The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Riannonjk...your post cracked me up! I pictured your horse jumping that puddle and you saying "oof", just struck me as REALLY funny!
    My horse didn't jump any puddles but let's just say as we trotted down the centerline, he zigged and zagged to avoid every puddle. The judge's comments were "unsteady on centerline" I would have said drunk driver on centerline...so her comments were much nicer!
    I guess my beast didn't want to get his freshly shampooed whites dirty! LOL!

ColoredHorse, my friend said "sh..." during her test and got a -2. I was surprised she didn't get dismissed....can you get dismissed for swearing? Just seems swearing is worse than saying "you're ok or oof"!
    Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him

Only ridden Intro, and only once at a schooling show, and on an elderly TB mare who is NOT a dressage horse, but...

I smiled at the start of my tests, and at the end. I had to work really hard not to snicker during test B, after the good mare decided that my attempt to urge her into a trot with more impulsion meant CANTER!!!! (That's just how she thinks. Trotting bores her, and she's always looking for an excuse to canter. Plus it's easier on her old hock injury.) I brought her back down and I think I was grinning for the rest of the test. I mean, the whole point of doing Intro was that it didn't require cantering, because let us just say that our downward transitions from the canter are not pretty, and she cantered anyway, the goof!

The good mare had not been to a show in 11 years; she's mostly been a pasture pet and trail horse for her former (now deceased) owner. At that first show, she was 2nd in a very tough halter class of TB mares -- she really is gorgeous -- and in training level dressage... well, she had to really, really check out the judge's booth because OMG IT MIGHT EAT HER!

We got second place in Intro A and 6th in Intro B, mostly because we didn't forget our test, and I wasn't overmounted on her, unlike many others. And maybe the judge was tired of judging bratty kids and was just encouraging me, too
    Last edited by quietann; Jan. 10, 2008 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feisomeday View Post
    Why are most riders so grim and miserable looking? Lighten up!
    My husband gets after me for this all the time - says it makes me less tense if I smile.

Oh - and my trainer tells me to BREATHE!
    Sandy in Fla.

Quote Originally Posted by feisomeday View Post
    Why are most riders so grim and miserable looking? Lighten up!
    This is funny, because I find myself either grinning like a fool or... not.

I've come to identify that it's not misery that creates that look... I think it's focused *intensity*.

I'm trying not to take myself so seriously anymore. We're not going to the Olympics, and my life *won't* be changed based on my scores that day... so may as well chill and have some fun out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bold Jax View Post
    I've been writing a monthly newsletter for the barn where I board. I've also scribed over 4,000 tests with about 18 judges (2 "O").
    Jax, I've got a question for you... (and I'm giggling as I type this)

In all your many moments of scribing, do you ever have times where you wonder if you can make your hand write some of the things a judge says?

A friend had a rather...animated... ride where, at one point, we weren't certain if they would finish the test INSIDE the arena. The scribe wrote.. "leaving!" (we all had a good laugh over that) I can see the judge saying "seriously..write that!"

Then... at our GMO's championships this past year, I put in a less than stellar test (57%) and the comments were constructive for the most part, except one that ..."smile is a "10"!" (hey, can I get a coefficient on that one!?!? )

I love a judge with a sense of humor, but how do you decide how much of that humor gets actually written down!?!

Quote Originally Posted by honeydoozy View Post
    I love a judge with a sense of humor, but how do you decide how much of that humor gets actually written down!?!
    You pretty quickly get a sense of it. And if you scribe alot in the same area, you will often get to know several judges and be able to predict how straight (or funny) they want the comments to be.

One of my favorites was a judge at a schooling show. Picture me on a green-ish horse in a shadowy indoor. Little Miss Thang decided she needed to jump the shadows from the windows down one long side. Every. Trip. Down. That. Side. Judge's comment: "Horse wants to event! " (Yes, smiley face included.)

StrawberryFrosted, there is no rule covering swearing by the competitor during a test. Good thing! I wondered if the judge would be taken aback, but when I got back on track and glanced at her, both she and the scribe were grinning. I guess anyone who rides has a few "well, sh**" moments and can sympathize.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFrosted View Post
    How does the judge know it's not a fly or in my case something the horse can't control?
    They really can't know 100%. In any case, head shaking is not helpful for the scores: it doesn't help to show that the horse is submissive and it doesn't help to show that the horse is accepting a bit. "Repeated" head shaking gets lower and lower scores with each movement. If judge thinks it might be a bug - she/he might "close her eyes" on that for 1-2 movements to give a chance to rider to deal with that. But if that persists in the several movements, judge can't really blame it on the bug. If it is a bug - this rider should spray more fly spray to prevent that next time. However, there are exceptions, for example a show that is notoriously known for bugs and horses are covered with bugs, and then it's treated totally different: it is a "special circumstances" and judge can not really take off any points for that.

Excessive profanity can be a reason for eliminating a rider from the ring. That goes under the rider loosing control and might be endangering her horse and herself. But the accidental blurb out “sh***” will get you only -2 for voice.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFrosted View Post
    Riannonjk...your post cracked me up! I pictured your horse jumping that puddle and you saying "oof", just struck me as REALLY funny!
    I must confess, it may have been an "AHHH!" or "EEEK!" that slipped out of my mouth. Either way, it struck me as really funny, considering how often I accidentally DO talk during tests and judges haven't penalized me.

If we are talking about funny comments recieved, somewhere I have my old test that says "Too bad, better luck next time" from when my horse bucked me of just after our canter transition.

I've had judges make funny remarks and then tell me not to write them! Usually because the horse did something funny.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com