The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Valentina_32926 View Post
    Don't know - I called on the phone plus had them send some boots to verify size (I couldn't get them zipped up). Lady was VERY nice but as long as you provided a phone number I'm betting you'll be called if they have any questions.
    Thanks I did end up shooting off an email to them yesterday with my phone number ect and told them to call me with any questions. I can not wait to get my boots

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My dress boots are Vogels and they are now going on 20yo and look almost new. Granted, since I stopped actively showing almost 10 years ago they have been infrequently worn, but when I did wear them it was 3-5 days a week. The leather is in great shape and I had zippers added up the back seam about 5 years ago and they did a great job.

My paddock boots are Dehners and they have worn like iron! These boots get worn nearly every day and I am on my 3rd pair in 15 years. I can't vouch for their dress boots, but I believe the workmanship would be the same.

I vote "NO" for Konigs - a bunch of us boarders gifted our trainer years ago with a pair (his choice) and they never fit him right. Sending them back for alteration didn't help.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I got my first pair of Dehners at 18 (which is some years ago now ) and since then have had several pairs of Dehners, Vogels, and Petris for various purposes. Just some observations:

1. Vogels are exquisite, but part of the reason for that is that they tend to be made of thinner, finer leather than the other boots. Hence they do wear out more quickly.
    2. I like my Petris and think they look attractive, but I just don't get the precision of movement with them. Not being custom, they don't fit as closely through the ankle as custom boots, and the thick, stiff, lined leather prevents the ankle from folding in closely and supportively there.
    3. The best compromise situation I've found is to order Dehners fully lined for some stiffness, but without a plastic stiffener in the back. That way they can be worn comfortably to walk in, to hunt or do over-fences classes, and still have enough firmness to hold their shape and do dressage. Mine last for many years.
    4. After lots of conversations with bootmakers in most of the big companies, they're in agreement that most custom boot-fitting dissatisfaction comes from customers who don't get themselves measured by a competent and experienced person (or worse, try to measure themselves) and/or change their shape after the measurement via changes in diet, exercise patterns, or choice of breeches and socks. For some women, we even have to be careful about what time of the month we are measured if we retain a lot of fluid--that can change the diameter of the calves and ankles significantly.