The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Conformation pic... what do you think?

Here is do.. holding my breath!
    This is a mare I want. 3 yo. Looking for a lower level dressage and maybe do some jumping 'later' down the rode.
    Price is right and I think she is SO neat looking.. but what am I overlooking??

Okay.. hit me with it...

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Hjem/graymare/

I think she's cute, too!

I am not "confident" in my conformational assessment skills; so I'll leave that to others! :-)
    Ashley Moore
    North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine -- Class of 2011

Looks like she'll make a great lower level dressage horse. There's more that I like about her versus what I don't. Looks like her throatlatch is a bit on the thick side, and where her neck meets her chest isn't as defined as it should be. Over all, she looks like a cute prospect.

She’s cute, but I would not say she is a natural choice for dressage. Her thick neck and throatlatch may make it hard for her to round up. She also looks very young. How old is she?

edited to add, I see you say she is three. I have to admit, I am not crazy about her. I think you're being swayed by her cuteness. I'm trying to be the voice of reason. But she is seriously cute.

I think for what you want to do she'll be great

Only thing that first strikes me is her legs look a little light for her body. BUT she is three and things change.

As for the thick neck and throatlatch I wouldn't worry too much, my guy has a thick throatlatch too and rounds up just fine. Plus what you'll find is with correct riding she'll get a better top line which will make her neck look better.

Good luck with her
    I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

what is her breeding?
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

the neck/chest look a lot like my horse's, from those pics.

It does make him a little heavy at times, but all in all he is quite capable of carrying himself nicely if you work at it a bit.

Not a dressage expert here but since it doesn't sound like you aspire to really high levels, I don't think she'd be incapable.

But I am partial to super fuzzy greys with baby faces like that, seeing as I have one, LOL
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

In my opinion, it is impossible to do a conformation critique from those photos.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

I mostly agree with hitchi.
    From what I see, she may camp out a bit? At least it looks like it in the first photo.
    Don't really like how the neck ties into the chest
    Seems to be a lot of horse in front.
    All things that will make collection more difficult.
    She does not scream dressage to me.

However, you are looking for lower level, it's mostly about attitude, right? And she ranks way up on the cute-o-meter....
    Truly, though, really hard to tell from the pics.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Straight in the shoulder, heavy bodied on light legs and small looking feet, small hind quarter compared to the front end, and since she's three, she probably is going to bulk up quite a bit yet so the heavy body-light leg look may increase. If you don't like these comments, the comments are directed at two tiny photos taken at odd angles.....they wouldn't show most horses to a good advantage. I think more of a family horse and pet, but better photos or even better, seeing the horse in the flesh and watching it move, seeing its dam and sire and some full siblings at different ages, might give a different impression.

Default Interesting

She looks to be of the baroque breeds.

I think she'll be fine for what you have in mind.
    The Baroques are naturally built this way and can excell at higher levels.
    Cute from what I can see.

Better pictures would help more.

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    She looks to be of the baroque breeds.
    I don't think she looks baroque, but draft. Many people mix them up because of color. Is she a shire cross? She is heavy in front but isn't terribly downhill at the moment - which is good. I do worry about her bone. From my experience, the heavier horses develope in their legs first then fill out so I'd say it's iffy as to whether or not her legs will be strong enough for the big body.

I say look at how she moves. Is she heavy heavy on the forehand? Can she get some air time? How is her canter? If she can pick up canter with ease, that's a good sign.

If you're talking about stopping at First Level, then I wouldn't worry too much. You may struggle with counter canter but if you can hit your marks, and she's easy going, then you can still do well. If she's the personality you want, then go for it.

Default Upon for impression

My knee jerk was draft cross too Elegante. Color wasn't what swayed me...it was the lack of bone that you would see in a draft or draft cross. I also thought Percheron..or even Spanish Norman...but the lack of bone said no to me.....
    However, you will see that in baroques.

Plus the low neck tie in/heavy thick neck and short coupling.
    I was thinking an Andi cross with something. Hopefully Arabian with the bone density.

But none the less whatever this cutie may be...looks just fine for lower levels. I think we can all come to that conclusion. Most horses can do the lower levels.

I wonder if the thickness of neck/throatlatch that some are seeing is actually a hairy, winter coat on a neck. I noticed my mare is getting rather hairy lately and her refined neck/throatlatch is looking a bit heavy looking....time for an update clip job.

I personally like this mare enough to get a better look.

If she's sound and the price is right I see no reason not to go for her.
    Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!

I agree with both Hitch and SLC.

These pictures are far from ideal for a conformation analysis...but, given what we've got...

I see a heavy front end and a weak looking hind end. If she's a draft cross (which is my guess), I think she will get HEAVIER looking as she ages. There is something I don't like about her hind end that I can't quite put my finger on, but it looks weak to me. Some of it is that she seems to have awfully small limbs and joints for such a big body. Reminds me of a lovely kind horse I knew who had back/back-end/stifle problems that were never fixable.

She's very cute... but unless the pictures are misleading, I'd pass. Sorry.

What's her breeding? I agree that she is very cute. I have an andalusian cross who looks very similar. We are teaching him to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Straight in the shoulder, heavy bodied on light legs and small looking feet, small hind quarter compared to the front end, and since she's three, she probably is going to bulk up quite a bit yet so the heavy body-light leg look may increase. If you don't like these comments, the comments are directed at two tiny photos taken at odd angles.....they wouldn't show most horses to a good advantage. I think more of a family horse and pet, but better photos or even better, seeing the horse in the flesh and watching it move, seeing its dam and sire and some full siblings at different ages, might give a different impression.
    I agree with Slicky.

She looks like a cute horse, if you want a cute horse, but there is nothing about her that recommends her to me particularly as a dressage prospect. Any horse, good bad or indifferent, ugly, small or a pulling draft horse can go well (better, good, enjoy) lower level dressage, and probably all horses 'should' have that as their foundation training. But that's my opinion.

Conformation? This is a poorly conformed horse, period. Buy her if you like her. If you are looking for good conformation, move on.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

She is a 3 yo and gotten off a farm in Nevada that raises Mustangs.. she is not a BLM, no brand. So, she is a mutt! LOL
    She is only $600

These are the only pics I have right now.. these are the ones they emailed me.

Okay.. I have to get pics of my Spanish Mustang for you guys to look at..
    pics may stink again! LOL

Admitted, the pix are not ideal for the purpose, especially with that other horse confusing the topline! But by a casual look, I see a neck that ties in very low. Baroque build. You have mustangs already so I expect you know about the danger of cushings/founder issues with the spanish-blood breeds.
    She has what I'd consider to be a 'cushings-tendency looking' neck, (a technical term, NOT! ) and on that alone, I'd probably pass on her...unless I could keep her on drylot her entire life and control her feed very carefully. I don't like to have to micromanage horses that much so I stay away from loaded looking shoulders/massive necks.

I would only go to that level of micromanagement for a really splendid baroque horse like a Lipp 'trained by the sire' or a Lusitano or Andy the same, with loads of natural talent (and bone). This horse is only $600 bucks TO BUY, but if she turns out cushing, it's going to cost you and cost you and cost you and cost you and.......

just my .02