The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Wink Novels with horse related mistakes in them

Since it's cold and rainy here in Pittsburgh today, and I am recovering from a cold, I am curled up on the couch with a novel. It is an older novel that I found at the used book store, and the main female is an olympic event rider. The only problem are all of the horse related mistakes. They are little, and most non-horsey readers won't know the difference, but they are driving *me* nuts, lol.

The things around the horses belly are called girths in english riding, not cinches. And they are buckled, not tied

There are no Piaffes in eventing dressage tests, lol.

At regular shows, riders do not get individual dressing rooms. Its called either a stall, trailer, or porta potty.

That thing horses stand on is called a hoof, not a foot, and the joint above is a fetlock not an ankle.

and last but not least, horses are not bred in the last week of August.

What books or Movies do you want to love, but the horsey mistakes drive you nuts?

Default Where to begin.... LOL LOL

Your right, there are a lot of books and movies with horse errors in them.

Ever watch Sylvester closely, when they show the old man riding at night the horse SUDDENLY has a 2' mane..

How about the Hallmark Movie "The Long Shot" Very seldom, bordering on NEVER do you stitch below the knee joint.

As far as what you said about breeding in the fall, that might fit in if you were in the southern hemisphere. So the author of that book could be from South America.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

too many movies to list.

I did recently see a romance novel at the drug store that made me fall over myself laughing... it was set in the "wild west" in the 1800s or something. The bare chested man on the cover was sitting in an... aussie saddle. With a modern black dressage bridle complete with flash noseband.

There was something else really silly... oh yeah, he had tall field boots on too, modern style ones.

hehe.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    Your right, there are a lot of books and movies with horse errors in them.

Ever watch Sylvester closely, when they show the old man riding at night the horse SUDDENLY has a 2' mane..
    Haha. I used to watch that movie all the time till my VCR ate it. The fact that the very TB looking Sylvester was supposed to be a mustang always made me laugh...and then he suddenly turns into an Andalusian, lol

As far as what you said about breeding in the fall, that might fit in if you were in the southern hemisphere. So the author of that book could be from South America.
    True. But for this book, it was set in Kentucky and then moves to Montana. The author is from Montana.

I read a book (can't remember the title) that had two pure white Arabians with blue eyes. Also had an eight-year-old whose main mount was a stallion.

Trainer, who was mother of the kid who rode the stallion and trainer of the two "Arabs" was breaking a horse. It bucked like a rodeo bronc for "minutes" and she never came off. Pro rodeo riders only have to stay on for eight seconds.

Otherwise it was a very good book. It was a mystery novel. The horsey mistakes really irked me though.

Oh yea, read the same book about the Arabs. Good reading, though many errors.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

If it's a novel and horses are involved I try to stick with Dick Francis and Rita Mae Brown.

Anything written by Fern Michaels. Pretty much wrong all the way along.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

One of my all time favorite authors, Dee Henderson, has a series of books about a family of adult siblings all involved in Public Safety of some sort.

Being in that field, I was doubtful, but most of the police/fire/ems stuff is very correct, and the rest is at least plausible for entertainment purposes.

I read the series out of order, and finally got a hold of the very first in the series. In which we ride horses for a brief scene. And I was CRUSHED. She got so many of the very, very technical details RIGHT in a very complicated venue... and then the whole trail ride on the ranch was just awful.

Nora Roberts, OTOH, does pretty damn good with horse related stuff.

Oh, and I breed in August. We have snow into May... I prefer June & July foals. I actually breed right through October provided we have cycles. And I'm in the Northeast.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default not a book, but

did you notice in the animated movie, Spirit, the horses lap water like dogs? What is up with that? LOL
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

man such a big pet-peeve of mine! I don't often watch or read horsey related stuff, but I can't stand writers who take the effort to supposedly do 'research' and they're wrong!

I've had SO many frustrating moments when incorrect gymnastics information in movies and tv. I've been a gymnast since I was 6, though I haven't done much of it since HS (I was getting too tall, lol) and almost EVERYTHING i see on tv for it (that than the actual sport) is atleast half wrong and its something that could of been fixed if the writers too 5 minutes to look on the internet.

Also a kids show once said Michigan State University was in the wrong city GRR, I hate that. lol.

This does drive me batty! I can't remember the title or author ---I think it had Kentucky in the title and its part of a series. The protagonist runs away from home with her young child, is found sleeping in her car at the entrance to a fabulous TB breeding farm owned by a widow with no children . They not only end up taking this woman in, but then she inherits the farm. Naturally, after years of hard work, she raises a Derby prospect, and takes the whole family to the big event. No, I'm not talking her SO, kid, or siblings.I'm talking about her taking the horse's sire and dam along for the trip! Oh, and since the Derby horse loves her best she not only is his exercise rider (realize that she is way into middle age by this time), but she also gets a jockey license to ride him in the race!

I couldn't decide whether to LMAO or pull my hair out reading this crap!

The horses in The Horse Whisperer were not the least bit alike. They could have used some Lady Clairol to fix up the colours.

Quote Originally Posted by seeuatx View Post
    Since it's cold and rainy here in Pittsburgh today, and I am recovering from a cold, I am curled up on the couch with a novel. It is an older novel that I found at the used book store, and the main female is an olympic event rider. The only problem are all of the horse related mistakes. They are little, and most non-horsey readers won't know the difference, but they are driving *me* nuts, lol.

The things around the horses belly are called girths in english riding, not cinches. And they are buckled, not tied

There are no Piaffes in eventing dressage tests, lol.

At regular shows, riders do not get individual dressing rooms. Its called either a stall, trailer, or porta potty.

That thing horses stand on is called a hoof, not a foot, and the joint above is a fetlock not an ankle.

and last but not least, horses are not bred in the last week of August.

What books or Movies do you want to love, but the horsey mistakes drive you nuts?
    I hate reading horsey books with mistakes like these..but we (farriers) use 'foot' all the time, never ankle though.
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Alice View Post
    did you notice in the animated movie, Spirit, the horses lap water like dogs? What is up with that? LOL
    Oh yeah.
    AND did you notice the scene where the horse's chest heaves?!

THIS movie supposedly DID use a horse "expert." What for, I dunno.

Yeah, it bugs me, but if I know the write isn't really that horsey, then it doesn't faze me as much.

I'm reading a Nora Roberts one right now where it mentions that horses are euthanized with acepromazine, and that to euth with a gun she shot behind the ears. Uh, no...never hears the Ace one....is this or has this ever been true? Wouldn't it have to be a butt-load of it to do the job?????

In this book, one guy killed another guy by spiking his gin with Ace.
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

so another movie..and a very particularly funny one to watch on a sick rainy day is....

The Saddle Club

but in it the people do not get in two points! it bothers me so much!

I watched Robin Hood on TV earlier this evening and the riding horses had driving britching on

Quote Originally Posted by StellaDora View Post
    so another movie..and a very particularly funny one to watch on a sick rainy day is....

The Saddle Club

but in it the people do not get in two points! it bothers me so much!

Occasionally I babysit my friend's 2 girls (2nd and 4th grade). They are not particularly horsey, but they like to come out to the barn to groom and walk around on my boys once in a while.

Last time I sat for them I rented a few episodes of The Saddle Club for them (I had never seen it before).

Claire, the 4th grader (9.5 yrs for you, Thomas!) cracked me up, she HATED the show and said, "Allie, this is not so much about horses..It's about trying to get boys to like you"
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

The Horse Whisperer lost me when the inexperienced mother (with sullen, traumatized teen) hauled the violent, traumatized horse from New York to Montana. They had to chase the horse into the trailer, so first of all I can't imagine it was a smooth and pleasant ride. There was no mention of stopping anywhere en route to feed or water the horse, never mind to rest overnight and let it off the trailer. Though I could understand driving straight through with a wild nutty horse, that would require two drivers, driving in shifts, etc.

And then they stop at some National Park for an angst-filled mother/daughter episode, with the horse still in the trailer? Just wacky!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?