The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lessons/boarding in north shore mass

Does anyone have any recomendatioins for a great barn that offers boarding and has decent dressage instructor?? It would have to be within 30 minutes give or take of Newburyport mass. Reasonably priced would be a plus!!!!

Thanks

Forget about reasonably priced.

but check out Jen Mahoney-Goland at Grand View Farm in Rowley (http://www.grandviewdressage.com)
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

expensive, but worth is... Sons of the Wind is right in Merrimac.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I like Winthrop Farm- I've been riding there for a number of years- love the owner/trainer. She has a very nice/correct teaching style. Love the facilities- 80 x 200 indoor, 100 x 200 outdoor, trails off the property, turnout, large stalls and a nice group of people. I'm not sure what you consider reasonable on the North Shore...

annsea Guest

Default Bradford Equestrian Center

I have boarded there for several years and have been very happy with the experience. The indoor has excellent shredded rubber/sand footing, and the farm also has an outdoor full-size sand arena. Keith Angstadt is the trainer/instructor and he is great to work with. The farm is in Bradford (Haverhill), not far from Rt 495.

What about Wadsworth Farm in Danvers? Very nice place although I think board is about $900/month. I think you will be hardpressed to find baord cheaper than that for a quality dressage barn in our area
    I used to ride with Vitor Silva when he was still in NH (Sons Of The Wind) and he is a great teacher. When I rode with him his focus was on classical dressage and schooling piaffe, passage, spanish walk. I rode many of his stallions and they are all very well behaved easy and comfortable to ride.

forensic Guest

We board at Rosebrook farm in Georgetown . It is ten minutes from the traffic circle on rte. 1 in newburyport. The facility is only two years old and has wonderful stalls, a 200 x 100 coverall, a new outdoor as well. Cindy Wylie is a Grand Prix rider and trainer but she works really well with all levels of riders. I do not know if she has any room there because we heard talk of a couple new horses coming in. We have been there for a year now and really enjoy the people and the barn. She has a website quarterlinedressage.com

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

um, I think I might take back the "expensive" part of my first post.

Sons of the Wind is fairly reasonable compared to the place in Danvers. I guess it's just expensive *to me.*
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

You may want to head north to New Hampshire if price is a major factor. NH is generally less expensive than the north shore of MA and within the same driving distance since Newburyport is right on the line. There are several nice farms in the Kensington, NH area. Good dressage trainers in Madbury, NH are Annemarie & Barend Heilbron who own & operate Capstone Farm.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

You have a PM!

Keith is great ! funny and god instructor PLUS he judges so he can help keep ya on the path to sucess

I'll second Grandview and Jen Mahoney-Goland. I was just recently quite ill and could not ride OR visit my horse b/c I was in the hospital for over two months and I came back to a happy healthy horse who had been ridden 5 days a week by Jen. Jen is wonderful and very down to earth (not just for a horse person, but also in general) and a great person to work with. Grandview is does not have the snobby atmosphere that a lot of barns in the area have which I truly appreciate being a younger rider amongst "real adults." The board has gone up a bit, but so have the prices of hay and shavings and for the area it is quite reasonable for full board. Feel free to contact me or more "insider" info...