The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default In memory of Susan Sweet, Montgomery County MD horsewoman

Susan Sweet a longtime horsewoman of Montgomery County, MD, died last week because of undiagnosed advanced stage breast cancer. She was a valued, well known, and longtime member of our Maryland equestrian community. Many know her from transporting their horses over the years to horse shows, new farms, and for trail rides. Many horse breeders and owners also know her from transporting their mares for breeding, or transporting the yearlings and other horses for sale at the thoroughbred and other auctions, and picking up the new show, pleasure or perhaps race horse that was bought. Susan also ran a retirement farm for many horses in Poolesville, Maryland. In her younger years she served as a vet tech for Chet Anderson of Peachtree Veterinary in Darnestown, Maryland. She also showed in Western classes at the Washington International Horseshow when they included such classes. She was one who could get any horse on a trailer, despite her size--she was only about 5' 2". When you got to chatting with her, she had many humorous tales to tell. She was also an avid Dick Francis fan.

There will be a memorial service for her on January 12, although details have not yet been worked out.

Please include any memories you have of her, and we will try to pass them on for the service.

It is very sad.

I didn't know her very well at all, but I am one of I am sure thousands who saw her get difficult horses onto her trailer at my farm in Glenelg. She also transported for students of mine from time to time and I was always SO impressed with the class that was apparent in what she did with horses.

Are there horses of hers that need to be taken care of? My email is dryount@yahoo.com and I will help however I can.

Default Susan Sweet

She only trailered my horses a few times, but was a consumate professional both with the horses and on the road. I remember her skillfully negotiating around some obnoxious drivers on the D.C. beltway with my horse in tow. She was always the first person I would recommend when anyone asked about haulers.
    RIP, Susan.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    I didn't know her very well at all, but I am one of I am sure thousands who saw her get difficult horses onto her trailer at my farm in Glenelg. She also transported for students of mine from time to time and I was always SO impressed with the class that was apparent in what she did with horses.

Are there horses of hers that need to be taken care of? My email is dryount@yahoo.com and I will help however I can.

Please add my name to the list if help is needed. I am just minutes down the road from her place and can help in the evenings if needed. Just PM me.

My understanding is that her horses and dog have already been rehomed. . .

Juliet,
    Thank you for posting. I am very sad to hear the news. Sue had trailered for us many times, and she was someone I really trusted with the horses. I had a lot of respect for her. What a great lady.

I used Susan every year for about 6 years, for numerous shows, clinics or just moving my horse in general. She even brought my horse up from TN 4 years ago - only person I would trust to do it. She was always a sensible person when it came to not only horse behavior, but trailering in general - had tons of common sense and really put you at ease for the safety of your horses. We had several conversations that would start out about setting up a show schedule for trailering and would end up talking about who knows what 45-60 minutes later.

I was saddened to hear of her diagnosis and hospital transport and am beyond words at the news of her death.

I met Susan when she shipped a horse for us several years ago. She was such a unique character and so memorable that when I saw this thread, I had to post. It is very sad to hear that she has died and made even worse to know that her cancer was never diagnosed.
    My heartfelt condolences to her family and friends.

Default Animals rehomed and taken care of

The horses at Susan's farm and her animals have been rehome. She had one friend/border who orchestrated everything and really stepped up to the plate and made sure that the animals were safe, which would have been Susan's first concern. Thanks to anyone who is offering. The horse community in Montgomery County Maryland is special.

Here is a story of one of Susan's remarks during a hauling job- she was hauling two horses for a friend of mine and for me to the 06 VADA/NoVa championship show at Morven Park from MD. We had to cross the Potomac at Point of Rocks- there is a sharp turn on the way there and there were two trucks who waited back a bit for her to manuever the rig in the turn. When we got to Morven Park, she was all excited- she had heard the truckers talking to one another about her over the CB radio apparently and commenting on how well she had handled the rig and the turn. Susan was rightly proud of how she did her work and always did a great job for us. We will miss her....please do let everyone know when the memorial service is all set.

Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet

Susan Sweet Memorial information -- this was posted on the Equiery website:

"The family of Susan O. Sweet have requested that friends and colleagues gather to share reminicsences of Susan's life on Saturday, January 12, from 2 - 5, at the Legacy Hotel (formerly the Ramada Inn), 1775 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD, 301-881-2300"

Default Remembering Susan

Susan trailered my horse to Leesburg once a month for about six months this past year. She was always so punctual- I could set my watch to her arrival. I rode in her truck with her and enjoyed our conversations and the opportunity to get to know her. She was a delightful person- honest, direct, and true to herself. I got to learn about her interests, her family backgound, the many dogs and horses she had in her life. I enjoyed and valued the little bit of time we spent together. I am so shocked and saddened to hear this news.