The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dressage Riders' opinions on other disciplines?

So, in a thread in the off-topic forum, me and a few other folks were conversing about the types of bits (or bitless setups, in my case) with our horses. One person mentioned she uses a kimberwick with what I think is called a segunda mouth (I could be wrong on that word.. ), and I personally use a mech hack for a lot of my time in the saddle. Then we joked that if we took that thread over here to Dressage forum, we'd get our heads chopped off and served on a platter.

That kinda makes me wonder though, what do you Dressage folks think of other disciplines? What about the barrel racers, tearing it up with wild eyes around the barrels. Or the endurance riders, with their little dished Arab mount's heads up in the air as they go along? Or the WP riders, whose horses don't get ridden with basically ANY rein contact whatsoever, and travel :insert gasp here: on the forehand?

So Dressage folks. What say you about the outside world?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Are you under the impression that dressage riders don't take part in any other equine discipline? If so, you're quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Are you under the impression that dressage riders don't take part in any other equine discipline. If so, you're quite wrong.
    Where in my post did I say that?

well I've rode all types of disciplines. I started off trail riding for fun then took hunter/jumper classes in college and rode that for a while then I went back to trail riding then to barrel racing (which is loadssss of fun) then back to hunters and then jumpers and now to dressage and we are trying out a little eventing as well this year. So I have no problem with other disciplines because I rode many types and they are all different in many ways it just depends on what you want to do. I think dressage is a good basic on ANY horse no matter WP, or Barrel racing, or even show jumeprs. I think each discipline is specfic to that discipline and really can't be compared to each other that includes rider and horse. I'm having a really hard time now to sit and relax in dressage because of all the forward riding I've done in the past. Whatever floats your boat is what I say. BUT I DO HATE the WP horses that 4 beat (i think thats what its called) Thats just horrible with the broken leg canter. Can't stand that.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    well I've rode all types of disciplines. I started off trail riding for fun then took hunter/jumper classes in college and rode that for a while then I went back to trail riding then to barrel racing (which is loadssss of fun) then back to hunters and then jumpers and now to dressage and we are trying out a little eventing as well this year. So I have no problem with other disciplines because I rode many types and they are all different in many ways it just depends on what you want to do. I think dressage is a good basic on ANY horse no matter WP, or Barrel racing, or even show jumeprs. I think each discipline is specfic to that discipline and really can't be compared to each other that includes rider and horse. I'm having a really hard time now to sit and relax in dressage because of all the forward riding I've done in the past. Whatever floats your boat is what I say. BUT I DO HATE the WP horses that 4 beat (i think thats what its called) Thats just horrible with the broken leg canter. Can't stand that.
    I think I agree with you, that some basic foundation in Dressage can help with a lot of disciplines, western and english alike. Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Where in my post did I say that?
    Where in my post did it say that you said that?
    In case you have a comprehension problem; it was a question that I asked you.

Dressage is The Only True Way. Surely you know that.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I have an appreciation for all disciplines, but there are certain methods/trainers/riders that ruin it for me. I started riding dressage with Helmut (he wouldn't let me jump until we had the basics down) and then moved to H/J and now back to dressage. Although now I find myself owning a dressage mount, a H/J prospect, and a WP trained (shown in halter) Paint. My main boy can be quite the handful and I chose to purchase my Paint over a 2nd level school horse because it is such a relaxing ride (a nice break). Of course I also got him so hubby could start riding. I even boarded at a primarily NSH barn for a couple of years. Although some of the training methods left a lot to be desired I did grow an appreciation for saddle seat and some breeds I hadn't previously been exposed to. Oh, and I've also trail ridden a bunch with the OTTBs I had previously. My paint has now also made his debut in his first homecoming parade with a friend's niece aboard.

I respect most of the other disciplines. All disciplines have their good and bad horses and trainers.
    BTW some of you really need to go and see a REAL western pleasure horse. Like maybe one I have trained.
    A real pleasure horse is honest in the bridle and always comes from behind, ISN'T heavy on the forehand and can also do lead changes every 2-3 strides. Clean changes, unlike so many hunters I see at the shows who go half way around the ring, cross cantering

I am so sick of seeing everyone bashing the wp horse. Not sure where you all are going or what your watching but there are GOOD ones out there, they don't all four beat and travel heavy infront

Where in my post did it say that you said that?
    In case you have a comprehension problem; it was a question that I asked you.
    Why do you have to be so nasty? Sheesh, lighten up or don't post. It's real simple. It's supposed to be fun posting around here.

DressageGeek; I KNEW IT!

vestito; I kind of have the same outlook you do. It's a good way to look at it, I think.

I start every horse with dressage basics. I'm working with a greenie right now who will be a trail horse and eventually child's wp mount - and I'm starting him exactly the same way I started my own event prospect. Well, except with a heavier saddle.

A good wp horse is exhibiting a great deal of collection, and is not going around dumped on the forehand.

A good barrel run is just dressage at speed. You can't get those turns - which is where it's won or lost - without engagement, suppleness, and a very responsive horse.

A good endurance horse isn't moving like a GP horse, but they are balanced and using their butts. The endurance riders I've known all schooled dressage extensively at home, because it builds the right muscles. (Granted, that's a small sample size... )

Of course, the key word here is "good." You have good and bad in every discipline, though. And in pretty much every discipline you have bad that makes it to the top once in awhile, too, for whatever reason - but that doesn't change the actual definition of "good," though it may lead to some unfortunate fads.

So I guess my answer to your question is that I don't look down on other disciplines because I think it's ALL dressage - just with different end goals. I may look down on certain practitioners of those disciplines, sure, but I look down on certain practitioners of dressage, too.
    Proud member of the EDRF

It's supposed to be fun posting around here.
    "we'd get our heads chopped off and served on a platter. "

Great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by vestito View Post
    I respect most of the other disciplines. All disciplines have their good and bad horses and trainers.
    BTW some of you really need to go and see a REAL western pleasure horse. Like maybe one I have trained.
    A real pleasure horse is honest in the bridle and always comes from behind, ISN'T heavy on the forehand and can also do lead changes every 2-3 strides. Clean changes, unlike so many hunters I see at the shows who go half way around the ring, cross cantering

I am so sick of seeing everyone bashing the wp horse. Not sure where you all are going or what your watching but there are GOOD ones out there, they don't all four beat and travel heavy infront

I AM NOT BASHING THEM!! My friends that show WP have the most beautiful sane horses!! THey round so nicely and use their HQ, I wish I had a photo or video to post of one of theirs. The do not broke leg lope and they are not peanut rolled. Actually my friends that board with me just sent their 4 yr old off and he just got back from these folks. They trained him and he is amazing in 2 months. NO DRAW REINS, NO SIDE REINS, NO MECHANICAL DEVICES OF ANY KIND and this horse is already perfect for the hunter ring and uses his Hindend beautifully. You do have to admit though that some WP horses are trained really really badly and look horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    I start every horse with dressage basics. I'm working with a greenie right now who will be a trail horse and eventually child's wp mount - and I'm starting him exactly the same way I started my own event prospect. Well, except with a heavier saddle.

A good wp horse is exhibiting a great deal of collection, and is not going around dumped on the forehand.

A good barrel run is just dressage at speed. You can't get those turns - which is where it's won or lost - without engagement, suppleness, and a very responsive horse.

A good endurance horse isn't moving like a GP horse, but they are balanced and using their butts. The endurance riders I've known all schooled dressage extensively at home, because it builds the right muscles. (Granted, that's a small sample size... )

Of course, the key word here is "good." You have good and bad in every discipline, though. And in pretty much every discipline you have bad that makes it to the top once in awhile, too, for whatever reason - but that doesn't change the actual definition of "good," though it may lead to some unfortunate fads.

So I guess my answer to your question is that I don't look down on other disciplines because I think it's ALL dressage - just with different end goals. [b] I may look down on certain practitioners of those disciplines, sure, but I look down on certain practitioners of dressage, too. [b]
    Hahahaha, good point.

Equibrit; That was a joke.. it kinda goes hand and hand with the 'fun' concept. Cmon now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    Very well said. WP was not always like that, and hopefully it won't be forever (*v. optimistic*).

Our horse sports have become so specialized that there is room for exaggeration and abuse in any discipline. Someone always has to take things one step further to win. Kinda makes you wonder where dressage is going to go in the next 20 or 50 years. Will we be riding 22hh horses with 32 ft. trot strides? They'll have to make bigger arenas.

"we'd get our heads chopped off and served on a platter. "

Great fun!
    Way to prove her wrong by being so down-to-earth and friendly!

honestly, i don't care for any of the western/gaming events that i've seen. i don't care for any of the natural horsemanship that i've seen. (is that a discipline?) i don't care for any of the big lick or saddle seat stuff that i have seen. doesn't mean that there aren't excellent riders and horses in these areas, i just haven't been fortunate enough to come across them. i guess i also don't care for racing, while i'm at it..

other than that, i've never had a problem with endurance, eventing, hunters, trail riding, vaulting or driving.

Quote Originally Posted by class View Post
    honestly, i don't care for any of the western/gaming events that i've seen. i don't care for any of the natural horsemanship that i've seen. (is that a discipline?) i don't care for any of the big lick or saddle seat stuff that i have seen. doesn't mean that there aren't excellent riders and horses in these areas, i just haven't been fortunate enough to come across them.

other than that, i've never had a problem with endurance, eventing, hunters, trail riding, vaulting or driving.
    That's a good point. I try and have equal respect for all disciplines.. but I'm sorry, NH is just a big thumbs-down in my book. Maybe I've just had too many bad experiences with it (and more specifically, the people who follow it ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post

Our horse sports have become so specialized that there is room for exaggeration and abuse in any discipline. Someone always has to take things one step further to win. Kinda makes you wonder where dressage is going to go in the next 20 or 50 years. Will we be riding 22hh horses with 32 ft. trot strides? They'll have to make bigger arenas.

yes! exactly what I was thinking. disciplines are not only specialized, but overly stylized, maybe in an attempt to set themselves apart from others. but I think thats where I get annoyed. I haven't enjoyed watching any saddle seat I've seen, and I've only enjoyed some of the WP - but it was at a local show, so it sounds like the low level may have had something to do with it.

So, in a thread in the off-topic forum, me and a few other folks were conversing about the types of bits (or bitless setups, in my case) with our horses. One person mentioned she uses a kimberwick with what I think is called a segunda mouth (I could be wrong on that word.. ), and I personally use a mech hack for a lot of my time in the saddle. Then we joked that if we took that thread over here to Dressage forum, we'd get our heads chopped off and served on a platter.
    I must admit that I had a question about what kind of bit to put on my strong/tends to pull and lean horse, and I took it to the eventing forum for just that reason!

Quote: Or the WP riders, whose horses don't get ridden with basically ANY rein contact whatsoever, and travel :insert gasp here: on the forehand?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Why do you assume that WP horses travel on the forehand? It sounds to me like you are assuming ALL do it? If that is the case, you need to go watch a *real* show.

4 beating is also "out" for a real WP horse also. Yes, that was the case a few years back, but you won't place now in any rated shows.