The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Rider Medals -- Should you be able to double, triple, etc.?

I was just wondering about the medal program. How about letting people get more than one bronze, silver, or gold? What if people wanted to get more medals, and make them get them on different horses? Or how about horses getting the medals instead of the riders??? They can have performance awards, but wouldn't the medals sound better?

Just a thought on a boring New Year's Eve day.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I am not familiar with the US medal program but I have many gold, silver and bronze for both me and the horse. If I put them all around my neck I would not be able to walk.

Many breed organizations awards medals (and other awards) to the horse so are you stating the athletic governing body should do the same?

in most affilliated classes horse has points added to his card
    stays with him throughout his career and the rider change during that time

dunno what you mean unless low keyed stuff
    here in uk we do many clases and various things
    from p/c acitvities r/c club activities indvidual activities
    scope/ jas, jump cross le trac . h/t open pre intro .jump x challenge 1day eventing 2 day eventing 3dayeventing dressage show jumping mounted games adults and juniors etc so many different things then lots of lowe keyed shows to have allsorts of classes ranging from riding horse working hunter horse/pony f/r l/r handy pony showjumping classes, scurry,top score
    chase me charlie 7 barrels and other gymkhana games
    each class wins either a cup -- or medal or throphy rest get rossette 1st prize might have money vocucher or feeds, or rug whatever
    dunno what you do

Okay, let me clarify, I was talking about the USDF medal programs.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I'd be intrigued by a program like Dressage Canada's 8 award, for 10 (or however many) scores of 8+ on rider. I don't know the exact details of the program, but it's cool.

Maybe some sort of medal system for X scores at 65%+ at the same levels, like a Silver Medal Plus or something? But I've only got room for so much bling on my lapel.

explain not in usa in uk

Quote Originally Posted by ~Freedom~ View Post
    I am not familiar with the US medal program but I have many gold, silver and bronze for both me and the horse. If I put them all around my neck I would not be able to walk.
    I find this somewhat unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    I find this somewhat unbelievable.
    Lets see as I bring them all out.

ME

Gold year end awards I believe it was medium ( writing not on the medal)
    Bronze medium year end awards
    Gold I 1
    Another Gold for FEI but can't be sure if it is I1 or I2
    Bronze GP

Horse

Gold 4
    Silver 3
    Bronze 4

And one Gold for a non equestrian sport.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

I think the award for freestyle allows the addition of Bars for more points? I think it is a good idea to be able to add to the medal program for numbers of achievements. Like stripes to the uniform, or badges in scouts. Great idea!

coud someone give a quick rundown of the medal program for those of us that do not know it?

thanks!!
    "Energy efficient vehicle. Runs on grass and oats. CAUTION: Avoid exhaust!"
    I think we should eat trolls.
    Troll meat. Now that's good eatin'.
    by Hiddenlake

Bronze: scores of 60% or above, two scores at each level- 1st, 2nd & 3rd
    Silver: scores of 60% or above, two scores at each level- 4th & PSG
    Gold: scores of 60% or above, two scores at each level Intermediare (I &/or II) & Grand Prix

It's a RIDER award, so scores can be earned over time and on one or multiple horses.

And there are more details on the horse performance awards on www.usdf.org
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

How about changing the medal program and having it be that you get one only on the same horse?

I'm sure that will go over out here like a lead bottomed balloon. But seriously, why not qualify for your bronze on one horse through those levels. Then you can either go on for the next medal with either the same horse and qualify on all the required levels for it, or just do them with another horse? Each time you do that with a horse, you both get some sort of medal.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    But seriously, why not qualify for your bronze on one horse through those levels. Then you can either go on for the next medal with either the same horse and qualify on all the required levels for it, or just do them with another horse? Each time you do that with a horse, you both get some sort of medal.
    If you get ALL your medals on one horse, how about a Platinum Medal?

I think that's a great idea (plat medal).

I also like the idea of muli-medaling, but if the new proposal goes into affect with it's 20points nonsense then nevermind multiple medals.

That was sort of what I was thinking. I mean, it might be better and mean more if instead of applying the point system, they look at another option using their current awards program. Why not this way instead? Wouldn't it make it easier to tell the posers from those who can really ride and train? I mean, wouldn't multiple medals separate them out better? And couldn't they also tie this to the selection process as well? (If they have a sort of tie and want to know who might make a better team rider.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Default usdf medals

I think the whole idea of "medals" is ridiculous. I see so many ads for "pros" proclaiming their expertise by winning a medal. I know way too many less than amateur riders with a rich husband who got themselves some old saintly schoolmaster and stumbled through a grand prix test under just the right sight challenged judge twice an voila! they are a gold medal winner. One person I know has never actually trained a horse or bothered to ride lower level. Now she's a trainer with "gold medal winner" on her resume. What's the point anyway Getting over 60% is not exactly a feat . I'm not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    How about changing the medal program and having it be that you get one only on the same horse?

I'm sure that will go over out here like a lead bottomed balloon. But seriously, why not qualify for your bronze on one horse through those levels. Then you can either go on for the next medal with either the same horse and qualify on all the required levels for it, or just do them with another horse? Each time you do that with a horse, you both get some sort of medal.

I think it might be nice to give brownie points of some sort if it's on the same horse, but people lose thier rides for all kinds of reasons... horse dies, gets sold, goes lame, can't do changes, etc.
    Jill
    www.eurofoal.homestead.com
    European bloodlines made in America