://www.schockemoehle.com/englisch/s333934.html Both of these lovely shots of Royal Hit are utilizing a telephoto lens, zoomed in. Especially the "head shot". Notice also, on the head shot, that the sun is lighting the side of the subject, not the top. Also, that the background is blurred out.

Another example -- telephoto lens (zoomed in), wide aperture (blurred background), not backlit or taken at high noon (notice the horses shadow is behind him) http://www.superiorequinesires.com/s...tisfaction.htm

SOME photographic knowledge can make a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    Use as much "telephoto" as you can. Get as far away from the subject as you can, and then zoom in. It compresses everything, and looks SO much better. DON'T use a wide angle lens, and move as close as you can. It makes everything look distorted!

In addition to using a telephoto (or "long") lens, use a wide aperture -- this creates less "depth of field". In other words, you can make the background blurry, and therefore less distracting.
    OH, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!! This was PRECISELY the information I needed. I already know about what kind of days are best, lighting etc -- but THIS was the kind of info I really have been needing.

And I think you just explained the reason I've NEVER been able to get a good head shot! I can't wait to try! Now if it would just STOP RAINING!!!! UGH!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Reg - cyberworld was working really slowly earlier today. Try the links again - they aren't that big.
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Mommy View Post
    Reg - cyberworld was working really slowly earlier today. Try the links again - they aren't that big.
    Yes now it loaded quickly. That was that nice A Fine Romance colt that you lost is it not? What a darn shame that. Nice colt. What kind of a mare was he out of?

This is a picture I took at Upperville this past year, right before my mare won the class. Please feel free to pick it apart; I'm not the greatest at taking pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaggieStandRightUpperville07.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	143.2 KB 
ID:	19630  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Here are a couple of mine ...

Chai Latte - I was REALLY pleased how this photo turned out, in a natural state, with no one holding or posing her at all. She would have been 4 or 5 days old in this photo. I was also very pleased that I was able to get the perfect placement on the photo - mid barrel - as well, without her moving away:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...stand-side.jpg

I really like the pose on this youngster - Annie - shown at about 3 months of age. I was really pleased at her leg placement, angle of her head and neck and her overall expression as well. The only thing I would have liked to change was perhaps having her hind legs a smidge further back than they were:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...nnie-Jul06.jpg

I am REALLY pleased at how this picture turned out of my Faux Finish filly as a 2 year old. I was handling her and I gave my camera to a nice lady on the sidelines, showed her how to turn it on (!) and asked her to please do the best job she possibly could! This is one of my favorite pictures of this filly - I feel the placement of all 4 legs, her head and neck, the tilt of her head, her expression coming through the bridle, is about as perfect as one would hope for ... About the only thing I'd want to change is the right hind - it is too far forward to be 100% ideal, IMO ...

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...ndon-Jul06.jpg

This is another picture I took at Upperville this year. My filly was second in the weanling class.

Name:	ScandalousStandRightUpperville07.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	19631  
    Member of the "I Ride A Chestnut Thoroughbred Mare, So You Don't Scare Me Clique"

Locke Meadows - lovely grey mare! What is her breeding?

I would want to see her right fore further forward, her right hind further back and her left hind further forward as well to produce a more balanced picture of her. Her head and neck placement is terrific and where you took the picture of her is bang on - mid barrel section ...

My 2 cents worth ...

and funny - on that gorgeous filly - exact same thing!

RF - further ahead
    RH - further back
    LH - further ahead

What a classy classy filly!

The first picture of is one of my babies. She set herself up for the picture. I only wish she had her head turned towards me, but otherwise, I think the picture is great.

The second picture is of a yearling Paint that I donated to our local fire department. The picture was taken in front of the Engine. I think the background turned out a little busy, but it made for an eye-catching picture.

The third picture is of a yearling at the VPBA Futurity at Upperville. I would like to see her neck streched down a little more and her hind legs off-set just a bit.

The last picture is of a two year old at the Warrenton Pony Show. The filly pinned third with me showing (not a professional handler!). In the picture, she is standing down hill do to the ground, but it made the picture look odd. In hind-site, I would have found a better spot, but I just wanted to get a picture and go home!

Name:	DedeStandLeft.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	19632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IBCNUEngine13.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	19633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnickersStandLeftUpperville.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	19634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaceySLWarrentonRibbon.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	19635  

Thank you very much for your comments, JB & Hocus. I really appreciate them, and will definitely keep them for future reference come picture taking time. Something about two-feet of snow doesn't sound like a good conformation shot plan.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Locke Meadows - lovely grey mare! What is her breeding?
    She is an Oldenburg mare by The Silver Card (GOV) out of a black-type TB mare.

Quote Originally Posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
    OH, THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!! This was PRECISELY the information I needed. I already know about what kind of days are best, lighting etc -- but THIS was the kind of info I really have been needing.

And I think you just explained the reason I've NEVER been able to get a good head shot! I can't wait to try! Now if it would just STOP RAINING!!!! UGH!!!
    Ditto to this!! I can usually get them standing ok, and will work on the lighting now that I know more, but the zoom lens info is SUPER! Who knew? Now I do.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a somewhat reasonably priced good quality digital camera for this sort of thing (good for action shots and confo shots)? I have an old Canon T-90 with a big zoom I will try, but now I am spoiled with digital cameras and like to have the option of seeing if I've got "the one" rather than take a roll of photos to be developed only to find out I didn't get the shot I wanted. Any help would be super. Don't want to break the bank, but I am getting tired of crappy photos from my tiny digital camera.

Thanks everyone for a great informative thread!
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

I will bite, here are a few to critique....

Name:	HotShotChampMP07.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	19639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beste4MeCh2007MdSt.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	19640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DiamonetteYrlg.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	19641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fiera.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	19643  
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Smile great information

What a cool thread. I love to take pictures and I am so excited to try some of the pointers mentioned here. Thanks Everyone.

Here is my mare. she is in broodmare condition but think it gives a good idea of her conformation.
    Hind sight I would liked to have a lighter back ground .

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...60/t_=98790260
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    This is a picture I took at Upperville this past year, right before my mare won the class. Please feel free to pick it apart; I'm not the greatest at taking pictures.
    OK... I will bite. Generally I think you have a very good handler who knows how to show the mare well. She looks sweet and has a very good expression. As a conformation photo.... the light isn't doing much for the body of the mare. Making weird shadows on her side creating shapes that tell other stories. Stance is set up exactly opposite. If this were in a class and I had no option to ask for a change, I would say this is attractive and given the limitations of the inability to ask for anything different, I would be content. If you are outside and can do what you wish, I think lighting would be the first major change and the direct opposite in stance. That would already be a big step.

However, all criticisms aside. I see that your mare is a nice mare. That says something.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    Here are a couple of mine ...

Chai Latte - I was REALLY pleased how this photo turned out, in a natural state, with no one holding or posing her at all. She would have been 4 or 5 days old in this photo. I was also very pleased that I was able to get the perfect placement on the photo - mid barrel - as well, without her moving away:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...stand-side.jpg

I really like the pose on this youngster - Annie - shown at about 3 months of age. I was really pleased at her leg placement, angle of her head and neck and her overall expression as well. The only thing I would have liked to change was perhaps having her hind legs a smidge further back than they were:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...nnie-Jul06.jpg

I am REALLY pleased at how this picture turned out of my Faux Finish filly as a 2 year old. I was handling her and I gave my camera to a nice lady on the sidelines, showed her how to turn it on (!) and asked her to please do the best job she possibly could! This is one of my favorite pictures of this filly - I feel the placement of all 4 legs, her head and neck, the tilt of her head, her expression coming through the bridle, is about as perfect as one would hope for ... About the only thing I'd want to change is the right hind - it is too far forward to be 100% ideal, IMO ...

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...ndon-Jul06.jpg
    All three images are good shots. First baby is very sweet, spider legs and all. Lacking a bit as a conformation photo but I know babies can be quite tricky. Second one is lovely, rough coat is bothering me but again as a casual baby photo it is quite nice. Last image the third is my favorite. Love the light, love expression. Wish the back legs were as together as the front and you pointed out off hind should be back a little. I also think near hind should be ahead a bit to make a perfect vertical line from hock to ankle. Othewise nice shots.