The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Event/Dressage stallion suggestions...

Okay, my one mare is set with a date, but the other we are still on the fence with whether to rebreed in 2008. She is a large boned TB mare, closely related to Robert Costello's Advanced Eventer Wild Delight. JC info is here http://www.pedigreequery.com/mean+irene2

She is intended to be my husbands hunt horse, very athletic, brave, and a safe and sensible ride. When we got her, she was already in foal to an unknown (to me) APHA stallion, and we already have this foal sold (knocks wood...).

At some point down the line, we do want to breed her for either an eventer or dressage prospect. She is a bit long in the back, and doesn't have the prettiest head (kind eye, but kind of homely). She is very much a dressage type mover, forward, upright, and elastic.

Anyway, here are some pictures (not me riding):
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=miatrot2.jpg
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...nt=Miatrot.jpg
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...nt=miajump.jpg
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...rrent=mia1.jpg (she is NOT butt high in the least, angle of the photo/hill here)

Would love some suggestions for her...

Take a Look at Landfriese II @ www.landfriese.com He has eventers still in Holland. Jumpers and Top Dressage offspring overseas Yet.. And The National Hunter champion here...

Default Event / Dressage Stallions

You might want to take a look at Gaelic Opposition. 2008 will be his first year breeding. He is short backed, extremely athletic and has amazing pedigree. You can see him in the recent issue of Eventing in the Future Event Horse article (he was the 2 year old Colt/Geld Champion) and also in the January issue of Pratical Horsemen (he is used in an article there that shows what to look for in conformation. He has many siblings at the 3 & 4 star level, not to mention his sire was also a Grand Prix dressage horse.
    More information can be found on the website below.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just to add, I do want PROVEN (offspring) on the ground, proven under saddle, and approval to WB registry, preferably BWP. Otherwise I'd use my colt

Opposition is lovely, def. one to keep an eye on for the future.

There is frozen available from Adamant. Sally Cousins has a couple of his kids going now, and in the past several have gone and won at intermediate three day, been area champions etc. Contact Tasker on this board if you want more info. He was/is a very well known stallion here in area 2, who evented and also was long listed for the Pan Ams in dressage.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Puerto d'Azur has upper level event offspring on the ground!

www.spindletopfarm.net

I vote to go with your colt.

Megan

Quote Originally Posted by gillenwaterfarm View Post
    I vote to go with your colt.

If he passes next year (oh wait, THIS year!!!), she will go to him at some point. Until then...we can only afford to keep one "illegitamate" foal right now

Can't say anyone specific, but with your mare I'd want something that passes on a good, sloping shoulder and more length in the hip.

InstigatorKate, I'm not so sure that picture is doing her justice. The conformation picture shows a shadow that makes her shoulder appear straight. In actuality it has a nice angle, I think?? Not sure about the hip, that isn't my strong point in judging.

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...iass200311.jpg Here is another image to give you another look at the shoulder. But this one makes her back look ungodly long. One can't win with confo shots when I am taking the picture!!

Regulus - has a number of eventers currently competing with Amateurs, as well as with professionals (through Prelim) - has also produced quality dressage horses ( oldest one will compete at GP in 08) - is approved AWR. He puts excellent necks/heads on his offspring, athletic movers and jumpers. I have ridden 5 of his offspring, in addition to the 3 I own.

He is standing at www.dreamtimefarm.com in Lexington, KY -

Best of Luck -

Elly
    Last edited by elly; Jan. 2, 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Spelling, what can I say !

Innkeeper comes to mind when I look at this mare. Salute The Truth is another. Both stallions have great shoulders, short backs, and can do the job; plus having offspring doing the job.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Default suggestion

Lotus T is Holsteiner approved. He was named the best young event sire by the USEA magazine in an article. This was based on his superior gaits, jumping ability and the fact that he is 70% TB..... Lotus is proven, the offspring is already under saddle and competing and he is also BWP approved (besides Holsteiner and RPSI). www.prairiepinesfarm.com

If you're willing to consider frozen semen, look at www.emcostallionservices.com. There are several stallions there that could be a good match for your mare, and almost all are either proven themselves and/or have proven youngstock. There are three stallions who had 4* eventers in 2008 -- Fleetwater Opposition (the sire of Gaelic Opposition, mentioned earlier in this thread), Catherston Dazzler, and Jumbo.

Windfall crosses best with TB mares or mares that have a lot of Tb in them. So I vote for Windfall.
    Dr. Baird's law:
    In a voluntary organization, the amount of criticism one receives is directly proportional to the amount of work done and it emanates from those who do the very least.

There is an absolutely lovely Windfall baby at my barn, she's delicious!

I'm becoming a huge fan of Ariadus, who I will most likely choose this year.

Go peek at Denny's new Formula 1 video, he's looking amazing!

Okggo,

I'll second Oakmonts recommendation the emco stallion Jumbo for this mare.

You know I'm partial to Irish Draughts, and he is a halfbred by Skippy RID out of a TB mare.

Pedigree:

Sire:Skippy RID was Grade A in show jumping, and produced many other proven performers. He also seems to produce horses that outproduce themselves. Skippy sired the one time NA stallion Banks Fee Daniel RID, and can also be seen in the pedigree of the NA stallion Snowford Bellman, through his dam Snowford Harebell. Skippy also has producing progeny in Ireland, and at first glance at just the RID's, they have produced progeny earning thousands of SJAI and EI points.

Dam Sire: the TB stallion Final Problem, who still has progeny listed in the IHB studbook as earning 1899 SJAI points.

Jumbo a proven performance horse, has a pedigree to back him up, and is proven to produce it out of a WIDE variety of mares. He sired Headley Britanica, the winner of Badmiton 2007 and Burghley in 2006, plus many other finishers at the upper levels of eventing. He appears to throw a strong hip, and stamps his progeny with a mirror image jumping style. I'd caution a guess that he throws an incredible mind to go with that talent, as most of his progeny aren't in the barns of professional riders.

Just my opinion, of course.
    Megan

There isn't much frozen left on Jumbo--if you're interested in him I wouldn't dally. I know this because I bought some for my mare!

Default Event / Dressage Stallions

I would definately second, Jumbo, Catherston Dazzler & Fleetwater Opposition!!

More than enough proven progeny on the ground for decades!!