The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,821

    Default three more thoughts....

    - know your test well enough to know where one movement begins and ends and ride every stride. Many times riders will completely blow the score by not riding the complete movement.

    - if you do completely bomb a movement, see item above, and move on to the next movement. I've seen riders get a "0" on a movement and win the class because they were able to recover and ride the remainder of the test quite well.

    - pay particular attention to movements with coefficients to boost your score where you can. The coefficient movements are the heart of the test.



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2005
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    FWIW, regarding smiling - I am always smiling while in the showring because I am so amused by how quickly things can fall apart OR shock you by being perfect. Either way, I'm laughing inside, therefore, I am smiling. I will admit that I have laughed out loud when horses were bucking or bolting and no one ever rang the bell. I guess they should have?!!
    Only if you went off course while you were doing it!

    Although, I've seen someone get rung out because her horse was behaving horribly and wouldn't stop...after the third time he reared, the judge said that was enough and sent her out.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2006
    Posts
    3,505

    Default .

    Twinkle

    My horse did that at the last one shook his head off and on the entire test. I did get marked down but did go up in my scores anyway. The comment was nice horse too bad about the rain? I guess she thought it was raining on us out there or something. He hasnt done it since so dont know what that was about.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan. 16, 2003
    Posts
    2,255

    Default

    Oh! another thing! Don't talk to your horse (or trainer, or reader, or the judge) while your riding your test! Some people's nerves manifest themselves as a constant dialogue, and that will mark you down, even if you're whispering



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2005
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Is it a "voice" error if you say "good girl" or "you're ok!" (if she's spooking, etc)? Let's say it only happens once.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan. 31, 2003
    Posts
    18,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twnkltoz View Post
    Is it a "voice" error if you say "good girl" or "you're ok!" (if she's spooking, etc)? Let's say it only happens once.
    Yes.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twnkltoz View Post
    Is it a "voice" error if you say "good girl" or "you're ok!" (if she's spooking, etc)? Let's say it only happens once.
    Yup. Immediate -2.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2007
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twnkltoz View Post
    Is it a "voice" error if you say "good girl" or "you're ok!" (if she's spooking, etc)? Let's say it only happens once.
    In theory, yes, but I've scribed for many judges who never deducted for voice error when settling a spooking horse.



  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2005
    Location
    in the saddle
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    Intentional voice is -2 every time for each movement if judge hears the voice clearly. Judge needs to be positive that it's not a squeaking saddle or rider coughing and such. If there is a double jeopardy - the rider is penalized for being off course while spinning in a circle and calming a spooked horse - judge shouldn't give both: voice error and off course error.

    That said, I scribe as well and do see some judges who ignore some rules. Saw one time a Big Name Trainer started to school her rider in the middle of her test and judge didn't do anything for that - yet it's the reason for elimination.

    Quote Originally Posted by twnkltoz View Post
    Although, I've seen someone get rung out because her horse was behaving horribly and wouldn't stop...after the third time he reared, the judge said that was enough and sent her out.
    "20 consecutive seconds of resistance" - is a rule for elimination. DR 122.L also if horse is endangering a rider, judge can eliminate that rider as well - one big rear can be enough for elimination. Judge should try to keep riders safe in the arena.

    Quote Originally Posted by NOMIOMI1 View Post
    My horse did that at the last one shook his head off and on the entire test. I did get marked down but did go up in my scores anyway. The comment was nice horse too bad about the rain? I guess she thought it was raining on us out there or something. He hasnt done it since so dont know what that was about.
    That is different than resistance for 20 seconds: what you had is your horse didn't show the acceptance of the bit for that test. Your horse was resistant to the bit or your hands or your rein aids or a bug was biting him on his head - thus he was shaking his head as you say for "the entire test". Shaking head for whatever reason is a quite large mistake and lack of the basics, but it is not a cause for elimination.
    Last edited by Dressage Art; Jan. 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM.



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2005
    Location
    in the saddle
    Posts
    4,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eggbutt View Post
    - I've seen riders get a "0" on a movement and win the class because they were able to recover and ride the remainder of the test quite well.
    WOW,... I would love to hear at what circumstances the rider was given a "0". I never saw or even heard about a definite test where rider was given a "0"



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2007
    Posts
    250

    Default

    QUOTE: "At a show last year, my horse got a bug in her ear or something and started shaking her head like crazy. I managed to keep her going and complete the movement and she stopped. We weren't marked down, much to my surprise! At the same show, I went off course for the first time ever and almost went off a second time but fixed it just in time. I basically screwed up the test about as badly as I could. However, I got 7's on my collectives and still got my best score ever!"

    This is interesting that your horse was shaking her head and you didn't get marked down...my horse has headshaking syndrome and shook once or twice in a test and I got marked down for "a fussy head". How does the judge know it's not a fly or in my case something the horse can't control?
    Last edited by StrawberryFrosted; Jan. 8, 2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: forgot to add quotes!
    Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2005
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    I don't think having a bug in their ear is lack of basics. In my case, if I recall correctly, she pinned one ear and turned her head to the side, then shook a couple times (if that makes sense). I was pretty impressed that I kept her going, though! She did stop, I think before the circle was over, and she was good the rest of the test.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2007
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Twink,
    Makes sense about the shaking. My trainer said she was surprised my headshaker got marked down bc it sounds like he did the same thing that your horse did but his movement (of his head) was just a quick little shake side to side.
    Well, maybe the next judge won't mark me down bc she'll think its bugs in the ear!
    Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov. 23, 2005
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    1,462

    Default

    Strawberry, I LOVE your signature!!
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    WOW,... I would love to hear at what circumstances the rider was given a "0". I never saw or even heard about a definite test where rider was given a "0"
    I've seen more 0's given than 10's!! A zero can be given for any movement that is not done....for example, if a horse jigs the entire diagonal instead of free walking, that would/could be a zero..."not shown". Many judges will give a 1 or 2 if the horse is at least headed in the right direction but others will score what they saw, which was not the movement indicated on the test.



  16. #36
    Moonlight Guest

    Default Is judging consistent on different show levels?

    I was always wondering whether judges mark test the same way at schooling shows and at National shows. In other words, is it more difficult to get a good mark from the same judge at a National show? Those of you who scribe, and, therefore, may see the same judge in these very different environments, - what can you say?



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb. 3, 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,821

    Default

    The judges I've scribed for at schooling shows and USEF/USDF shows score the same. They may be a bit more relaxed and informal and speak to the riders at schooling shows but from my experience the scores and remarks are identical regardless.

    I personally believe this perception of different scores depending on the venue comes from riders being more relaxed at a schooling show and riding better, therefore earning a higher score than at the larger recognized shows.



  18. #38
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twnkltoz View Post
    Is it a "voice" error if you say "good girl" or "you're ok!" (if she's spooking, etc)? Let's say it only happens once.
    I've had the voice penalty (at a schooling show, even) for saying "OOF!" when my mare decided to jump a puddle in the middle of my test instead of trotting through it.



  19. #39
    Bold Jax Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eggbutt View Post
    The judges I've scribed for at schooling shows and USEF/USDF shows score the same. They may be a bit more relaxed and informal and speak to the riders at schooling shows but from my experience the scores and remarks are identical regardless.

    I personally believe this perception of different scores depending on the venue comes from riders being more relaxed at a schooling show and riding better, therefore earning a higher score than at the larger recognized shows.
    I 100% agree!!! A judge scores according to the standards. It doesn't matter the show level. The only time I've seen judges be a bit easy, is when it obvious that a child (10 to 12 range) is doing their first show. You can see this pretty easily as they look scaed to death. They're usually riding Intro and the judges don't want to turn them off from showing. We're not talking a big difference, maybe just the higher score if it could go either way. They tend not to get over a 55 even with the benefit of the doubt. I consider this a gentle act of kindness to a child that doesn't affect anyone else.

    Only at one show (2 tests) did I ever witnss hat I think was subconsious favoritism. I won't get into detail here because I don't want to infer who the judge is. I think the rider was given higher scores then deserved resulting in a high point based on what I'll just call an "interest" in the rider. I later explained what happened to the show managemet and that judge was never invited back to those shows. Also, I will never scribe for this judge again.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan. 24, 2000
    Location
    Out of the loop
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
    I've had the voice penalty (at a schooling show, even) for saying "OOF!" when my mare decided to jump a puddle in the middle of my test instead of trotting through it.
    Could be worse. I got a voice penalty once for a blurted "well, sh**!" when I realized I was about to make a mistake of course. (The score for the awkardly corrected movement wasn't great, either. )
    Equinox Equine Massage

    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus



Similar Threads

  1. A scribe's dilemma...
    By Nojacketrequired in forum Dressage
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jul. 18, 2009, 06:19 PM
  2. A Scribe's Plea
    By Puddin Pie in forum Dressage
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May. 29, 2008, 04:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness