The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Rejuvenaide, Bio Sponge, Creep Feeds?

Just some basic questions for my upcoming first foal

Does any one use Progressives Rejuvenaide or Platinums Bio Sponge? If so, when and how much? (also what reasons and what to look for when a foal might need it)

Also, creep feeds, which ones are the best and what is the best way to feed the foals.

(how to feed the foal creep without the mom eating it!)

Right now my mare is on the progressive grass balancer and platinums Osteon. That is why I am mentioning the Progressive and Platinum lines.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I will never not have Rejuvenaide/Foal Aide and BioSponge or Miracle Clay on hand. Both are 'must haves' in my opinion.

I've used the Rejuvenaide for lax tendons, and for foals that had sniffles, scours, or any sort of other illness, just to be sure they are getting all the vits/mins they need. I also use it during times of undue stress, like if the mare is going to board for a week to be rebred. I get it in the tube--both because I have to mail order, and just for ease of dosing. I feed the appropriate dose. When I had a very bad scour issue in a newborn two years ago, (due to Regumate, which I was NOT aware of at the time!) I would put the dose on my finger and he would suck it right off my finger. No fuss, no muss, no trauma. The consistency is perfect for this--and I find it easier to put a finger into their mouth than the tube when needed.

BioSponge and be invaluable for scours and other tummy issues. Read the research on it--it's amazing stuff.

I can't speak to creep feed. All my mares share their food with their foals. Actually, all my horses, stallion, yearing colt, mares etc. share anyway, especially with the babies. So I just make sure I keep upping and upping and upping the feed (and giving appropriate ration balancer) as the foal eats more of it. I'll put in a second feed pan, but they swap back and forth...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I second PP comments on Rejuvenaide and Bio-Sponge. I actually routinely give Rejuvenaide from 1 week old until they are about three months old or when they are eating the full recommended amounts of the Foal Starter feed, whichever comes first. Bio-sponge I use on an as needed basis for diarrhea issues.

I use Buckeye's Foal Starter feed for foals up to three months. I have never had much success with creep feeders because when I make the bars wide enough for a foal not to be afraid to stick his nose in, somehow the mares get to the food as well. If the bars are too close together the foals won't eat the food either. Because I have a small number of foals each year, I feed the foals by holding a bucket for them so they can eat while mom eats. You can't hang the bucket, at least I can't, because mom will just go over and hoover the baby's food and then go back and finish her own. So once they begin to show an interest, I will go hold a bucket of the foal starter for them to eat. Of course this is not a practical method for people with lots of foals, but it works for me. Even the most nervous foals become friendly and easy to handle once they identify you as the friend with the food. We deliberately have our mare's food hung high enough that young foals cannot share with mom as young foals cannot digest grains properly until they are three months old. They need to eat a milk-based pellet. I'm sure Progressive's milk pellet is very good as well, it is just easier for me to get Buckeye and I have always been happy with it.
    Last edited by Clarion; Dec. 29, 2007 at 07:09 PM.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Great!

I have have ordered both Rejuvenaide and Bio Sponge to have on hand. Basically from what I have read about them and your advice, Rejuvenaide is for scours and any leg issues and Bio Sponge can be used for scours, but is good for any tummy issues.

I will have the foal on Progressive starter and creep and I can get it readily near my barn, so I am lucky! (the mare has been on the grass balancer since being pregnant.)

This will be the only foal on the property, as it is my friends house. She has 3 older geldings and a 6 yr old mare plus pregnant Gracie. So hand feeding the baby its creep shouldn't be an issue!

I have tried to come up with ideas for feed contraptions Gracie can't get into, but it just seems too complicated. I will be happy to feed the creep myself. Adds to the bonding experience right?!

It really helps with the bonding a lot. Everything is easier to do with them once they come to depend on you for their food I think. As for the Rejuvenaide, I actually don't use it for scours or other forms of diarrhea--I use Bio-Sponge, Probios, and Pepto in a variety of combinations depending on how bad the diarrhea is. It would help a foal with scours to help boost it up if it were a bit dragged down from diarrhea, but I mainly use Rejuvenaide to be sure the foals are getting adequate vitamins and minerals to support their growth and to both prevent and, if present at birth, treat contracted or lax ligament issues.

If you do decide to hold the foal feed for your foal--what we do is start by offering it to them in a fairly shallow tupperware-like container until they really start eating it. Sometimes even small buckets are intimidating for a young foal to stick their head into. So we let them have a little in the shallow tupperware container first. At first they will play with it and throw out more the they eat, but little by little they will start eating it. When we think they are comfortable eating it out of the shallow container, we move them into a small bucket and let them eat it out of there.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

RIP "Rio" (BW-Clarion) 2000-2009. Bright Spirit, Brave Heart, Loving Soul. I'll love and miss you forever.

Original Poster

What do you look for in the foal when you think it might need more vitamins/minerals?

Also, any mild abnormality in their leg structure should correct itself after adequate rejuvendaide and how for how long do you feed it?

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

It would help a foal with scours to help boost it up if it were a bit dragged down from diarrhea, but I mainly use Rejuvenaide to be sure the foals are getting adequate vitamins and minerals to support their growth and to both prevent and, if present at birth, treat contracted or lax ligament issues.
    Should've clarified a little more. I use it for any time when I think they might need the vit/min boost... chronic scours can leave them dehydrated and depleted, which is why I mentioned it there...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    What do you look for in the foal when you think it might need more vitamins/minerals?

Also, any mild abnormality in their leg structure should correct itself after adequate rejuvendaide and how for how long do you feed it?
    Foals that have been sick, aggressively growing foals, foals with leg issues, and as mentioned before. As I said, I give it to ALL my foals until I they are eating enough pellets to get their minerals that way, and foals with the above issues would still get some even if they were eating pellets well. So to answer your question, I generally just routinely give it to my foals until they are around three months old and eating Gro N Win. If they are aggressive growing foals or have other issues, I sometimes continue it longer than that.
    www.heartofgoldfarm.com

Original Poster

Anyone else use these products?

Hi Samotis,

I have used Buckeye's Foal Aide paste (an equivalent to the Rejuvenaide) for many years. My foals get it from a week of age until they are eating at least a pound per day of Foal Starter pellets (also a Buckeye product). I use BioSponge as needed for diarrhea.

Original Poster

Foal Starter from Buckeye is pretty close to Progressive starter and creep I think. I am pretty sure the guy that started Buckeye now owns Progressive. I have to say, progressive is expensive, but I have seen a huge difference in my 17 yr. old gelding!

I will make sure to have plenty rejuvenaide and bio sponge on hand!

I am so excited to have a baby!

I always have a supply of BioSponge. Great stuff.
    If I have a piggy mare that is not a good sharer I use a creep feeder to make sure the foal is getting what he needs.
    Best of luck with the upcoming bundle of joy, Samotis. I hope you post plenty of pics!

Original Poster

Generally speaking, when do foals usually get diarrhea? I heard it is at some point when the mares milk changes?

In addition to the BioSponge, I like to have a tube or two of GastroGuard or Ulcerguard on hand.

Original Poster

Yep, I already have gastrogaurd for my older gelding when he travels!

Where do you find the best prices online for Rejuvenaide, Bio Sponge?

How long does a tube of Rejuvenaide last for one foal?
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

I order BioSponge direct from Platinum Performance. The Rejuvenaide I get from my feed store that carries Progressive feeds. Great products!

Trust me you will know when you need bio sponge!!! When you have a crappy a** and have to wash it you need to be doing bio sponge and it has directions on how to use it. And of gastro-guard/ulcer-guard are a must to have on hand. If you are medicating your mare for anything, pain meds, antibodics, I use gastro-guard on the foal to prevent the foal from having problems. And if foal is on antibodics, I do gastro/ulcer guard as a precaution...life has been much better with crappy a**es since these two products have come out....a life saver on your and foals sore bums!!!!
    Zillionair Cremello JC Thoroughbred & Pure White Gold All White Palomino Dual Thoroughbred & APHA
    http://www.norsire.com
    Live Streaming Foaling Cam
    http://www.cyberfoaling.com/webcams/norsire2

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    Foal Starter from Buckeye is pretty close to Progressive starter and creep I think. I am pretty sure the guy that started Buckeye now owns Progressive. I have to say, progressive is expensive, but I have seen a huge difference in my 17 yr. old gelding!

I will make sure to have plenty rejuvenaide and bio sponge on hand!

I am so excited to have a baby!
    Buckeye started as a family-owned company for whom Don Kapper designed the feeds. Buckeye has changed ownership a few times. In the wake of one of the changes, Don left Buckeye to become chief nutritionist for Progressive Nutrition. It my understanding that Buckeye has made some changes in the years since Don's departure, and Don continues to follow the research in an effort to create new products and improve existing ones. To the best of my knowledge, however, he has never owned a feed company.

I've been using Kapper-designed products and programs for about 14 years. I use rejuvenade at the first sign of any leg problems in my youngsters, and also prophylactically because of the anti-oxidant content when the babies might be subject to high levels of stress. I discourage my foals from sharing their mother's feed because they do not have the enzymes necessary to digest much of anything except milk until they are 3 months old. That's why foal starter creep feeds are milk-based. I start my foals eating creep by offering it to them when they go for their mother's meals. After a while they will follow their own tub, which I hang in a corner of the stall or shed fenced off by a bar positioned so the foal can walk under it but not the mare.