The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A New Tradition is Born (fixed links)

We started a tradition last year. I’m not sure exactly when something becomes a tradition but I am sure that this is a new one. Last year on Christmas Eve we hooked up the ponies and took family and friends for sleigh rides. The kids like to tie sleds on behind and have the equivalent of a demolition derby on the back. Last year Mrs. Lost was recovering from nasal and sinus surgery so my mother stepped in and made homemade spudnuts and hot chocolate for the visitors. A spud nut is a donut like creation that has mashed potatoes in the batter. They are better than a Krispy Crème is my book. This year we never really planned to have a party it just kind of planned us. The kids friends started asking if we were going to do it again. Then we received phone calls from relatives that wondered if we would take some more kids for rides. A party for 60 was quickly planned for us.

Sunday night it looked like it would be a real blizzard. The snow was about 18 inches deep where the wind hadn’t blown. I was a little worried about the ponies being able to pull that many loads of people. You can over load a team with people easier than with hay and with a lot less effort. People pile on and off unlike the hay. I took the loader and dug into the equipment pile and found the culitpacker. I was not sure if it would work to pack a trail but figured it would be better than anything else I could think of. The snow bunched up in front and a little went around the ends but for the most part it packed the snow well. After the 3 pass we had a perfect track. It was the right combination of packed enough to not over do the ponies and soft enough to not hurt the kids. I cleaned the drive way and built a sledding hill out of the spoils.

The ponies traveled 13 miles loaded with folks, unknown sledding hill trips, 23 dozen spudnuts and 5 gallons of hot chocolate were consumed. We had a total of 73 people pass through the house. On one trip around the field, we had a guy stop on the highway to take pictures. I waved him over and he rode a couple of rounds and took a bunch of pictures. He had a few goodies and seemed to enjoy the experience. This as the storm continued. A total of 6 inches fell during the festivities. Ponies were pooped and I was frozen but I am happy to report that the only casualties were the spudnuts.

LF

http://drafthorsevillage.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=421
    http://drafthorsevillage.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=420
    http://drafthorsevillage.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=419
    http://drafthorsevillage.com/phpBB2/...php?pic_id=418
    Last edited by LostFarmer; Dec. 26, 2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Fixed links

So when are WE invited??? Sounds like a WONDERFUL tradition

BTW I couldn't access the photos without signing up... which I didn't want to do.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Me too. Ditto Ashemont. Wanna see the pictures, and wanna come next year! Will bring spudnuts... whatever they are

Okay I think I fixed it. Dang technology!! LF

Google is our friend!

SPUDNUTS

1 cup shortening
    2 cups mashed potatoes
    4 cups lukewarm milk
    5 eggs*, beaten
    1 cup sugar
    2 Tablespoons yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    12 to 15 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon lemon extract

Scald milk with shortening. Add sugar, salt and enough
    flour to make a thin batter, about the consistency of
    cake batter. Add the mashed potatoes, beaten eggs,
    dissolved yeast and lemon extract. Add enough more
    flour to make a soft dough. Let rise twice, then roll
    out and cut into doughnut shapes. Let rise again until
    light. Drop doughnuts into hot oil (375 degrees to 400
    degrees), raised-side down. Turn once. Remove from
    heat and drain briefly before dipping into a glaze
    made by mixing powered sugar and water at a ratio of 1
    cup to 2 Tablespoons, respectively. Add more water if
    needed. Makes 10 to 12 dozen spudnuts. ENJOY!!!!!
    * note: If you cut the recipe in half, use 3 eggs.

I will withold judgement about that Krispy Creme comment until I have done more research on this Spudnut thing ......

Don
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Default too far

Why is Idaho so far from Florida?

They are lighter and less cake like than a Krispy Creme. LC#3 the little skinny one was on his 5th when I came in. Spudnuts must be and Idaho thing. LF

OOOOOh, I've got leftover mashed potatoes....

Dang, that looks cold, LF! You have great ponies, great kids and great neighbors, and you live in God's country. But you sure do have snow.

Dale

Don,
    That recipe is close but mom uses whole milk, butter instead of the shortening, and we fry them in melted lard rather than other oils. The lard allows you to get it hotter without smoking. We also use a cutter that has holes as to not smash the dough. This keeps the spudnut light.
    Now I have to wait another year before she makes any more. LF

What a blast. Sounds like good eats, good ponies, good friends. Who can ask for more than that.

LF, once again you bring a whole new view to driving. What wonderful pics of the ponies and the kid. Their faces tell it all. Thanks again for sharing a wonderful slice of your life.

That looks FUN! My grandfather used to do something similar with the family around Christmas time (minus the spudnuts), and those are memories I will always cherish. He inspired my love of driving, actually.

Glad to see you're passing your appreciation for horses and driving on, too.