The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baby's first show

Hello! My 2 year old filly is going to her very first show in less than 2 weeks! Which I am totally excited about but I am also starting to think -EEK - IT'S 2 WEEKS AWAY!!! LOL!

Anyway, I am just being a worry wart at this current moment and started to think thoughts about what if my filly gets to her first show and just has a complete meltdown? She really is a pretty good girl and generally speaking very brave but thinking about how she is going to react is getting me a little nervous. I have already arranged it so I don't have to touch her once she gets to the grounds (well, minimally) at her first show b/c my baby doesn't need a nervous Mom around her for her big debut!

Does anyone have any good thoughts or tips to make the big day go smoother? This is my first baby, so if anyone wants to chime in with happy thoughts or tips if my baby does have a 'moment' I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Anna
    Last edited by RheinlandPfalzSaar; Mar. 14, 2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: to add

How has your baby reacted in new places before?

That is normally a pretty good indicater of how she will react to being on the show grounds.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Well, she hasn't really been out a lot. When I shipped her in to VA she was 7 months and just walked off the trailer, no big deal at all. The only other time she has been out was when I switched barns and moved her to where she is now and she again, just walked right off the trailer, no big deal. So she has a good track record but just not much of one and hasn't really been off the property since August 2007! I was going to take her to a schooling show to walk her around but that never happened sadly.

How is she about her mane?

I know that handling youngsters at their first show (many times their first braid job) can be very iffy. If she is fine with you putting in training braids at home, that would make the braider's job at the show, much, much easier, and reduce an area that could stress your baby out at the show.

Maybe touch up her ground manners at home, to make sure that she will be easy to handle. Have you got your bridle all set up, and gotten her used to it? Lead her around in the bridle so that she gets used to it. Sounds like she will be fairly laid-back about the new place.

She is a very cute mare.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlee View Post
    How is she about her mane?

I know that handling youngsters at their first show (many times their first braid job) can be very iffy. If she is fine with you putting in training braids at home, that would make the braider's job at the show, much, much easier, and reduce an area that could stress your baby out at the show.

Maybe touch up her ground manners at home, to make sure that she will be easy to handle. Have you got your bridle all set up, and gotten her used to it? Lead her around in the bridle so that she gets used to it. Sounds like she will be fairly laid-back about the new place.

She is a very cute mare.
    Thanks for the advice & the compliment!

She is really good about her mane, I can go into her stall and just pull it w/out any kind of halter on... I am really lucky with that aspect of her personality.

My biggest problem with her is just her patience level, maybe it;s the Spring weather we have been getting but she would just much rather be out and about than standing in the cross ties recently (although I can't blame her). She's been good just wiggly, that's been my biggest difficulty with her is just trying to get her to stay still! Some days are better than other days. She is also a little on the mouthy side (well she's just flat out mouthy actually) - not a biter but she just has a very clever mouth that she uses like a monkey uses their tail! I think part of the mouthiness is her just being a baby but I also think part of it is just her!

Unless you want to spend your life replacing good bridles, fix the mouthiness now. It doesn't have to be "part of her". It is manners, nothing more or less. And you will not hurt her by disciplining her for it. They don't HAVE to chew on the cross ties, your clothes, the lead shank, or anything else, during the brief time they are handled each day.

We work on this constantly and have no biters or tack eaters. They have to be reminded from time to time, but we are completely consistent with it, so it comes as no surprise to them when they have to have these reminders.

No matter how much you try to prepare her for going to a show, the atmosphere is just different and she will just have to experience it and get through it to learn it isn't a big deal. And she will probably be a handful the first time, but most are, so just be prepared, stay as calm as possible so you don't add your nerves to her's. You won't be alone, as it will be the first show for MANY yearlings! You'll be in good company!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Thanks Laurie. I appreciate your words of advice. Do you have suggestions on what the best form of discipline for mouthiness would be? I haven't quite figured that out yet, I generally either ignore it or just say no, which works for a few seconds... I guess I never thought about all the negatives. I just get all woo woo when she looks at me with those brown eyes, which I have been better about not falling for.

I will make sure that Karen introduces me to you at the show! You definitely have a lot of nice horses showing this year!

Anna

Sent you a PM!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Thanks Laurie!!!! I just sent you one back! :-)

Rheinland- Laurie is great!! My 2 year old colt was MOUTHY as MOUTHY comes!! He's coming 3 now and is 1000 times better. Before I sent my guy to Junior's and Laurie's I was at my witts end. I had no idea what to do. (and he was a 16 hand 19 month old) I could not even lead him down the barn aisle without him pulling every single blanket off the blanket rack, or eating the lead rope, or for that matter, eating at me! From what I have learned over the year is you have to be consistant with it and not let them get away with anything. Mine could not stand still in the cross ties, and now I can leave him and walk out for 10-15 minutes and he doesn't move. His 2 year old year was definately the turning point for him. If he didn't have the consistant training he would have been a monster. A 16.3 3 year old monster would have been a nightmare!

See you in Maryland in 2 weeks!!
    Last edited by Hunter_Rider; Mar. 16, 2008 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks HR! So there is hope for the baby mouthies! LOL!

That is so true what you said about consistency, I know I have lacked there with the mouthy thing. I need to be better about that.

I am looking forward to meeting you & your yearling in 10 days - can you believe it!? I feel like this past month has flown by!

I can't believe I have almost owned my yearling a year now!! It feels like just yesterday he was being weaned. I am so happy the show season is underway and I look forward to meeting you too!