The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Horses and hunger, an American woman's life in Iran

Fascinating article! Hope she writes a book - or someone writes one about her!!

Horses and hunger, an American woman's life in Iran

co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Very interesting article. I would love to see pictures of her horses.

i'd love to go on one of those 10 day rides! i bet she has all kinds of interesting stories.
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

"She decided to leave the United States when companies tried to lure her and other students with generous pension schemes: "I was appalled. Now of course I don't have a retirement plan but I've had a very good time."

What a frickin' leftist idiot. That the silly bugger has horses is neither here nor there. She bad mouths this country and doesn't seem to have problems with friends being killed by the local muslim nutters or relatives put in jail for 6 years due to genetics.

She couldn't stand the idea of "generous pension schemes"...what an idiot. She's not an American, she's a leftist loon.

Other than that...poor horses.

Well, she sounds interesting and determined!

http://www.caspianhorse.com/history_rediscovery.htm

Your opinions and outlook change sometimes when you have been away from home for a while, no matter where your home should be. However, her devotion to the horses sounds constant and real.

Right on, Trakehner! She's welcome to stay there.

The one photo of her with the brown horse -- not impressed. Wonder if that's supposed to be a Caspian or one of the Turkomen horses. They can stay there, too. We have enough sorry horses here already.

CallMEGrace, I noticed she came from Vermont. People in Vermont are...different. I bet she had these lefty views before she moved to Iran.
    Last edited by ThreeFigs; Dec. 26, 2007 at 02:32 PM. Reason: addition

Nice knee-jerk reaction there, Trakehner. Someone could just as goofily glom on to the statement that she "married a young aristocrat" and rant about how she's a right wing nutjob.

Some folks realize that *for them*, working at a company in a generic job purely for the sake of the pension and stability isn't what they want to do with their lives. The Road Not Taken, "thinking outside the box" etc. It has nothing to do with where on the political spectrum one falls.

I think she sounds fascinating, and would love to hear more. I've seen her referenced in occasional articles about the Caspians, but little attention was paid to her personal story, which sounds like it would make a heck of a book or film.

Quote Originally Posted by Beasmom View Post
    CallMEGrace, I noticed she came from Vermont. People in Vermont are...different. I bet she had these lefty views before she moved to Iran.
    Virginia. She's from *Virginia*.

Gosh, it must be so handy to be able to dismiss entire states full of people as fitting neatly into your little pre-determined boxes.

Right on, Trakehner! She's welcome to stay there.

The one photo of her with the brown horse -- not impressed. Wonder if that's supposed to be a Caspian or one of the Turkomen horses. They can stay there, too. We have enough sorry horses here already.

Uh oh, citydog, I guess you're in trouble, too. I'd like to know where my beliefs came from - started in NJ, moved to MA, then to Aurora, CO (oh dear, Beasmom), then to the UK, now in KY (hotbed of radical, left wing thinking that it is!).

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeGrace View Post
    Well, she sounds interesting and determined!

http://www.caspianhorse.com/history_rediscovery.htm

Your opinions and outlook change sometimes when you have been away from home for a while, no matter where your home should be. However, her devotion to the horses sounds constant and real.
    Agreed. And thanks for that link! It filled in a few gaps that the story posted by Weatherford left out (such as why she was jailed).
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

---""She decided to leave the United States when companies tried to lure her and other students with generous pension schemes: "I was appalled. Now of course I don't have a retirement plan but I've had a very good time."---

She wanted to be a rebellious student damming the established order.
    Then became an aristocrat's wife in a foreign country, where that put her at the top of a very restrictive culture.
    No one sees the the irony in that?

Horses are her obsession. We ought to relate some to that part of her.

She is an interesting woman, but I fear for the future of her horses if something happens to her at her age. She may boast about having 'no pension' but there are 45 horses counting on her for survival.

Citydog, oh, damn, you're right. Virginia. Mea culpa. I will fall on my sword now.

She's still a lefty, and she's welcome to her crappy life in Iran.

She sounds like a libertarian, not a leftist. Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ---""She decided to leave the United States when companies tried to lure her and other students with generous pension schemes: "I was appalled. Now of course I don't have a retirement plan but I've had a very good time."---

She wanted to be a rebellious student damming the established order.
    Then became an aristocrat's wife in a foreign country, where that put her at the top of a very restrictive culture.
    No one sees the the irony in that?

Horses are her obsession. We ought to relate some to that part of her.
    While I do see the irony, I also have to think of my own "interesting" views. I tend to lean to the right, but there are a few things that the right side CANNOT change my mind about. Some things I disagree with. But yes, I do get the irony you're speaking of.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Wow, I'm so impressed by the tolerance and generosity shown in the spirit of the holidays by the members of this board. It only took, what, less than half a day for someone to start name calling and put-downs, based on no personal knowledge, just an interpretation of someone from a short article.

She sounds like an interesting and amazing woman who's gone through a much more adventurous life than most of us on this board.

And I'm sure many of you will now howl at me about how tough and outgoing and amazing you are yourselves - my kudos to you if you've been through half of what she has, and I'd love to hear your stories, too. Seriously. I won't even throw ugly pseudo-political labels at you or decide that you aren't thinking about long-term care for your horses properly.
    "She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was shaped funny and rolled asymmetrically."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Wow, I'm so impressed by the tolerance and generosity shown in the spirit of the holidays by the members of this board. It only took, what, less than half a day for someone to start name calling and put-downs, based on no personal knowledge, just an interpretation of someone from a short article.

She sounds like an interesting and amazing woman who's gone through a much more adventurous life than most of us on this board.

And I'm sure many of you will now howl at me about how tough and outgoing and amazing you are yourselves - my kudos to you if you've been through half of what she has, and I'd love to hear your stories, too. Seriously. I won't even throw ugly pseudo-political labels at you or decide that you aren't thinking about long-term care for your horses properly.
    This is an internet world, where people of all kinds come to topics, from all sides, with great insights and crazy angles. That is one of many reasons that makes the discourse here worthwile.
    I agree that she had a very interesting life and would be worth anyone's time to listen to her or read about it.
    Since we can't do that now, we are flying with what we got here.

It would be interesting to know more about her work with the horses.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Virginia. She's from *Virginia*.
    Vermont, Virginia, the Virgin Islands. Whatevah. Are you asking us not to let facts get in the way of our biases? Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by citydog View Post
    Nice knee-jerk reaction there, Trakehner. Someone could just as goofily glom on to the statement that she "married a young aristocrat" and rant about how she's a right wing nutjob.

Some folks realize that *for them*, working at a company in a generic job purely for the sake of the pension and stability isn't what they want to do with their lives. The Road Not Taken, "thinking outside the box" etc. It has nothing to do with where on the political spectrum one falls.

I think she sounds fascinating, and would love to hear more. I've seen her referenced in occasional articles about the Caspians, but little attention was paid to her personal story, which sounds like it would make a heck of a book or film.
    I totally agree.

But then I guess I'm another nutcase who thinks that people should follow their hearts and find their own path.
    Anyone outside the path defined by the right is now a nutcase. So much for freedom to choose.

I think her life would probably make a fascinating read and covers an period in history of a lot of upheaval and change.

She's still a lefty, and she's welcome to her crappy life in Iran.
    bless your heart