The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Western Challenge 2008

I have a draft schedule, I think Sue the Organizer is nailing down some details. But it's scheduled to start at Bridlespur (Missouri) on Thursday March 20, and end at Red Rock (Nevada) on Monday April 7. If everything falls into place I'll at least make the hunts in Wyoming and Colorado, maybe even Arizona.

Anyone from Virginia or thereabouts thinking about schlepping on out for the Mother of all Hunting Tours? If so, please PM me as there could be some convoy/carpooling prospects.

Default I'll be there for the kickoff

I'll be there March 20th for the kickoff at Bridlespur. After that I head to Colorado to ski. I might try to get down to watch a hunt at Arapahoe depending on the weather. We're driving out this year so I'll have a car.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Default Any updates?

Does the Challenge go to Wyoming any more? We have a horse to get shipped from near Casper and that might be a good excuse for a road trip!!

brokenarrowdj

According to the latest schedule I have, yes- hunting with the Knoxville Hounds, Douglas, WY, reallly close to Casper on Monday, March 24...followed Wed-Fri by 3 consecutive hunting days in Colorado. Sounds like a road trip to me!

Default Come on over

Come on to Missouri and let us "Show you"

I don't know which fixture we'll be hunting at this year. It would be nice to hunt from the Bridlespur Kennels so we can show you all our new clubhouse.

As an aside, the local Basset Pack (Three Creek Bassets) is hosting it's "Gold Cup" field trials for Beagles and Bassets on the 15-16th of March. It is in Weldon Springs, MO, close to Bridlespur, near St. Louis. Come early with your foot hounds and make a real party of it. They have their hunt ball (The bunny ball) the night of the 15th.

I'll have a few of my beagles there.
    -Painted Wings

Default Bumping this up

Nothing new on the website.

http://www.westernchallenge.org/

When are they going to post a schedule? Anyone know?

All I know is Bridlespur is on the 20th to start.
    -Painted Wings

I'll email Sue and see what the web site status is. I know Bridlespur is the 20th, North Hills, Mar 22, Knoxville (WY), Mar 24, Arapahoe, Mar 26, Fort Carson, Mar 27, Waldingfield (at Arapahoe I assume) Mar 28. From there to Flagstaff for Grand Canyon Hounds, Paradise Valley Beagles, and (I think) Kingsbury Harriers. I heard that Santa Ynez dropped out, and I can't find my schedule, but I think Los Altos would be next and then ending at Red Rock, maybe April 6 or 7. Will re-post when I get an update.

Beverly,

Will you be at Arapahoe (Waldingfield)? I might try to come down to that from Vail. I'll email you directly as the times get closer and plans firm up.
    -Painted Wings

Default we hope the third time is a charm for H&H

high winds followed the next year by high winds pouring rain, thunder and lightning.
    we will hope murphy is doing the weather elsewhere!!!
    more hay, less grain

The Bridlespur fixture will be Hill n Hound in Kane, IL which is the same fixture as the previous two years. Unfortunately this venue is up for auction in early March (see eventing thread) and this may be our last chance to use it.

Any rich Foxhunters out there that want to buy a farm in Illinois?
    -Painted Wings

The Western challenge sounds like it will be a lot of fun. While I won't be able to make it I sure hope some of you get some good pictures to share with us when you get back.

I have two clients that are going to be in Vegas this weekend they both said if they win big they would buy Hill N Hound. Wouldn't that be great!!!

WWW.CMMBarnbrats.com

PW, yes, I plan to do the Wyoming meet and the three Colorado meets.

Armandh, yes, I DO hope for some decent weather for you this time around! I went back to the barn during the worst of the lightning last year, but still, my boots didn't dry out for days!

Still awaiting an update from Sue, will post here when I know something new!

Default The schedule is now posted

http://www.westernchallenge.org/

Looks like they wiped out all the cool stuff from 2007.

I've sent and inquiry to see if I can rent a horse for either Arapahoe or Waldingfield. I'm driving out so I can take my saddle and hunt attire with no problem. My brother lives in Denver so I'll have a place to stay (except he'll be in Vail with me).

So hopefully I'll be there for the kickoff at Bridlespur and then one of the hunts in Aurora. If I can't rent a horse I'll try to drive down and follow in the car anyway. I'd like to see Waldingfield in action. Maybe this year Bridlespur wont' have such bad weather and we'll get to see Waldingfield hunt bunnies there.
    -Painted Wings

How are the various hunts selected each year for the challange?? Is it a rotating basis, nomination or what??

And PaintedWings, I met a group of your Bridlespur folk this weekend, seems like 6 total. What fabulous folks and outstanding horses!! I used every trick I could to snag the Black & White horse a youth was hunting with great poise, we had chatted about the horse via some photos you had shared some time back. I'm sorry to report that the Black & White horse returns to St. Louis tomorrow and evidently the line of "wanna be owners" of said horse is quite long.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    How are the various hunts selected each year for the challange?? Is it a rotating basis, nomination or what??

And PaintedWings, I met a group of your Bridlespur folk this weekend, seems like 6 total. What fabulous folks and outstanding horses!! I used every trick I could to snag the Black & White horse a youth was hunting with great poise, we had chatted about the horse via some photos you had shared some time back. I'm sorry to report that the Black & White horse returns to St. Louis tomorrow and evidently the line of "wanna be owners" of said horse is quite long.
    Pretty much, whichever hunts want to participate may do so- there is a bit of a seniority system, because of course geography is a challenge- if there just isn't time to travel to a particular hunt, they might not be scheduled, unless they are willing to travel and consolidate with another hunt to save on travel time.

Painted Wings, I may be taking a spare horse- will know after I road test the young'un in Nevada next weekend. I also have a hireling contact in Colorado, I will try to remember later today to PM the info to you!

Beverly,

I got an email from Kathy Tourney. She is working on finding me a horse to lease but if you have something that would be great too. I'd be happy just to hilltop.

I'll email you privately.
    -Painted Wings

SLW,

Yes, I've been eyeing McKenzie's Rocky for some time now. He is such a great babysitter. He could babysit me anytime.

For everyone else's benefit, the horse we are talking about is the one on the left in this photo

http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/image/88568084

I'm on the horse on the right. I was trying to do a quick switch but Cissy on the middle paint got in my way LOL.

Here she is again:

http://www.pbase.com/stl_don/image/88568088

I think I could take her. Not too sure about her grandpa though. He might object.
    -Painted Wings

Yes, that is the eye catching Black & White gelding! As we were returning to the kennels I told the Mr. & Mrs. that my hunt had a custom on Hunt Ball weekend. Guest were to allow the newest member of the host hunt (that would be me ) to select the horse of their choice to keep and I had selected "Smoky". This has been a long standing tradition which began at 10:00 a.m. that morning. A good laugh but needless to say, Smoky is back on the east side of Missouri. Dang!

On the subject of turnout, your group was impeccable in turnout. Everything in place, nothing to excess and completely spotless on all accounts! Beautiful and classic. Very nice folk to boot.

There's your problem. You requested "Smoky". His name's Rocky. I'm sure if you'd have provided the right name you could have gotten him (yeah, right!)
    -Painted Wings

Dangit!!!