The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DressageDaily article re rule change proposal

I suggested to Mary Phelps that she put something up on her website and she said several people had emailed her about this issue.

My contribution to the cause of getting the word out:

http://dressagedaily.com/2008/dd_200...0109-usef.html

California Dressage Society (5000 members) and Potomac Valley Dressage Association (over 1000 members) both wrote letters expressing concern about and opposition to the proposed rule change, and those are at the USEF convention in Louisville right now with representatives who will distribute them.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Interesting. We're supposed to support a qualification system that doesn't exist yet. Sorry, but I don't support anything that I can't read first. Who do we e-mail to express our displeasure?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

ESG, you're arriving very late to this party. This has been widely discussed and debated on this and UDBB for the past month.

Check out some of the other threads on this BB re this issue. The USEF Board of Directors will vote on the rule change proposal this week--they are meeting right now in Louisville.

Other threads here have lists of USEF BoD and Dressage Committee emails, but they are all at the convention and may not be checking their email. I would still send email if you have comments for them.

You can try getting ahold of the hotel where the convention is (it's on the USEF website under 2008 convention, it's in Louisville but I can't remember off the top of my head the name of it) and see how you could fax a letter. You can call USEF or USDF and find out how to get a message or letter to people there.

You can also try emailing acook@usef.org That is Abigail Cook, the person at USEF in charge of collecting comments and distributing them to the Dressage Committee. Put in the subject line of the email that it's important and about 275-07. Maybe she'll print it and give it to them.

You can also try emailing a letter to davenport@saber.net with the same subject line in the email. That's Connie Davenport, who is along with a CDS contingent at the convention to address this issue. She might be able to print your email or letter and distribute it for you.

Rebecca,

Thank you for updating and organizing all the information, and showing the way to make our opinions heard.

Good article.
    Last edited by claire; Jan. 9, 2008 at 12:06 PM.

Thank you, Rebecca!

I am somewhat chagrined at the "Mom-knows-best' attitude of the USEF DC.

We ALL love our sport and we ALL want to see the sport grow in positive ways.

It does make me wonder a bit that no one on the DC seems to recognize that there can be any viewpoint but the version they have chosen.

In any case, I hope people continue to write to the BoD, whatever viewpoint you wish to uphold.

Sure, this proposal has received more public interest than just about all the other rule change proposals combined. This proposal is about the future of the sport, the road we all will take.
    It never occurred to me that the decision as to which road we all take would ever be in the hands of a few, unchosen-by-the-membership committee members.

Please -- in NO WAY am I denigrating the hard work and time and energy that the committee has put into their work. Certainly, they love the sport as much or more as do we all .
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

My apologies, rebecca. I didn't realize there were prerequisites to posting on this thread. As it happens, I've been aware of the proposed rule change for quite some time. Since you posted so prominently, I was under the impression that this was something new and enlightening. Sorry to have wasted bandwidth, asking stupid questions.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I feel like I have been under a rock, why didn't my GMO know something of this(NCDCTA). I showed all year, went to an Arthur Kottas clinic in July in Charlottesville, VA, I would have thought that I would have heard a comment or two.

Why wouldn't this go thru the USDF since they have access to all of the membership the rule would pertain to?

If they decide at the USEF convention to go thru with this, if we get 30% of members or 20% of GMO's to go against this, then we can have the rule reversed. I'm going by the way the rule states on the USEF website.

I am fairly certain of my facts if not, just want all to know, I am not above being corrected.
    Racheal

Quote Originally Posted by piaffegirl View Post
    I feel like I have been under a rock, why didn't my GMO know something of this(NCDCTA). I showed all year, went to an Arthur Kottas clinic in July in Charlottesville, VA, I would have thought that I would have heard a comment or two.

Why wouldn't this go thru the USDF since they have access to all of the membership the rule would pertain to?

If they decide at the USEF convention to go thru with this, if we get 30% of members or 20% of GMO's to go against this, then we can have the rule reversed. I'm going by the way the rule states on the USEF website.

I am fairly certain of my facts if not, just want all to know, I am not above being corrected.
    Hi, Piaffegirl. I got your phone message, by the way, and keep meaning to call you back, but I thought I would just respond here. I have attended the last 3 USDF conventions and VAGUELY recall mention of a potential future qualifying system. I never gave it another thought until I heard it presented by the Dressage Committee at this last convention. As soon as I got back from Florida, I alerted all of the Region 1 GMO presidents (since I am a Region 1 Delegate and a GMO Council representative) as well as published the proposal in our NCDCTA newsletter. I think they have heard the outcry and have shown that they are "listening".

I can't wait to see what they decide.

Jennifer Mitchell
    President, NCDCTA
    Last edited by JennNC; Jan. 10, 2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: punctuation

Default Dressage Daily link

Thanks for posting that. I have been asked who exactly votes on this, as I knew that the USEF meeting was not a BOG like USDF. Now I know.

Quote Originally Posted by piaffegirl View Post
    I feel like I have been under a rock
    Me too, I discover from COTH forum that my own GMO, that I've been a member for years and avid volunteer sent a letter of opposition to the USEF... Nothing on the CDS website: http://www.california-dressage.org/?... Does USEF "covert" proposal requires a "covert" letter of opposition?..

Any CDS members saw the CDS opposition letter?

Now, that said, look at the CDS Championships AA qualifying scores:
    5 scores from 4 judges of 62% or better
    Those are not easier than what USEF proposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    Me too, I discover from COTH forum that my own GMO, that I've been a member for years and avid volunteer sent a letter of opposition to the USEF... CDS did NOT inform its members of this letter... Nothing on the CDS website: http://www.california-dressage.org/?... Does USEF "covert" proposal requires a "covert" letter of opposition?..

CDS sent out an email about the proposed rule change to members. I can't remember the exact details.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    CDS sent out an email about the proposed rule change to members. I can't remember the exact details.
    Yes, I actually posted that email on COTH. CDS sent out the USEF proposal in an email, but CDS didn't state their support or opposition in that email or state that CDS will sent a letter of opposition to the USEF. How does CDS executive board know how the majority of the CDS members feel about the USEF proposal?

I'm still very interested in: "Does USEF "covert" proposal requires a "covert" CDS letter of opposition?.."

Thumbs up PVDA's Letter to the USEF BoD

This is on the PVDA's website. Well Done!

http://www.pvda.org/Documents/Letter...e%20Change.pdf

Marne:

Great letter, by far, the best, most logical, well founded letter yet!

Laura

Default pvda letter to DOC

Quote Originally Posted by claire View Post
    This is on the PVDA's website. Well Done!

http://www.pvda.org/Documents/Letter...e%20Change.pdf
    EXCELLENT! well stated.
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

Default TOTAL AGREEMENT

Quote Originally Posted by ltw View Post
    Marne:

Great letter, by far, the best, most logical, well founded letter yet!

Laura
    DITTO.........
    Lori
    Fly Teddy Fly!
    Connemara's Rock!
    RIP Reilly Go Bragh

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    Me too, I discover from COTH forum that my own GMO, that I've been a member for years and avid volunteer sent a letter of opposition to the USEF... Nothing on the CDS website: http://www.california-dressage.org/?... Does USEF "covert" proposal requires a "covert" letter of opposition?..

CDS was very vocal to its members in stating its position and asking the membership to speak out if they too opposed the rule change. I remember getting an email sent and forwarded by several people, chapter chairs etc, that was rallying for members to make their voices heard.

I'm Foothills Chapter and it was widely discussed at our Dec. meeting/x-mas party with out chapter reps. sharing details of the conversations with Connie and others re; the proposal and its affect on USDF and CDS.

As for the CDS AA qualifying standards in relation to the USEF proposal, its interesting to note that CDS has felt the need to create a second standard to qualify for a separate smaller regional championship within the state. They have obviously felt (and I agree based on my area and clientele) that there is a large untapped market of AA riders who find meeting the 5 scores from 4 judges (meaning lots of shows) @ 62% or better too much of a challenge given their finances, time, and resources. That same demographic will be the most affected by the proposed qualifying standards through USEF.