The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Most of the time Nora Roberts does things correctly as has been previously mentioned, but when she had one of her characters calmly remark about one of the stallions having a mild case of strangles I kind of lost it! 'Strangles' and 'mild' just don't go together for me, and then there was no further mention of it in the book!

I don't mind the cutesy cartoon movies so much though because that's precisely what they are meant to be!

I watch this stuff for escapism, so it didn't bother me too much when Flicka in the movie was a gelding half the time. And the horse changes in various movies are often pretty blatant.

But I really don't care if a cartoon horse isn't accurate. I mean, it's a cartoon. Real horses don't talk, either. And things don't have to be perfect for me to enjoy them. I choose to suspend disbelief
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    But I really don't care if a cartoon horse isn't accurate. I mean, it's a cartoon. Real horses don't talk, either.

Well Spirit is the spitting image of one of mine.

I recently finished reading "Riders" which I thought was a piece of crap, I don't know why I slogged through all 901 pages of this one and that one bedding each other. I was so hoping ol' Rupert would get his come-uppance (sp?) at the end and Helen would get a clue (what a mindless twit). I have no idea how ol' Rupert could get away with beating the ever loving crap out of his horses and continue showing. Everyone knew what he was doing and no one (as in the horse show association, RSPCA, etc.) did anything about it. I know, it's a book.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Tiempo View Post
    Anyone else love when in Hidalgo, the horse is turned loose with the 'wild' horses at the end with his nice shiny shoes flashing in the sunlight?

Coyote chow anyone?
    ARGH! You beat me too it! I remember being horrified when I saw him run off with his shoes on. I mentioned it on another board and someone was convinced only her farrier husband could have picked it out! Nope! My horses are all barefoot and I still noticed.

Sara Gruen wrote two "horsey" novels (Riding Lessons & Flying Changes) that made me gag in places. It's the story of a woman who was supposedly headed to the Olympics at age 18 aboard a "brindled" hanoverian until her dreams where derailed. Flash forward 20 years and her daughter is invited to train with an olympian and bonds with a blue roan Nokota gelding who refuses to let anyone on his back until she gets on him and magically pulls out shoulder in, haunches in, half pass, passage, pirouette and tempi changes. Apparently when a rider is just that special and bonds instantly with a horse they can magically pull Grand Prix tests out of their behinds

And then at the end, the daughter and the horse attend their first horse trial and go Intermediate. They don't finish, but a lady who is organizing a Grand Prix is impressed when the horse takes an in and out as one fence and offers them a wild card spot in the competition which, naturally, they win.
    “Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.”
    - Meister Eckhart

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Teacher, that little gem was by the ever so accurate Fern Michaels, called Kentucky Sunrise.....I am ashamed to say I actually read the whole thing. By the way, jockey was so "famous" that she never even needed a license! Just hopped on and away we go to the Kentucky Derby. I musta been desperate!
    I think I read a book by her...maybe it was the same one. It was about TB breeding, anyway. I remember one part when one of the main characters was *really* enjoying watching a breeding -- if you know what I mean...I know it was a romance novel, but ugh...I don't think that's a normal reaction!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post

Well Spirit is the spitting image of one of mine.
    Complete with eyebrows and veneers onhis teeth?

In the movie The Electric Horseman starring real life horseman Robert Redford. He says "What they got you hopped upon boy? Bute?" ARGH!!!! For pete's Sake "hopped up on bute"!?!?!? Yeah and I am hopped up on advil - It ruins the movie for me - Hildalgo was so bad - umm an APHA out lasting an arab - oh come on! The shoes, he sand, the exshaution - yet he comes back w/o sweat on him.

But, I LOVE Shanghi Knights when Jackie Chan kisses and clucks to his horse just cracks me up!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

The one western novel where the cowboy starts out riding a stallion, but somewhere along the line, ends up on a gelding with no record of him having changed horses -- OK, that one I'll sort of go along with, 'cuz it could have been that the cowboy got a bit impatient with the studdish qualities of the stallion and decided to fix it right quick.

But the one where the cowboy starts out riding a gelding and by the end of the book, it's become a stallion -- THAT one...there just are no words!!!

Default How about the movie Lightening - Great White Stallion

How about the movie about the white horse that was supposed to be valuable, was stolen, by the drunk barn worker, he (it was the pilot from AIR FORCE 1 MOVIE and landlord in Spiderman) had an accident, a young girl finds and starts riding the horse, goes to qualifying shows for a state championship and goes around about a 2' course, goes to a regional and jumps about a 3' course, goes to another show to qualify for the finals and jumps a 3'6 course, goes to the finals and the jumps a GRAND PRIX in size, and this is one season... Mickey Rooney (sp?)was the owner of the horse in the movie, was a decent well known horse movie actor for such a bad movie
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by AnsleyGrace View Post
    Sara Gruen wrote two "horsey" novels (Riding Lessons & Flying Changes) that made me gag in places. It's the story of a woman who was supposedly headed to the Olympics at age 18 aboard a "brindled" hanoverian until her dreams where derailed. Flash forward 20 years and her daughter is invited to train with an olympian and bonds with a blue roan Nokota gelding who refuses to let anyone on his back until she gets on him and magically pulls out shoulder in, haunches in, half pass, passage, pirouette and tempi changes. Apparently when a rider is just that special and bonds instantly with a horse they can magically pull Grand Prix tests out of their behinds

And then at the end, the daughter and the horse attend their first horse trial and go Intermediate. They don't finish, but a lady who is organizing a Grand Prix is impressed when the horse takes an in and out as one fence and offers them a wild card spot in the competition which, naturally, they win.

Oh man did this book bother me... the WORST part is that my horsey friend actually recommended it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by AnsleyGrace View Post
    It's the story of a woman who was supposedly headed to the Olympics at age 18 aboard a "brindled" hanoverian until her dreams where derailed. Flash forward 20 years and her daughter is invited to train with an olympian and bonds with a blue roan Nokota gelding who refuses to let anyone on his back until she gets on him and magically pulls out shoulder in, haunches in, half pass, passage, pirouette and tempi changes. Apparently when a rider is just that special and bonds instantly with a horse they can magically pull Grand Prix tests out of their behinds
    I think that sounds just like some of the postings on this Board

Thomas, you are sooo, tragically, right....

And she (Gruen) couldn't even bother to get the bloody dressage test right. I mean, they're ONLINE - it's not even HARD to figure out what movements are in an I test, and in what order!

I was even willing to suspend disbelief for the whole you have to be QUALIFIED to ride Intermediate thing...but the dressage test just drove me over the edge!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Thomas, you are sooo, tragically, right....

And she (Gruen) couldn't even bother to get the bloody dressage test right. I mean, they're ONLINE - it's not even HARD to figure out what movements are in an I test, and in what order!
    Now you're just trying to make me feel bad!

I've twice got dressage tests wrong in competition

Fortunately on one occasion the horse was more intelligent than I was and he knew what he was doing and totally ignored my instruction and carried on to correct me which spurred me into recollection. With the other it was just a memorable disaster!

Is that legal?

And to get this thread back on topic and save you ladies getting all in a hot sweaty frenzy.....
    Too late. Once Robert Redford is mentioned it is all over. Somewhere in Montana we all have a cowboy waiting for us.

When my wife watched the horse whisperer she spent most of the time saying "wow gorgeous, I'd have that". And I know fine and well she didn't mean the horse!

Too late. Once Robert Redford is mentioned it is all over. Somewhere in Montana we all have a cowboy waiting for us.
    Sod's law, it could be one of the ones from Brokeback Mountain

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    Oh yeah.
    AND did you notice the scene where the horse's chest heaves?!

THIS movie supposedly DID use a horse "expert." What for, I dunno.
    OK - I could live with either of those faux pas....
    but the horses had eyebrows for crissake!!!!!!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I was watching some Chinese movie (don't remember which one) and there's one part where this man is chasing this woman through a forest, and one starts out on a bay and the other on a chestnut, and throughout the chase they keep switching horses! Like, it will show the girl galloping on the chestnut, then cut back to the guy...who is also on the chestnut. Cut back to the girl and she's on a bay now. It was bad enough that even most of the non-horsey people I was with noticed it, and years later, it's the only thing I really remember about the movie. It looked like a lot of money and care went into the film, too, so it was even more glaring.

And yeah, Riding Lessons was terrible. I read the entire thing because I'm masochistic that way, but ugh. I wish my bond with my young'un was enough to pull off a GP test. He'll do anything for me but we're still having some difficulty with the concept of a balanced canter.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I was watching some Chinese movie (don't remember which one) and there's one part where this man is chasing this woman through a forest, and one starts out on a bay and the other on a chestnut, and throughout the chase they keep switching horses! Like, it will show the girl galloping on the chestnut, then cut back to the guy...who is also on the chestnut. Cut back to the girl and she's on a bay now. It was bad enough that even most of the non-horsey people I was with noticed it, and years later, it's the only thing I really remember about the movie. It looked like a lot of money and care went into the film, too, so it was even more glaring.
    House of Flying Daggers which I love but my friends and I joke there must have been only two horses in China
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Sod's law, it could be one of the ones from Brokeback Mountain
    Oh Thomas, you made iced tea come out of my nose..was that double entendre intentional ??!
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012