The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just had my knee done, so no, am not going to the schooling show! I was going to go to the last one, and this one, with 3 horses, but those plans went flying out the window when I had surgery!

Sorry we'll miss you. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Thanks Have fun and good luck to you!

I think there are several interesting points in this thread...
    Doing it correctly. Especially in dressage. I mean, what is Dressage? I think of underlying mechanics and grace, communication.
    *Who* is correct and how do you find them (so many qualified and unqualified trainers out there...)

Having fun

And as exvet mentioned: how to fit all this learning in your schedule and pay the bills!

I have a naughty habit left over from days of no instruction: I look at my shadow on the ground to check on my position when no mirrors are around! Now, thankfully, I have a trainer, mirrors, books, DVDs, video, COTH...so many resources! Pheeewweee!

Quote Originally Posted by feisomeday View Post
    what if you spend many years and umpteen dollars seriously studying and training at what you thought was dressage, but it turns out to be all wrong?

what if you had a great time doing it and was riding a horse that was totally unsuited for dressage, but it turns out to be all wrong? Does it really matter?

What if what you thought was dressage really couldn't honestly be anything close to the Real Thing? Should it be called by a different name? What was it if it wasn't Dressage?
    Oy! way too deep for me.

I take a weekly lesson from an excellent instructor who started out in h/j, switched to dressage and just has a good way with horses. I ride 2-3 times/week in addition to my lesson and plan on showing TL-4 at a recog. show this year. (big whoop to some of you, but I'm excited )

My horse is going well -- I get loads of compliments on him and he seems very happy. I'm having the time of my life because I'm finally starting to understand the mechanics of riding.

If it's not dressage, who gives a damn? We're both enjoying ourselves.

A-MEN mp!!!

Wink

AMEN mp as well...it's supposed to be fun and make you happy- at least when you're an amateur.
    I think reading a lot and educating yourself through videos and training books is a great way to check on your training.
    I am also a big fan of lessons rather than Full training...many spices make a good soup- same with dressage....

You guys make me feel so much better after reading some of your comments. I recently broke up with my instructor (at least temporarily) for a myriad of reasons, one of them being that I kind of question exactly how she's teaching me. Since I only just get to ride her horse in my lessons, rather than my own (which was part of the reason for me moving barns in the first place!), I felt as though I was learning all the tricks to get 1st-2nd level movements. Unfortunately, that doesn't do me a darn bit of good when it comes to teaching my own horse who is green to all of this.

Don't get me wrong - I do think that she's very knowledgable, but it just isn't what I (or my horses) need right now. Also, I'm giving up lessons for a while to pay off vet bills and to also work towards paying for the "new horse", who is very talented and isn't as green. It feels like the right thing to do, and I was going to have to stop lessons even before deciding on getting the horse. (The horse sort of fell in my lap - I wasn't expecting to buy her, but my barn owner says that the right horse always comes along when you're not looking and when you don't necessarily have the money to get it. )

So, I'm taking what I already know and what I'm learning from the books, articles, etc., and am implementing those things with my new horse. Once my injured mare is ready to go back to work, I'll do the same with her and just do very basic dressage and use her for judged pleasure trail rides, hunter flat classes, and maybe do a TL dressage test here and there. The new horse will then become my primary "show" horse.

All that being said, the point is that I just want me and my horses to be happy. I'm NOT happy when I'm not working with my own girls regularly. I'm NOT happy learning things that I can't teach them yet and that I'm going to forget anyway, because I CAN'T teach them these things as we haven't even mastered the steps that lead up to those 2nd level movements! I've only ridden the new horse 5 times, and I've been happier these past 2 weeks bonding with her and learning her than I've been in the past 2 months. The great thing is that I'm finally learning to trust myself in bringing along both of my mares correctly. My biggest accomplishment of late may only be when my new mare stretches down and into contact and slows her trot to my posting. But I'm thrilled, because it means I'm doing something right. Yay me!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Default .

I am a much better rider because of dressage. I started riding in other disciplines and still do them. I think they go hand in hand in my learning as did the bad training and good.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I don't glorify dressage to the point where it feels untouchable. I still believe the "old" belief any horse can do dressage. It's more realistic though, that when you watch any large shows, those just aren't "any horses" competing out there. I don't ride particularly large movers, not all of them use themselves the same way. The best they can has to be good enough for me. It's disappointing, honestly, but this is what I like to do. One trainer simply said, you ride the horse you buy. I choose to ride the horses I ride because I like them, and I tend to see from my view, a lot of people who ride dressage "buy dressage", not buy the horse per se. Nothing wrong with buying a good horse to help you along, but it often seems looked on as a guarantee. As far as instruction, there seems to be a type of person that throws money at dressage for the sake of the "passion" or "art". If things don't go well with the horse or training, "it's just the pursuit of art," doncha know. That dressage horse can't even be ridden outside? How many years has it been in dressage training to be responsive, obedient and submissive? Oh well, I would never knock expense, no doubt, sometimes it really just is expensive. But dressage just doesn't automatically mean big bucks. Good instruction can come from the cowboy down the street, but someone has to be humble enough to not care what some other personality might think of it. I'm not a cynic, but I just have run into the same type of personalities in my dressage community. They are embarrassed to not ride the right type of horse, to not have the right tack, not be taught by the right trainer x times a week, have a very good collection of books and videos, but only ride one horse five times a week, and usually think that the pursuit of dressage is the only way to enjoy horses, to the point of looking down on other disciplines. I'm not going to stop being involved in the community, not going to try to change other poeple, .

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    it's supposed to be fun and make you happy- at least when you're an amateur.
    My instructor once pointed out to me that the root of "amateur" is the Latin verb "amare" -- to love. So, if you're an amateur and don't love what you're doing, either find another way of doing it or pick another hobby.

Made sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mp View Post
    My instructor once pointed out to me that the root of "amateur" is the Latin verb "amare" -- to love. So, if you're an amateur and don't love what you're doing, either find another way of doing it or pick another hobby.

Made sense to me.
    That is a wonderful way to look at it. Thank you for sharing that!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."