The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Anyone else love when in Hidalgo, the horse is turned loose with the 'wild' horses at the end with his nice shiny shoes flashing in the sunlight?

Coyote chow anyone?
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

There was one, I can't remember the name... A horse was diagnosed with navicular and was pretty much immediately put down.
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    The Horse Whisperer lost me when the inexperienced mother (with sullen, traumatized teen) hauled the violent, traumatized horse from New York to Montana. They had to chase the horse into the trailer, so first of all I can't imagine it was a smooth and pleasant ride. There was no mention of stopping anywhere en route to feed or water the horse, never mind to rest overnight and let it off the trailer. Though I could understand driving straight through with a wild nutty horse, that would require two drivers, driving in shifts, etc.

And then they stop at some National Park for an angst-filled mother/daughter episode, with the horse still in the trailer? Just wacky!
    JoZ,

I don't know how to tell you this but I'll start by suggesting you sit down................

It wasn't real. It was just a film. Robert Redford isn't really waiting to train your horse.

.. yes, but that is why I was disappointed. Robert Redford knows something about horses and I watch anything with RR in it. Hugging pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    JoZ,

I don't know how to tell you this but I'll start by suggesting you sit down................

It wasn't real. It was just a film. Robert Redford isn't really waiting to train your horse.
    That may be so, but Viggo Mortensen (sp?) IS waiting to ride mine across the desert to victory.............. right?

Viggo Mortensen ???? Who the heck is Viggo Mortensen ???

JoZ,

Oh how embarrassing... my mistake. I was under the impression this thread was about novels and movies, didn't realize I was the only one posting about a made-up situation!

I do, however, know who Viggo Mortensen is! And he could train my horse any time, regardless of his skill in that regard.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

http://www.brego.net/viggo/movies/hidalgo/

Thomas, you're a boy, you just wouldn't undersand

I prefer Viggo in the company of hobbits and elves myself....
    Y'all ain't right!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    I prefer Viggo in the company of hobbits and elves myself....
    Is that legal?

And to get this thread back on topic and save you ladies getting all in a hot sweaty frenzy..... There was sort of a similarish posting in the driving forums this week:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=128292

Is that legal?
    I think it depends on how old they are
    Y'all ain't right!

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon, is a time travel novel. A British woman from the 1940's falls back through time to 1740's Scottish Highlands. Great read. Makes you feel like you're really there. One of the rare blips though is the male protag rides a sorrel stallion. Author's from Phoenix, AZ.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

You are hereby BANNED from the company of COTH women!

Default re: novels are supposed to be accurate?

Teacher, that little gem was by the ever so accurate Fern Michaels, called Kentucky Sunrise.....I am ashamed to say I actually read the whole thing. By the way, jockey was so "famous" that she never even needed a license! Just hopped on and away we go to the Kentucky Derby. I musta been desperate!
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by teacher View Post
    This does drive me batty! I can't remember the title or author ---I think it had Kentucky in the title and its part of a series. The protagonist runs away from home with her young child, is found sleeping in her car at the entrance to a fabulous TB breeding farm owned by a widow with no children . They not only end up taking this woman in, but then she inherits the farm. Naturally, after years of hard work, she raises a Derby prospect, and takes the whole family to the big event. No, I'm not talking her SO, kid, or siblings.I'm talking about her taking the horse's sire and dam along for the trip! Oh, and since the Derby horse loves her best she not only is his exercise rider (realize that she is way into middle age by this time), but she also gets a jockey license to ride him in the race!

I couldn't decide whether to LMAO or pull my hair out reading this crap!
    It's one of the Fern Michaels "Kentucky" boots... Kentucky Heat, Kentucky Rich, Kentucky Sunrise, something like that.
    Uggh!
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Default on the flip side.....

My riding buddy works in the newspaper business. Was talking to me today that everyone at the paper knows she rides horses. So they come up to her with all these funny questions about what was just written in the horse section in the paper. (lol you know you live in Virginia when your local newspaper has a horse column)

Anyway her co-workers wanted to know what a *cooler* was. And what the heck was a *Pleasure Class*. I can imagine their confusion when coming across some words in the horse column.

Sometimes I think that when we talk to non-horse people all they hear is words that make no sense to them.

But I'd say that every book written by a non-horsey author has horse related mistakes.

Spirit - just t's me off! eyebrows, teeth, "talking", super fast growing mane, and on and on and on -HATED IT!!

Olivia Newton-John had a picture taken on agrey horse in the 70's with PINK plastic reins - coming in through the tops of her hands furry boots with heels up and Smiling to beat the band!!! ARGH!!!!!!
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Anytime I read a book where the rider 'kicked the horse in the flanks' my head hits the desk and the book goes flying and meets the wall.

Major pet peeve of mine.
    *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
    www.windyislesfarms.com
    Like Us on Facebook

Fern Michaels needed to be shot for the horrendous Kentucky series!!! To say there were gross inaccurancies to to put it very mildly! She claims she took some "creative" license- she should be ashamed of the CR@P she put in print.

Florian the Lippizaner by Felix Salten (author of Bambi) is a neat story and historical insight into WW1 era, but he does pull some horse gaffs in there, such as calling Florian at birth a pure white Lippizaner - "in a field of white foals, he was the only one truly white."

The line out of Seabiscuit that had me almost throwing something at the screen, the one about War Admiral being 18 hands.

I had a home aide client who was watching Dreamer one day during my shift turn it off near the end, just after the girl rode Sonador in the winner's circle, because she was tired of me pointing out various errors in horses in general and racing in specific. "But it's a TRUE story," she objected. "It says so." Um, no. They allegedly got the idea from a true story, but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away by the time it hit the screen.

Was rereading the Saddle Club a few months ago, which I enjoy in lighter mindless moments when I just want to relax, and they are working in a handicapped riding program. One boy has trouble counting, so he's supposed to count things as he's tacking up, as part of his therapy. He counts 4 hocks, and they tell him that's correct! I also admit, I couldn't help but inserting Bam Bam, my half-Arabian, half-lunatic gelding of my youth, into that scene in one where Carol takes Starlight to the big professional-level fireworks display on July 4th "because he was young, and she wanted to introduce him to new things," leads him up as the only horse in a crowd of people watching, then hops up on him (I believe bareback) before the thing starts "so she can see better." Had that been Bam instead of Starlight, that scene would have gone differently.