The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Copper Bits are bad? Shocking the horse's mouth?!

So in another thread, someone mentioned that the reason horses salivate so much with copper bits, is because the copper creates an electric current in the horse's mouth, and shocks the horse, irritating its mouth!

Now I have NEVER heard this before. And I can't find ANYTHING on it online. All of my past experiences and my common sense are telling me this is not correct information, but I'd love to get some cold hard facts on it once and for all!

So, anyone hear of this? More importantly, anyone have some documented proof that this is the case?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

That sounds absurd IMO. It's not like your horse's body is coursing with 120v like your house is
    Quote Originally Posted by barka.lounger View Post
    u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
    That sounds absurd IMO. It's not like your horse's body is coursing with 120v like your house is
    Well on my mare's naughty days it sure FEELS like she's a livewire..

I tend to agree with you, though. I don't know where people are getting this information from..

Spontaneous generation of electricity? COOL. We have just solved the global energy crisis with horse spit.
    Click here before you buy.

There's one born every minute!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Spontaneous generation of electricity? COOL. We have just solved the global energy crisis with horse spit.
    Where can I plug my horse in?

Equibrit; I don't know what you mean by that, but I'm assuming it's something nasty and mean-spirited like all your other posts in my threads.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    BWAHAHAHAAAAAA

I always figured those bits just tasted funny. I bet I would drool if I sucked on aluminum foil for a while (no I am not going to go try it )

Quote Originally Posted by Horseless1 View Post
    BWAHAHAHAAAAAA

I always figured those bits just tasted funny. I bet I would drool if I sucked on aluminum foil for a while (no I am not going to go try it )
    Aw come on, you can be our guinea pig! First some copper wire.. then aluminum foil.. then something that is stainless steel...

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I've heard the same thing in reference to bits that have different metals in them where the two metals are separated (like rollers on a bit). Not sure I believe that it could generate enuf current, but this is the theory:

The two metals have different "potentials" for being oxidized and one is oxidized and the other is reduced. The electrons are transferred from one to the other (remember they aren't touching in order for this to work) via a conducting solution, in this case your horse's spit. A tiny electrochemical cell in your horse's mouth! or so the theory goes.

I've been looking and I haven't found anything. And I asked my old coach(this could be where I got it from) and half her tackroom is copper! She has never heard of it, and I won't bother to repeat what she said about it!

Oh well, I think we have just proved once again... to each their own!
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyadawn View Post
    I've been looking and I haven't found anything. And I asked my old coach(this could be where I got it from) and half her tackroom is copper! She has never heard of it, and I won't bother to repeat what she said about it!

Oh well, I think we have just proved once again... to each their own!
    My goodness.

I've sucked on a copper bit before and can testify that it doesn't shock the mouth. However it does taste funny and it will make you drool like heck. *takes bow* Tah Dah!

Quote Originally Posted by zafirah View Post
    I've sucked on a copper bit before and can testify that it doesn't shock the mouth. However it does taste funny and it will make you drool like heck. *takes bow* Tah Dah!
    And the truth is revealed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I HAVE to ask... what prompted you to do this? I'm dieing to know.

Well.. people always say that it makes the horse drool and makes their mouth soft, etc. and I was curious, so I sucked on my pony's copper bit for a little bit. I've also been known to do this in tack shops to test the drool-factor you can't imagine the looks I get when people actually see me!

Quote Originally Posted by zafirah View Post
    Well.. people always say that it makes the horse drool and makes their mouth soft, etc. and I was curious, so I sucked on my pony's copper bit for a little bit. I've also been known to do this in tack shops to test the drool-factor you can't imagine the looks I get when people actually see me!

I agree w/ the "evil chem Prof" Peggy. And also agree that's probably not enough to be felt...

Interesting aside - something to NOT do if you have duallies. A friend of mine had 1 aluminum rim and 1 steel rim on her dually. Over time, there was enough of an electrochemical reaction that "welded" the two together. Both had to be pulled off and separated w/ incredible (mechanical) effort because the rims had indeed "fused".

It is a galvanic cell. A current is set up in the mouth because, a our resident Chem Prof said, there are different electrical potentials. The saliva acts as an electrolyte and the difference in the oxygen/hydrogen concentration at the surface of the bit acts as charge inducers. The electrons flow along the bit, releasing Cu ions into the saliva.

This is called corrosion.

Zafirah, that "taste" is actually the small electrical charge. This is the same way you can light a light bulb in your mouth. The taste comes from the stimulation of the nerves to the taste buds (we can technically only taste 5 things and "metal" is NOT one of them).

So no, there is no electrical shock but there is electrical charge flowing through the bit.

I will be lecturing on this to my Intro to Materials class in March.

Here is a nice simple description form NASA:

http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/corr_metal.htm

Reed

Wow. I never knew that. I never even thought about that. Haha . That's kind of neat though

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    It is a galvanic cell. A current is set up in the mouth because, a our resident Chem Prof said, there are different electrical potentials. The saliva acts as an electrolyte and the difference in the oxygen/hydrogen concentration at the surface of the bit acts as charge inducers. The electrons flow along the bit, releasing Cu ions into the saliva.

This is called corrosion.

Zafirah, that "taste" is actually the small electrical charge. This is the same way you can light a light bulb in your mouth. The taste comes from the stimulation of the nerves to the taste buds (we can technically only taste 5 things and "metal" is NOT one of them).

So no, there is no electrical shock but there is electrical charge flowing through the bit.

I will be lecturing on this to my Intro to Materials class in March.

Here is a nice simple description form NASA:

http://corrosion.ksc.nasa.gov/corr_metal.htm

Reed
    So is the copper like with people, the horse tastes the charge (or however you put it), but isn't actually shocked or put in any discomfort?

Yes.

If you really want to test this, put a penny between your teeth in your mouth and touch your tongue to it. This works best if you have amalgam fillings.

Reed