The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PVDA L Program B session Demo Riders Needed

I'm starting to put together a list of people who would like to be demo riders for the L program that will be held on March 15 & 16 at Wyndham Oaks Farm in Boyds Maryland. Training Level and 1st Level will go on the 15th and Second Level will go on the 16th. You will demonstrate the various movements from the test and some will ride a complete test.

*Raises Hand*
    I'll do it!

I could do both days, I have a 1st/2nd level horse and a horse at 3rd who could do the 2nd level stuff.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

I probably could do it. (I board right next door.)

Thanks I've sent both of you PM's

Hi--I was a demo rider for the first session, with Jeff Moore, at Training Level.

I can also do Training Level in March if that would help you. Rebecca

dryount@yahoo.com

Um...wait...

Dennis, did you notice who's teaching it?

Are we REALLY asking for it by volunteering to ride? I certainly had better be sure I don't ride poorly, because I would really be putting it on the line.

I am still game unless you think I would not be well-received. I promise I will shut up and ride...

Exclamation

Answer:
    "Session B: Gaits & Paces, Movements & Figures March 15-16, 2008. Taught by Janet Brown-Foy at Wyndham Oaks in Boyds, MD." [Ms. Brown-Foy is the suspected author of the "Performance Standards" proposal to which I have been outspokenly opposed.]

Well, Rebecca, we ought to know how the USDF vote goes by March. If I can't show at 3d level anymore (because I haven't racked up enought "points" in the past year I took off showing to train instead), it won't matter. It's doubtful that I'd re-join USDF. I'll just show my older mare at PVDA schooling shows, and I could join you in the young horse classes with my turning-5 year old mare.

What's wrong with the teacher...?
    True North Dressage

There is nothing "wrong" with the teacher that know of. We simply have a dramatic difference of opinion about the merits of the introduction of a new rule imposing "performance standards" that one must meet to be permitted to show above 2nd Level in recognized dressage shows, a proposal to which I have been outspokenly opposed but of which the teacher is a proponent (if not the author).

Absolutely NOTHING is wrong with the teacher. Nothing at all.

Have you been following the controversy concerning the proposed new USEF rule requiring qualifying criteria to be able to ride 3rd level and above at shows? Janet is one of the proponents of the rule change, and a big number of us (Dennis and myself included) have written strong letters opposing it.

So we will have to be sure and ride impeccably because we are absolutely putting ourselves out there. I am sure we will be judged fairly, but that includes giving 2s as well as 8s, I hope.

Since all the demos we participants saw in A session fell into that thrilling 5-6-7 category, we'd be over the moon about seeing some 2s as well as 8s. I hope you do decide to ride! It's a very good group of participants, if I may say so myself.

I wish I were more of a glutton for punishment for a training level demo, as the new horse and I would probably exhibit lots of "2s". I'm sure by March she and I would be much further along than where we are now (we've only had 3 rides so far), but I am admittedly, a giant weenie. Plus, it's a long haul from Nokesville to Wyndham Oaks and I'd have to beg, plead, and barter to find someone to trailer me. See, I can talk myself out of anything...is there a job out there that utilizes that particular skill? If so, I'm in the wrong business!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

dressagediosa, were you there in December in Clarksville, MD?

I didn't know you all were talking about scores that day. I thought I heard basically most of what Jeff said while I was riding and I thought it was more about biomechanics, not scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    Absolutely NOTHING is wrong with the teacher. Nothing at all.

Have you been following the controversy concerning the proposed new USEF rule requiring qualifying criteria to be able to ride 3rd level and above at shows? Janet is one of the proponents of the rule change, and a big number of us (Dennis and myself included) have written strong letters opposing it.

So we will have to be sure and ride impeccably because we are absolutely putting ourselves out there. I am sure we will be judged fairly, but that includes giving 2s as well as 8s, I hope.
    Ahhh.... gotcha. I didn't connect the name - I'm on tons of cold medicine right now
    True North Dressage

My mare and I could do training level.
    put┬Ěter - to busy or occupy oneself in a leisurely or casual manner; usually associated with any equine related activities.

I was, and most of the discussion was about the biomechanics of the gaits and of the movements, but we did discuss how faults in both came into play when considering a score. It was a really neat session, and I bet B will be even more interesting.