The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Barefoot horse now sore after rain??

We have a little horse in the barn that has been barefoot since last spring. Horse has done pretty well after a rough start (was VERY sore after first "real" trim, not just after shoes were pulled). ANYWAY, was doing quite well over the summer, even walking over the gravel driveway on the way to the arena/trails with no ouchiness. There has been absolutely no chipping of the feet. This horse is doing well working on the flat WTC with some lateral work and jumping in the arena. However, it has rained a few times over the last month or so and now I'm noticing a shortened stride on the hardpack ground and a definite "ouch!" if said horse happens to step on a small rock. Even now that it's dried up a bit, still noticing this problem and anticipate it will continue since we're headed into the rainy season and I *think* that's what is causing it since nothing else has changed. I'm back to using Keratex (was able to stop completely over the summer) and just try to keep the walking around where horse is uncomfortable to a minimum. I not going to get into using boots, so please don't suggest that. I'm not going to put gravel in the stall, so please don't suggest that. I'm thinking we may need to put front shoes on if this doesn't get better, unless you folks can come up with another idea for me. Has anyone else had this problem before?

You'd rather use "permanent" shoes than use boots for the temporary situations you encounter? There aren't many possibilities, since you've ruled out modifying his environment to help the quality of his feet, ruled out boots, Keratex might/might not work, other than shoes.

Yes, horses who don't get the right stimulation over the right footing on a regular basis can get soft enough soles after rain that harder/rockier footing that doesn't normally bother them, will.

It sounds like you have made up your mind.

I'd use boots first. They're a little tricky to deal with at first (measurements have to be right, and there's a learning curve to putting them on), but they really give the hoof much more protection from concussion than shoes ever could. And, particularly if this is a temporary problem, boots seem like an ideal alternative.

I've used Old Macs: http://www.easycareinc.com/our_boots...d_Macs_G2.aspx
    and the main page on that website links to other types of boots as well.

Good luck.

To answer your question. Yes. I don't use shoes to fix that though... I don't use Keratex or other sole hardeners.

Have you checked to see if he's got a touch of thrush after the wet weather? That could make him a bit ouchy if so.

Yep, I have one of those myself. I do my best to keep him dry. And I use boots when need be.
    keratex, tough stuff, iodine etc did not help one bit.

Just a note, he was sore in shoes, so I am ahead of the game with him, and most of the time he is very happy barefoot.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

If the horse was sore with shoes - did you discover why?

If the horse was doing fine barefoot, and his soles got soft - there may be some bruising. It may or may not be apparent.

I'd say put shoes on since you don't want to use boots, but unless you know why the horse was sore with shoes, I don't see the point.

If it's bruising, you treat the hoof for bruising. If an abscess is developing, you treat for that. If the horse has developed thrush, you treat for that. If the horse is sore because of some medical condition, you discover what it is and treat for that.

Not to ask the obvious, but I assume you've had his feet x-rayed?
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

SHOES

Horse feet harden up on tough ground then soften on wet ground, so his feet may be softer now and sore on rocks. Is his stall good and dry? While the ground in his pasture is wet you might have to stick with softer footing for riding or shoe him.

Yes, wet hooves become more flexible and pressure from small stones and such more obvious. If you can't keep the feet dry, Keratex can help with this.
    Visit my barefoot blog:
    http://barefoothoofcare.wordpress.com/
    "I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast" ~ Beastie Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Have you checked to see if he's got a touch of thrush after the wet weather? That could make him a bit ouchy if so.

No thrush.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Horse feet harden up on tough ground then soften on wet ground, so his feet may be softer now and sore on rocks. Is his stall good and dry? While the ground in his pasture is wet you might have to stick with softer footing for riding or shoe him.

The "in" portion of the stall is dry, but the "out" portion is wet and there is no way to lock him in and I'm not willing to put him in a box stall. He can go in softer footing when the arena is dry but when it's wet out we have to walk them on the harder surfaces hence my problem. I thought I'd see if 1.) it was normal, which it seems like it is 2.) If someone had thought of something else that I had not Sounds like I'll be sticking to softer footing for now and next cycle will mean front shoes.

Was the horse sore in shoes? I didn't get that out of the first post, but someone mentioned it later in the thread, so maybe I missed something. Was the horse always barefoot or did she have shoes before? What prompted you to switch?

Try Keratex, and if that helps, try using Keratex Gel to help maintain it and keep the feet dry. You could also try Durasole, many people swear by that too.

If it were my horse, I'd try boots, since it seems to be a temporary condition. Boots could make the horse comfortable until the footing gets better, since it sounds like you were really happy with the horse being barefoot otherwise. Shoes are certainly an option too, and maybe the best one for you if you don't like boots and can't deal (or your horse can't) with the changing footing. They are often easier from an owner's perspective (call farrier every 6 weeks, pay bill... no buying and fitting boots, no adjustments and cleaning of muddy boots ) and if you're happy with how your horse goes in them it may be a good solution.

Just realize that a wet/dry cycle with shoes often leads to its own set of problems.

Dune, before you do the shoes, just try doing the Borax thing. Pour a couple of tablespoons in a water bottle, fill up with hot water and shake it up. Every day, clean the feet, brush them out really well and then pour it over the frogs. See if your horsie feels better.

I swear, I am continually amazed at this. When it rains, I just do it now and no more sore-in-the-wet horses. Fungus must be one insidious MoFo.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Just realize that a wet/dry cycle with shoes often leads to its own set of problems.
    Good Point I would consider continuing Keratex and then maybe Keratex Gel even if you do decide to shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren! View Post
    Was the horse sore in shoes? I didn't get that out of the first post, but someone mentioned it later in the thread, so maybe I missed something. Was the horse always barefoot or did she have shoes before? What prompted you to switch?

Try Keratex, and if that helps, try using Keratex Gel to help maintain it and keep the feet dry. You could also try Durasole, many people swear by that too.

If it were my horse, I'd try boots, since it seems to be a temporary condition. Boots could make the horse comfortable until the footing gets better, since it sounds like you were really happy with the horse being barefoot otherwise. Shoes are certainly an option too, and maybe the best one for you if you don't like boots and can't deal (or your horse can't) with the changing footing. They are often easier from an owner's perspective (call farrier every 6 weeks, pay bill... no buying and fitting boots, no adjustments and cleaning of muddy boots ) and if you're happy with how your horse goes in them it may be a good solution.
    This particular horse was NEVER sore in shoes, another poster (Sobriska) posted something about her horse being sore in shoes and those not versed in reading comprehension got derailed. This horse was SUPER sound in shoes, even on asphalt and crushed asphalt and will be going back to that if necessary. I pulled shoes earlier this Spring because said horse had a mild stifle pull and was laid up for a while. It's been working well so far, but not lately. Boots are clunky, and in my opinion tacky, do not work well in general. Footing won't "be better" until it dries up again. Temporary?? I dunno, I'd classify this as seasonal. I'd rather go back to 'what works', right?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

Never had a problem before.