The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's the same person. I took lessons with her here in Florida during the same time frame- I believe she had a different last name at that time. I loved working with her.

Quote Originally Posted by veezee View Post
    If this is the same Britta Johnson, I rode with her in Mississippi thirteen or fourteen years ago. I believe she lived in Florida at that time. She was a young and very talented rider and instructor. Have fun an enjoy your lessons.

Default Britta Johnston is the new owner of Mountain Vista Farm in Amissville, VA

Here is the link to Britta's new farm. She is training horses and riders from all over. She is also giving clinics at different farms in the Northern VA area and has students fly in from all over the world to learn from her. I highly recommend going out to meet her, bring your horse out for a lesson, or take a lesson with one of her talented horses. You will most definitely learn from Britta. She is extremely knowledgeable and has a unique way of teaching to really help you feel and understand what you are doing and why. All I can say is, go for it, you can't go wrong.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Britt...6751?ref=br_tf

Britta recently started coming monthly to the farm where I board my horse. I had heard the part she wanted "fit riders". So I was reluctant to take a lesson but I tried anyway. She did not say anything about my fitness. She was pleasant and helpful, I have only taken the one lesson so far. So, I don't have a good feel for her training style yet.

There are better choices in that area than Britta.

3 members found this post helpful.

bumping this thread as I am scheduled to take a first lesson with Britta in about 10 days. I am an eventer and have two young warmbloods that are getting out and about.

I cannot believe that I had no idea about Britta until recently. I have been trailering an hour or so to lessons, either to an U/L Eventer/superb dressage trainer, or to a dressage trainer who is well known in the area. The former was great but I really do not need to trailer 1 1/2 hours if there are closer options, and the latter did not provide the time that my 2* horse needed so that was dicouraging (warming up and talking for 10 minutes with a remaining 35 min lesson does not work for a horse that is U/L Eventing fit). The comment that Britta wants students who are fit hopefully applies to horses that are fit as well...

So Britta is less than 20 minutes from my farm and I am hoping, crossing all digits, that we get along well. If it does, I will be trailering to her twice monthly with two horses and it should be a long term commitment! I also go on vacation and would love to leave horses for training with her while I am away. I have taken them to an eventer further away, but 10 days of pure dressage would be divine, and actually preferred.

I event and ride with her as much as I can (she comes to the neighborhood arena I trailer to). She focuses more on the basics and creating the strength/movement/carriage/transitions than some trainers who focus more on the tests/competition prep. I think she is good for event-type horses because she likes forward and high energy, and helps you channel that extra energy/tension that sometimes come with fitness.

FWIW I haven't heard her say anything derogatory about the physical fitness of horses/riders at the lessons I've seen. I do think she prefers a devotion level that is hard for some amateurs to reach (at my lesson location, only a few can take the whole day off to audit the full day of lessons, for instance, and some who do are answering work emails on their phones . . .), but I think most working amateurs are used to that struggle.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    I event and ride with her as much as I can (she comes to the neighborhood arena I trailer to). She focuses more on the basics and creating the strength/movement/carriage/transitions than some trainers who focus more on the tests/competition prep. I think she is good for event-type horses because she likes forward and high energy, and helps you channel that extra energy/tension that sometimes come with fitness.

FWIW I haven't heard her say anything derogatory about the physical fitness of horses/riders at the lessons I've seen. I do think she prefers a devotion level that is hard for some amateurs to reach (at my lesson location, only a few can take the whole day off to audit the full day of lessons, for instance, and some who do are answering work emails on their phones . . .), but I think most working amateurs are used to that struggle.
    I think this is a pretty good summary
    I've really enjoyed my time riding with Britta and it's pretty obvious I've improved from my lessons. She does expect her students to put forth effort but I don't think that's unreasonable expectation. I highly recommend getting in lessons on her schoolmaster, Rio.

1 members found this post helpful.

great feedback and I am really looking forward to meeting her. I do work very hard, and try very hard to focus during lessons so I am hoping that means we are compatible. I will post here after our first lesson April 16!

I used to ride with Britta and I learned alot with her. I found her to expect a person to work hard but she liked working with all of my horses, including a cranky, old, Tb gelding. I really liked working with her.

Another positive review from me! I've been riding with her weekly (for the most part) since the fall. I also event and have a very hot, sensitive mare. Britta loves her for who she is and we have definitely seen big improvement in our gaits and movements.

I don't think she is someone who would give anyone a hard time for being less than perfectly fit, but she definitely pushes you hard to do your best and get the best from your horse. If you have a physical limitation, you should tell her at the beginning and she will be aware of it throughout the lesson. I really looked a long time to find someone who knows what they are doing in the area. She understands biomechanics and how to build a horse and rider in a forward connected way. Three thumbs up!
    TPR!
    Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
    www.goodhorse.org

1 members found this post helpful.