The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As I know LJ, and I have seen this horse go...

I will give you a little more info on her.

The mare is intended for low level dressage (up to 1st Level in several years) and low, local showing in either the hunter or jumper ring. NOT A rated shows. Those of you in the PNW, think Lake Washington Saddle Club Fun shows. The mare has some knee action, more than is desired in hunters, but not so much that she looks rediculous for dressage. She is kind, sweet and forgiving of a novice, and packed LJ's daughter around a 2'6" course and a 3' grid on the first two trial rides. (BTW, 3' was the highest daughter has jumped, AND they did it safely).

Mare has decent feet (in the picture you can see that, although half the polish has worn off to give her crazy small looking hooves). She was bred once and has a yearling at the time of these pictures. Her sire, a bulldog-type QH, added the heft to her frame.

LJ, good luck on Friday!

She reminds me quite a bit of my mare as far as balance and proportions. You will face some challenges with the heavier front end, but a good trainer should be able to teach you to work with her to get the best out of her.

My mare is certainly no WB, but with the right riding is a very nice looking mare. When ridden well, she looks like a completely different horse, as in I have had people who know her ask who she was when my old trainer would ride her. If she really has a powerful hind end, she should do just fine for you.

And the small feet/upright shoulder/heavy front end means nothing in terms of soundness. I've not had any issues with soundness with my mare, even when in hard work, and she is quite heavy through the front end. The difficulty with collection comment is also BS IMO. My mare has a lot of natural collection. Extension is her issue, though I suspect I could help her out a lot more with that.

If you like her, I think she will be perfectly suitable for your intentions. Does she look like a mare who will be jumping 5'? No. Does she look like a competitive 4th level horse? No. A good all-around lower-level horse for you to enjoy? Sure, if the personality and soundness are also there.

I think it would have been fun to post this pic and not identify the breed
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Well I think she will be fine for lower level dressage and some jumping, but if you decide to do more with her, than you might want to re-evaluate her and what you are looking for? She looks like the perfect low level horse to me? I say if the price is right and you really click with her go for it!
    Most important Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by costco_muffins View Post
    Her sire, a bulldog-type QH, added the heft to her frame.
    I would take a good hard look at her pedigree. If there is any suspicion of her HYPP status, have a DNA test done.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

There is no Impressive blood in her that we can find... Sire is "The Black Bomber", and is King bred top and bottom.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/the+black+bomber