The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Is there such a thing as an "accident-prone" horse?

If yes, I have him.

Coming right on the heels of my horse (literally) slitting his throat in November, I got a call yesterday morning that I needed to go see him.

Idiot had somehow managed to impale himself with something and now has a TWO INCH DEEP hole in his chest!! The vet said that the chance of it causing any permanent damage is "very slim" but we're looking at a good few weeks off and huge vet bill. I swear sometimes that he does it on purpose-- I've been out of town the past 2 weeks and I'm guessing he just missed me and wanted my attention. He got it.

It's always something with him....
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    It's always something with him....
    I think I've told my trainer this as I cancelled lessons at least 5 times this winter

Although I can't be too upset because once it was due to my sprained ankle (I cancelled multiple lessons, jump judging, and two HT entries)...

Want to start the "Owner of Horse(s) who require(s) BUBBLEWRAP" clique?

Sorry to hear about it but hopefully he'll be OK!
    Last edited by inquisitive; Jan. 8, 2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: i'm to blame too

Card-carrying member. If you put them in a padded stall they will get hock rubs, or if you bubble-wrapped them, they would try to eat it and choke.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Default Don't even get me started on my "special one"

I own the most accident prone horse in history!!! I got him as a 3-year-old as a resell project and in the first week of owning him I had the vet out 3 times to put stitches in because he ran through and flipped over 3 fences ! Why he chose to go towards the fence in a 12 acre field I will never know!

Then 4 months after buying him, he lost his eye -- due to a fungal infection but still another reason to go to the vet and this time he had to spend 2 months at Auburn University vet school trying to fight the fungus.

A couple of years later when he was finally jumping well and showing he came in from the field with a torn tendon sheath which ended his career; I was just happy he came back to be sound, I thought I was going to have to put him down.

A few months after that he ran through another fence and got a puncture wound to his hock, which somehow didn't end up getting infected.

Most recently, he came in with a swollen face and it appears he slammed his cheek bone into something (on his blind side) but I decided against calling the vet because I really just didn't think they could do much.

All of this and I forgot to mention he is constantly beat up by other horses, he used to even get beat up by his 12 hand pony pasture mate. I thought about turning him out alone but he just loves other horses so much, I think he would rather have bully friends than no friends at all. I got to where I packed for horse shows a thing of that stuff that is like spray paint to cover up skinned up places because I could guarantee if we left for the show with no cuts or scrapes then he would sure as hell find a way to skin himself up on the way to the show.

Poor little guy but I love him, he is like my "special one." So much for having a resell project...he is now 12 and I think he has turned out to be the most expensive horse in my barn....and I swear he will be the horse that lives to be 50 and I will be paying his vet bills all the way!
    **There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humour and the other is patience**

www.horseshelpingpeople.org

Default We have 3 of those, can they join?

Ok so we have a gelding who is now 18 (lord only knows how he's made it this far) that stuff started happening at 2. He was chased into a water trough as a 2 year old. Then stepped on a nail and was almost put down at 4, then he had the odd almost broken leg, getting chased through a cattle guard, flipping in the trailer, falling down a cliff, and name any other odd thing and its happened. I can count 5 times that the vet was called to come put him down and he pulled through. Just wierd *ss stuff happens to him.

Then we have a 4 year old that somehow just about decapitated himself on the guide wire of a telephone power pole in turn out when he jumped the fence. Took 3 hours to find him (we had to search over 1000 acres)

Then there is our OTTB that just had the last 8 months off. Started as a pulled shoe, then an abcess, then she went bonkers in her stall and banged her tendon, then she had a bruised hoof on the other side, then she banged her splint bone, then she hit her head. I mean come on 8 months off and it started as a pulled shoe? Talk about accident prone!

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    Card-carrying member. If you put them in a padded stall they will get hock rubs, or if you bubble-wrapped them, they would try to eat it and choke.
    You're right! Bubblewrap may not be the answer... isn't there anything we can do?!

Ha this is great! I want to join the clique! My young OTTB always is finding a way to do some harm to himself(although not as horrible as some of the previous posters!) and better yet if he isn't hurting himself he likes to do harm to others. He has taught the others just how to injure themselves to stay out of work. In 2007 out of my three horses it was a rare occasion if all were healthy and sound at the same time! Hopefully turning over a new leaf in 2008!!!... I wish I could just put them in bubbles and turn them out! They could just float around bouncing into things ha keep dreaming!
    "Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~

Chest wounds heal really well, if that's any consolation We had a mare a couple of years ago that got double barrelled out in the field--two big, nasty, wounds that swelled up like boobs. But they healed clean with minimal treatment--no stitches or anything. She doesn't have any scars even.

YES! - and I own her. Bought her in May, brought her home. 2 weeks later (actually, not even 2 weeks) gets a puncture on her leg - no big deal, but SMZ's etc. for a while. Goes well for a bit. 2 weeks later - take her to my cousin's to ride (I don't have a ring and she lives 5 min. away) - mare is EXCELLENT. We're FINALLY getting somewhere - put her on the trailer, take her the 5 min home, take her off the trailer and she is 3 legged - will NOT put weight on L hind. UH OH. Call vet, make her comfortable, he's coming out first thing in the AM. Can't find anything - draw fluid off the hock and she has a staff infection in her left hock... NO INJURY to the leg. And the puncture she'd previously gotten was on the R hind, not L. Gets Penecillin, Gentozen, etc. for a while. Infection goes away - horse still lame and hock is getting BIGGER? Vet comes out to draw more fluid off and PISSS - blood comes squirting out. She has a hematoma. 6 months off. It's now January and she is JUST coming back into work. Hopefully this time it will last!

"Eventer's do it 3 ways in 3 days"

My mare is in the club and has the scars to prove it. She is covered in old scars! People actually comment on it. "So whats this one from? ...and this one? ...and this one?" She has impaled herself twice in the chest, gouged a big hole out of her neck, ripped her lip so she now has a hare lip, ripped off the heel of her hind hoof (Had to be off for a year to grow her hoof back)

Those are just the big visable scars. She gets into fights, abcesses, gets puncture wounds, gets her legs caught in ???, on a regular basis. Last week I showed up to ride her 15 mins after the BM turned her out. She was still standing at the gate, and yet had somehow done something in the last 15 mins to tear up the inside of her hind legs and was making a pool of blood just by standing there. I have never owned any horse like her. She is the best horse I've ever had though, so I guess it is a trade off.

Aren't they all equipped with a self destruct button at birth?

I think someone here once said, "Every horse is born destined with a specific place to die and they spend their entire life looking for it."

Reed

Mine must have that gene, too. Anyone find a cure???

Best example? He had his leg stitched up for a laceration by the vet. I put him in his stall to hold another horse, and by the time I went back to check on him, he'd gotten a huge bloody gash over his eye. At least we only paid for one barn call...
    "This thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down" - Mary Pickford

Quote Originally Posted by MTshowjumper View Post
    She is the best horse I've ever had though, so I guess it is a trade off.
    Ditto.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Avra View Post
    Chest wounds heal really well, if that's any consolation
    Yes, it does, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post

Want to start the "Owner of Horse(s) who require(s) BUBBLEWRAP" clique?
    I'm in, although he might eat it.

Or maybe "Owner of Horse(s) with no common sense" clique.

Mine fits both. First he gets kicked in the knee (after multiple warnings from other horses) on three different occasions and it gets blown up and he's lame for a little bit. That knee looks a little funny now, but it's alright (miraculously) because we've taken x-rays of it to make sure. Then he comes in from turnout and I find him with a huge gash/slice in his side that requires lots of stiches. Then he gets kicked in the shoulder and has it sliced open. Then he goes and gets his forehead split/gouged... we still don't really know how he managed it. I'm afraid to say it, but I think he's due for another sometime soon...

He now goes out by himself because he just can't learn the regular warnings from other horses and so doesn't know when to back off. You'd think he would have learned by now........
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

Default Is there such a thing as an accident prone horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    If yes, I have him.
    I don't see how that's possible since he lives at my house. I think it's definitely an OTTB thing.
    "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    I think it's definitely an OTTB thing.
    I agree. I think OTTB don't learn to interact with horses well, not to mention their mentality is to run..run as fast as you can without looking, just run!
    **There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humour and the other is patience**

www.horseshelpingpeople.org

Count me in ...

My horse Ski is something else ...

He jumped out of the round pen, yes the metal ones that are at leat 6' and destroyed his back ankle (joint infection, surgery, bla, blan bla).

Then he rolled, a buckle got undone on his blanket, he freaked out, jumped out of the indoor and flipped on the concrete when he landed and stepped on the blanket that was around his neck.

Then he punctured his left hind coffin bone (yes, an other joint infection and 3 surgeries) stepping on a burried T Post in a 6 acre field

Then he tore his check ligament stepping in a hole.

By then he became a pasture ornament ...

Then he got Potomac horse fever (despite the boosters and being up to date for everything)

He scratched the cornea of his eye and ulcered ...

And the last but not the least, broke his jaw this past summer (surgery, screws, braces ... you name it). He caught his teeth somewhere and just pulled as hard as he could to get free.

So, is it enough to be part of the clique ?

Seriously, it almost looks like I'm making this up ... It's just surreal.

Default Yes there is!

I cant top some of the ones here, but I wonder if I am an accident prone horse buyer!
    First guy (on the profile pic) got mycotoxins, once we moved that resolved, hurt his back, resolved, accidentally pushed me over and nearly broke my leg standing on me (that was a couple months off for me) resolved, smashed his head against something and fractured his face/nasal bones - that was a couple months off for him and a few xrays - resolved, hurt his back - resolved, fell that week being silly in the paddock, hurt his back again - resolved!! SOLD! I had a yound one who that week stabbed his leg, 4 months of bandages - resolved, hurt his back - (WTF?!) - resolved, puts back leg thru the fence, 2 months bandages - Property sold!!! No more hill, no more hurt backs! My better horse was 12 and just died of Cancer (at 12! WTF?!) my young one has just been sacked as he is no good for eventing (nearly ready to give up completely now!!) But have a new one off the track, love her - I really hope she isnt accident prone!!
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe - for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty
    **Newcomer to the I loff my mares clique**