The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have you been "that" person?

You know, the one zooming around slightly out of control on a horse a wee bit too green/hot/crazy? Were you pretty sure that nobody watching thought you should be jumping anything above groundpoles? Did you school then show up and get Ed at something easy? Fence 1? The water? Did people show up to take bets on if you'd survive? Did anyone gasp at your round?

I think there's a big difference between being the one that made people gasp and having no clue and realizing you looked like a fool and being a bit embarased!

I'd schooled a few feet above the height I was entered in at a Spring show. Showed up and the horse went ballistic with the atmosphere so I scratched my higher class, spent most of the day circling or walking between tiny fences. Felt like a fool and rode horribly because I was being super defensive. Next show bopped around and horse napped between courses.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Jun. 27, 2008 at 05:51 PM.

What do you mean, "have been?"

I still are.

Reed

Me too.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

My advanced horse caused a few moments at times when he was coming up. For some reason he just didn't get the concept of neatly dinking off things and felt the need to take a flying leap off anything with a drop. Seeing how he was already going prelim/intermediate then, it had some entertainment factor there. He also had an issue with related distances, like he would leave at least 1 if not 2 out (yes I am the one that bounced the prelim 1 stride at Trojan I, and followed that the following weekend by bouncing the intermediate 2 stride at Trojan II). In my defense though I was never fast and out of control (I'm a chicken and hate going fast!) and we did it well, I was tight and his knees were in his eyeballs Finally got him to quit doing it for the most part at advanced (thank god!!!!), the drops took all the way through his first *** then he figured it out on course at the World Cup and never did it again (stange Irish horses).

My new guy is just......errrrr.......exuberant! I can attest to the fact that getting your horse going forward does not mean he can't still buck, actually just makes them a bit more dramatic at speed.

Me three. I have been the one that gets the comment 'nice job staying on'. My older horse is either a rockstar or eliminated. Never know which one I am going to get.

ugh.

yeah......i'm sure people were terrified of us at the ark in feb....it went like this.....spook at the ducks and never made it to fence one at an approach that allowed jumping..circle and jump, jump fence two, jump fence three, jump fence four at a big angle...i land in a head, think i have it back together...even tell the jump judges "we've got it now" and then proceed to have a refusal at the next jump...circle jump it fine...cross the street, jump the ditch, land in a heap and don't continue onto the log two strides out...circle, jump it fine, jump the next jump fine, then refuse the ditch and wall , which should have eliminated us but they told me to keep going... jump the double combo and then stop at the trakenher......then i decided for sure... we were done!

and... of course... i ride the big loud app so it's not like you can't NOT SEE me. so yeah... then i convince john williams to let me jump stadium and my stupid self has a stop at fence two.... yeah! good stuff..... doh!!

so then.... it happens again!! the second big E!! doh, but atleast this time it was just an issue getting in the water and i did NOT feel that we were the crazy scary people THIS time.....

sometimes it's nice to have a obvious horse and sometimes... you just want to crawl into a hole and claim "not mine"!

I had a warm up two weeks ago where I wouldn't make eye contact as I was certain someone was going to come talk to me as part of their new repsonsibility to call scary people out.

We decided to trot the BN cross country until my horse grew a brain- it actually went really well and we had a blast. At least at 19 my horse still knows how to have a good time.

I got E'd at fence four.

For four stops, I got her over all the second times

The new guy I've been given to ride (free lease! ) did a lot of prelim and some intermediate a few years ago before his owner went to vet school in Edinburgh. Since he was in serious need of a job and the mare I'd been eventing could've moved up to prelim only if liverpools were made illegal, I get to play with him now.

He needs a pretty experienced ride...with him, it's like toeing a very fine line. He gets exteremly strong, especially with anything under 3'9", but he hates pressure on his mouth (picture flinging his head up and down even with a mild bit - I'm ordering a martingale so he can actually SEE the jumps he's approaching), so you have to be as sparing as possible with the half halts. You can half halt every few strides until about 2 or 3 out, then you just have to ride him forward to the base and let him do his thing - if you half-halt too close to the fence, he decides you don't really want him to go. He goes best when you are super relaxed, which admittedly can be pretty difficult out on XC.

Luckily, he's a LOT better at events or jumper shows where all of the fences and the course are new. Repetition gets him very riled up, since he is under the impression that if he's seen it before, he doesn't really think and can thus just go flying around.

I've been working with him for about 4 months now and have only just entered an event with him - we could've easily gotten around earlier in the game, but it would've been ugly. At one of our jumping lessons I informed my trainer that "I refuse to be that person who makes everyone gasp during their round because it looks like they're going to crash and burn". Her response: "Yes, dear, I know."

It's entirely possible that when I get him to an event in a few weeks he'll revert to being a fire-breathing dragon (ah, those chestnut TBs!) who is totally deaf to my aids, but I have absolutely no problem retiring him if I don't feel like I have enough control to be safe. He is one who needs to be held facing backwards in the box, but he's much better once he's actually going. I am excited to see how he does in a few weeks!
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

I had people clearing the warmup arena at one show, surreptitiously asking my friend "Does she need more room?" to which my friend cheerfully replied, "Oh no, she's fine!" as we flew by. Thankfully we settled down (mostly) after that.

However, I still feel like "that" person on many days, lol! And FleckenAwesome, I feel your pain, since many of my "moments" lately have been on a bright golden Fabio-maned Haflinger capable of amazing spin-and-bolt maneuvers. Hard for people to miss the golden pony with 18 feet of mane flying across XC.

Ya, that's me. At my second event ever (and my OTTBs, lol, probably not the smartest decision but, it's all we had money for) at Greater Dayton, we put in an awesome dressage test to place in first with a 27.9 in BN, but then in stadium put in a horrific round. We over-jumped every jump, and it doesn't help that he sticks his tail straight up in the air over every fence. In the tape you can hear people going "Whee!!! Woah!" haha. The worst part was though, the last fence was a 2-stride, where he jumped in big, went waaaaayyyy to the right on the second fence, threw in a huge chip for a second stride, and just LAUNCHED over the second fence. I got way behind, then landed in front of the saddle with my leg parallel to the ground, he scooted away because I'm not in the right place in the tack, I somehow stayed on to make it past the finish line, stopped him, got myself repositioned and left the ring. It was a clear round, but definitely one I was not proud of. Ya, people told me "Good job staying on" but I was not pleased. It even put us in first place. Next day, went out and had an awesome x-c run and won.

Then last year at Lost Hounds I was in our first Novice, again won the dressage with a 21.0, then went to stadium and proceeded to ride the crappiest I've ever ridden. We got way too close to every jumped and launched over them, until my horse finally got sick of my crap and put on the brakes, it wasn't really even dirty, but I went off over his head. It was a pretty soft landing considering I landed sitting on the jump facing him. He just stood there looking at me like "What are you doing there?". Of course, with the new rule I got the big E, which, I ashamedly admit was sort of a relief for me because XC was scaring the $h!t out of me. Although I was kinda disappointed, because most of the time the show photographer takes a sequence of the fall, but not for me. I sort of wanted to see those pics, but alas, they are all of me ON the horse. Here's some proof of how bad it was.http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/g/borderbeckylh

We haven't had a chance to redeem ourselves yet since he hurt his suspensory before out next go, but I'm excited to have another go at it. It'll be this fall or maybe next spring before we try again, because I want to be sure I'm ready this time, so we don't have anymore scary rounds.

ETA: Yes, TBKate and FleckenAwesome, I, too feel your pain. Although not quite as stand out as your horses, my gray guy attracts some attention and has a unique style anyway, so sometimes it's cute attention when we're just standing, but when I go to stadium, I just wish there was no one there.
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

yes ive cleared the dressage warm up with my advanced horse...one time i was just being a spectator, since all my horses were either retired or someone else was riding them, i was watching someone on x-c and they kept leaving strides out and i kept on gasping, while one of my freinds that was standing next to me turned and said what are you gasping at? thats what you looked like all the time on x-c...(thats on the horse that i cleared the dressage warmup with) oh well he was safe(sort of) and he always took care of me...i really don't like being oh your that crazy girl on that crazy horse...not a good rep oh well what can ya do?.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckertoo View Post
    Here's some proof of how bad it was.http://brantgamma.exposuremanager.com/g/borderbeckylh
    It may have been bad, but that is a NICE looking horse you've got under you!
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

I have definitely felt like I have been "that" person. My horses have had various degress of sainthood. What annoys me is that some people seem to think that people like me take their horse's for granted. I shove treats in my horse's face and thank him all the time for putting up with some of my riding. I try really hard, but what can I say?...definitely not pro material right here folks . Sonny only goes as good as I ride him so I am not going to go clear if I am completely and utterly riding like crap, but he makes up for some of mistakes for sure!
    T3DE Pact

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Weber View Post
    It may have been bad, but that is a NICE looking horse you've got under you!
    Aww, thanks! Ya, he's a pretty special guy. He tries to put up with my crap, and most of the time he does, but at Lost Hounds he'd had it, since I had been doing the same thing in warm-up. I don't blame him for stopping. Alas, if only I could give him as good a ride as he deserves.
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

Yeppp.
    Took a horse that was a month u/s to his first BN horse trial.
    Dressage....very brave as the letters on the outside of the ring were falling over and flying off.
    Then we went out XC....b4 he even came out of the start box he had his eye on the first fence (12 strides out) I proceeded to beat him to the first fence where he climbed it and I got left wayyy behind but we kept going. Had a few fences like that including the water (his 2nd time seeing water).....I clucked, kissed, and "Good Boyed" the whole way. (It was a very amusing scene for the jump judges who all smiled and chuckled when they heard "GITTTT, GRRRR<, GIITTTT, oh sh!t...GOOD BOYYYY" haha
    Came back the next day for stadium where he went with 2 rails to finish 4th at his first HT in an open division.
    If I remember correctly, witnesses to my coach quote her covering her eyes, cursing loudly whenever she saw us approaching a fence...but then wopping and hollaring when he didn't refuse and I was still in the tack after the fence.
    Oh the joys of riding green beans. =]

haha, yes ofcourse I have been "that" person: gotten the "E" and have had some interesting situations resulting from usually a lack in concentration (momentary day-dreaming on XC) that have gotten me 20 penalites. AND, I have almost gone offcourse in stadium, I think 3 times? Once, I actually succeeded in getting the E from skipping a fence. But honestly, I consider myself a basically *safe* rider, although people may sometimes what the hell is going on in my mind

Oh, and if you think you are that bad of a rider, check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw_jAd6X1LY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_cNgdG-SVY
    Mixed in with the dressage footage shown, these videos are inadvertantly very strong propoganda against competing in eventing and instead taking up dressage

yup. And I am not proud of it.

At Spring Run...I did not relize it until after the fact, but I was that person who went to fast and fell off because of it...

This weekend at midsouth..I am that person with a 49% dressage score and in dead last...

sigh...
    Team Awesome fo sho!