The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite Gloves

Looking for suggestions on gloves. I currently have a pair of Roeckls but they just don't last long. I have moved out of the hunter arena and into the jumpers and I would like something with more longevity and also a glove that provides a better grip. If my hands sweat or horse has a sweaty neck while wearing the Roeckls, they become very slippery on the reins.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions!

I swear by SSGs. I had a regular pair that I wore into the ground after several years. I have their winter gloves which were a lifesaver last winter. And I just got their "technical gloves" on sale from Dover recently. They're different from the regular gloves but they're working really nicely and hold up very well. I have a pair of Roeckls that are my just show gloves.
    When I bestride him, I soar, I am a hawk: he trots the air; the earth sings when he touches it; the basest horn of his hoof is more musical than the pipe of Hermes.
    -William Shakespeare (Henry V)

I bought a pair of custom I-Quip gloves (through US Rep Tarypen Equestrian) this spring. They are pricey but super rugged (mine show NO wear yet) and grippy, especially when wet. They're still soft though, and not super thick, so the feel is excellent. I'm an eventer therefore I got mine in my XC colors (that's what we do) but you can order whatever colors you want. I've been really happy with them so far, they're certainly the nicest gloves I've ever had. Their main selling point is how long-lasting they are, and I'm inclined to believe it from what I've experienced so far. Typically I get a year to a year and a half out of Roeckl's, and maybe 6 months out of everything else I've tried.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE9cVU9Bvzb/?tagged=iquip

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-...27367153_o.jpg

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...d6&oe=5872949C

A bit pricier but they are sooo comfy and last forever!!!

https://exceptionalequestrian.com/co...c-riding-glove

If you live in the DFW area of Texas you can get them straight for the Kingsland distributor, DeeDee. She is amazing and has a WHOLE warehouse full of King apparel that she is happy to sell! She sells the gloves for $50 I think. PM me for DeeDee's info if anyone is interested- she sets up private appointments to come to the warehouse.

I like SSG's Hybrid gloves and their Lycrochet crochet-backed gloves. They're the only ones that really fit me, well, like a glove.

All others (including and especially Heritage) seem unusually and awkwardly long in the pinky, leaving weird bulk that tends to exacerbate my habit of not fully closing my fingers on the reins.

Quote Originally Posted by HorseLuvr View Post
    Looking for suggestions on gloves. I currently have a pair of Roeckls but they just don't last long. I have moved out of the hunter arena and into the jumpers and I would like something with more longevity and also a glove that provides a better grip. If my hands sweat or horse has a sweaty neck while wearing the Roeckls, they become very slippery on the reins.

Looking forward to hearing suggestions!
    i think they all get slick with sweat. I ride in SSG's that are silk lined for when it's cool out. I LOVE THEM.

Love my Samshields

I love SSG Digital gloves! They are grippy even when covered in horse sweat!

I love my SSG as well. They fit great and perform great.

I use SSGs for everyday stuff, and I have a few pairs of Roeckls for showing. I go through about a pair a year of SSGs if I'm lucky, but I am considerably nicer to my show gloves (and I have more than one pair because I keep losing them and then finding them after I've bought more ), so they last a bit longer.

One thing- the old school heavy rubber reins tended to be harder on my gloves when I used those, but now I only have the super flexible grip-soft type reins and they don't rip up my gloves nearly as much.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

1 members found this post helpful.

I use the SSG fabric gloves. I think they are called all-season. They don't have the dots on the fingers - I hate those - but they are the next cheapest SSG sells, I think.

I live in a really hot area and sweat a lot (older adult re-rider) and my gloves, like the rest of me, end up soaking wet by the end of my ride. No matter how wet they are, they still don't slip. I have two pairs so I can alternate while one is in the washer (they stink after one ride, so I throw them in the wash after riding). I don't put them in dryer. I haven't noticed any real wear yet.

My barn friends say from a distance you can't tell they aren't nice gloves, so I'm wearing them to a schooling show Saturday, since it's forecast to be 95 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by jhg140 View Post
    Love my Samshields
    Same here. The samshield v-skins are the best gloves I've ever owned -- they are incredibly flexible, comfortable, durable and thin / breathable enough that you don't feel like you are even wearing gloves They also fit my long fingers better than the SSGs.

My only complaint is the style -- I'm not a huge fan of the mixed media look.

HANDS DOWN the freaking best gloves EVAH!!!

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/he...utm_term=19808

I have purchased so many different gloves and within months they are ready for the trash can because they get holes. I have purchased SSG's, Roeckls etc. and the Heritage Proflow summer gloves are so awesome!!!

I have had the same pair for a year....

They are not very expensive - worth a try!
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    HANDS DOWN the freaking best gloves EVAH!!!

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/he...utm_term=19808

I have purchased so many different gloves and within months they are ready for the trash can because they get holes. I have purchased SSG's, Roeckls etc. and the Heritage Proflow summer gloves are so awesome!!!

I have had the same pair for a year....

They are not very expensive - worth a try!
    I have a pair of these, too, and love them. I wear them for summer showing only, though--not for every day.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

YMMV, but my Samshields tore on their 3rd wearing. I was saving them for special occasions so they had absolutely not been abused.

I adore Roeckls, but agree that they don't last.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I love my SSG Lycrochet gloves. I get the ones with the velcro closure. I wear them in all but the coldest months. I can usually get two years or so out of a pair before they start to die. I have a purple/tan pair for home and a black pair for shows.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    YMMV, but my Samshields tore on their 3rd wearing.
    Oh no Mine have held up wonderfully for over a year of regular riding / washing (and I have not been gentle with them). Too bad that the quality is so variable.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    YMMV, but my Samshields tore on their 3rd wearing. I was saving them for special occasions so they had absolutely not been abused.

I adore Roeckls, but agree that they don't last.
    My first pair developed a small tear along a seam (still usable, just needed to be restitched), but I contacted Samshield customer service, and not only did they replace the gloves, they sent them to Personally Preppy to have them re-embossed with my initials at their cost. Was very happy with my dealings and my new pair has held up wonderfully

I was always an SSG fan until my last pair only lasted 1 mth plus I suffer with arthritis in my ring finger. So at the last Spruce Meadows Masters I decided to "invest" (read, they were even more $$$ than normal ridiculous priced riding gloves) in what seemed to me like snake oil and bought a pair of the Heritage ion technology gloves. OMG love them, and I don't know if it's just the gloves are a tad thicker so are just supporting my fingers better but I've not had to rub zoltaren on them!!!
    We will see if they hold hold up any better than my beloved SSGs!

edited to say, the ion gloves I just bought are actually horseware not heritage! Obvs I'm blind LOL
    Last edited by eclipse; Sep. 23, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MsRidiculous View Post
    I bought a pair of custom I-Quip gloves (through US Rep Tarypen Equestrian) this spring. They are pricey but super rugged (mine show NO wear yet) and grippy, especially when wet. They're still soft though, and not super thick, so the feel is excellent. I'm an eventer therefore I got mine in my XC colors (that's what we do) but you can order whatever colors you want. I've been really happy with them so far, they're certainly the nicest gloves I've ever had. Their main selling point is how long-lasting they are, and I'm inclined to believe it from what I've experienced so far. Typically I get a year to a year and a half out of Roeckl's, and maybe 6 months out of everything else I've tried.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE9cVU9Bvzb/?tagged=iquip

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-...27367153_o.jpg

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0...d6&oe=5872949C
    I'm trying to get a pair from this seller now.
    "Punch him in the wiener. Then leave." AffirmedHope