The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybobby View Post
    normal jockey...little man syndrome......needed to be ruled off for life 15 years ago !!!!!!
    That is rude and uncalled for. It makes me wonder what issues bobbybobby has.

I used to know PVal in a distant sort of way - I worked at a bank in Arcadia in the early '90's and chatted with him regularly. It's been a lot of years but that was the peak of his career and he did not have "little man syndrome" - he was humble and kind with fans from my perspective (I was one).

Substance abuse shouldn't ever be tolerated. It's very sad that they didn't address it properly and with sincerity. Perhaps if they were more serious about it they could have actually helped him help himself.

Sucks to be Patrick when riding horses like Acclimation..... Ellis almost choked when asked about the victory and his horse running behind Patrick. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    Sucks to be Patrick when riding horses like Acclimation..... Ellis almost choked when asked about the victory and his horse running behind Patrick. Good times.
    PVal's comments post race

"I've been lucky enough to ride some very good horses, champions like Sunday Silence and Arazi and Best Pal," Valenzuela said. "And this horse is right there with them. No doubt about it. He fits. Any horse that runs the way he does, making all the pace himself, then comes home the way he did (the last three-eighths in 34.29 seconds) is a really good horse."
    Image: Acclamation giving the field the tongue

A shame as I was looking forward to seeing what PVal and Acclamation could do in the Pacific Classic 2012 edition. Union Tribune 8-15-12 "Acclamation Likely Out of Pacific Classic

Acclamation, the defending champion of the TVG Pacific Classic at Del Mar, developed some heat in a pastern or ankle area of his left front foot and likely will miss the Pacific Classic, owner Bud Johnston said.

PVal to have knee surgery - expects to be riding again in Feb 2013:

He is hoping to return to racing in late February.

“I finally got the okay to get the surgery on Friday,” he said. “I hope to be back by the end of the February. They have to go in there and see what’s going on.”

More recently, he said he has been limited to watching races on television.

“I’m ready to get back,” he said. “I have been watching too many races on the couch.”
    Who knows - Stevens v. PVal again!

Well that comeback is being delayed but possible for a Del Mar return.

DRF June 28, 2013: "Valenzuela eyes return at Del Mar"

Valenzuela said he plans to meet with a doctor on Friday, seeking clearance to resume exercising horses. He said he underwent surgery in March to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

“On July 5, I’ll find out if I can be released or not,” Valenzuela said at Betfair Hollywood Park. “I’m hoping.”

Valenzuela said he doubted he would be ready to ride for Del Mar’s opening day, July 17, but said he wants to ride most of the meeting, which continues through Sept. 4.

Per this DRF report Valenzuela said he hopes to return to riding as early as Aug. 3 [at Del Mar]

Wednesday (7/24) at Del Mar, Valenzuela resumed working horses for the first time since November.

Valenzuela said Wednesday that he will represent himself “for a while.”

“I want to get back to doing the best I can,” he said.
    Checking the Del Mar standings for the meet 1-week in and you can see another older, knee corrected rider right in there Second in the standings is .... Gary Stevens! Just 15-starts but going 6-1-0 for $358,354. That's a 40% win rate. He is trailing Rafael Bejarano with huge lead of 13 wins from 46 mounts. Everyone else has 4-wins or less.

DRF 8/2/13 - Del Mar - P Val returns Saturday

P. Val returns to ride six races

Tanzanite Cat will be ridden by Patrick Valenzuela, who returns to riding for the first time since November with six mounts on Saturday.

Valenzuela, 50, said he underwent knee surgery earlier this year. He received doctor’s clearance in late July to resume exercising horses and has spent several mornings on the Del Mar backstretch in the last week.

In November 2011 Valenzuela announced his retirement, but returned to racing in May 2012. In 2012, he won 9 races from 129 mounts, including Grade 1 races aboard Acclamation in the Charles Whittingham Handicap at Hollywood Park and the Eddie Read Stakes at Del Mar.

From his mounts on Sat (Aug 3rd)

Starts: 6
    Firsts: 0
    Seconds: 1
    Thirds: 1

He had no rides on Sunday Aug 4th and this Wed Aug 7th only 1 mount ...