The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Ummm....poor Janet, she'd "pack her FOUR-HORSE TRAILER" (it was given to her for free perhaps, since she was so poor?) (and what did she pull it with?).....musta had SOME money. And what about those who rely on the charity of friend to get to a show, make sacrifies to keep ONE horse, and would like to show a little as they progress? Or folks like me, driving a 20 year old truck and pulling a 15 year old trainer, both purchased used many years ago?

Two shows, 58% riders will qualify? In what world? Four classes a show at 2nd level? I don't THINK so.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. If it is too much trouble for a judge - who is being PAID to judge - to sit through six minutes of some shitty ammy ride, then perhaps they should do something else with their weekends. Horse welfare my ass.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Two shows, 58% riders will qualify? In what world? Four classes a show at 2nd level? I don't THINK so.

Not only four classes a show, but the two shows have to have four separate judges between them so you can get the correct number of judges for qualifying. Not every show has more than one judge!

Those areas of the country with fewer shows usually have smaller shows as well - meaning one ring, one judge.

These people forget that not every area of the country is like Wellington or California - we don't have multi-ring, multi-judge shows!

Wow, Janet Foy-Brown is a piece of work! You know what they say... the fish rots from the head down...

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Not only four classes a show, but the two shows have to have four separate judges between them so you can get the correct number of judges for qualifying. Not every show has more than one judge!

Those areas of the country with fewer shows usually have smaller shows as well - meaning one ring, one judge.

These people forget that not every area of the country is like Wellington or California - we don't have multi-ring, multi-judge shows!

Of course, you're right. Forgot to mention that. And for those where shows are few and further apart, you have to add the travel expense and hotel/motel/food, etc. expenses.

I am lucky being in NoCal with multiple shows within an hour or two. But even most of those are one- or two day shows/one judge, so you're talking AT LEAST four shows (assuming no duplication of judges, and that DOES happen). The view from the top seems to be somewhat distorted, to say the least. "do it in two shows" -"get a loan and buy a better, (i.e., more expensive) horse" - "should not be riding a horse down the center line that should be chasing cows..." [the steam is beginning to come out of my ears] - not to mention that continuing LIE (apparently) that dressage is supposed to be about improving the horse, not about the GAITS you can purchase. Sigh. Well, most things come down to money, and dressage headed in that direction a long time ago, and it looks like most of the higher-ups have fallen into that trap, to the detriment of the majority of the USDF/USEF membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Of course, you're right. Forgot to mention that. And for those where shows are few and further apart, you have to add the travel expense and hotel/motel/food, etc. expenses.

I am lucky being in NoCal with multiple shows within an hour or two. But even most of those are one- or two day shows/one judge, so you're talking AT LEAST four shows (assuming no duplication of judges, and that DOES happen). The view from the top seems to be somewhat distorted, to say the least. "do it in two shows" -"get a loan and buy a better, (i.e., more expensive) horse" - "should not be riding a horse down the center line that should be chasing cows..." [the steam is beginning to come out of my ears] - not to mention that continuing LIE (apparently) that dressage is supposed to be about improving the horse, not about the GAITS you can purchase. Sigh. Well, most things come down to money, and dressage headed in that direction a long time ago, and it looks like most of the higher-ups have fallen into that trap, to the detriment of the majority of the USDF/USEF membership.
    And ultimately to the detriment of the sport as a whole. If a sport is not accessible to a large number of people, there is very little interest. If there is very little interest, then there are fewer spectators, fewer sponsors, fewer volunteers, fewer competitors,etc. etc. etc.

Just what we need at this point in time--with the economy not so hot and equestrian sports already under extreme pressure.

No wonder people are turning to better marketed alternatives like Natural Horsemanship!!!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Wink

As I composed my letter to the USEF BOD, I was tempted to add this bit of wisdom from Janet Foy
    (and wondered what David O'Connor might think)

quote Janet Foy:
    "Many horses do not understand that they should be able to go to third level and do extended trot when they were really bred to chase cows."

Would he be thinking about a little arab/shetland/tb cross pony named Theodore who blew the competition away at the Pan-Am's.

Of course, Teddy is only a pony, and 14H ponies don't understand that they were not bred to go flying around *** cross-country courses!

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    Otherwise, isn't USEF saying to them, "Take up a new sport?"

That is pretty much what they are saying to most of us.