The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you clean stalls Christmas Day?

Voters
310. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

30 9.68%
  • Yes.

224 72.26%
  • Yes, I just pick them though.

40 12.90%
  • Santa does them!

16 5.16%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

The horses don't know it's Christmas, so yes I clean stalls just like any other day.

My barn helpers have Christmas day off. Its tradition at the farm. We all help out and things go as normal and I enjoy it!!!
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

As far as stall cleaning, blanketing/changing blankets, feeding etc. the horses would not know Christmas day is any different from any other day. I don't do any grooming and such on Christmas though.

My barn does not clean stalls on Christmas, but the barn is open 'till 2:00, so I will go in the morning tomorrow and clean his stall. I feel bad if I don't, and plus, he's a HUGE pig. His stall is always trashed.

They also don't do turnouts, but I'm planning to ride when I go out. They probably wouldn't be able to turn out tomorrow anyway. They didn't today 'cause the pastures are icy. 2 days ago it was 50* and raining, yesterday and today it's like 20*. So everything froze.

I have worked at barns where the owner would do the pm feed as an x-mass treat for the workers, but I have never heard of anyone not doing chores just becuase its a holiday.

And who feeds the special x-mass hot bran mash?

No, because I don't have stalls and they wouldn't be in them if I did. But my friends w/ stalls do them like any other day and if I'm there I help, though the majority of them are out 24/7 anyway so not many stalls to clean this time of year.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Do horses POOP on Christmas Day?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Nope, everyone is off- no turnout, no stalls on christmas day, thanksgiving, and new years. No stalls on sundays ever. Do I like it? Not really, but the barn is great every other day of the week I usually just go through his stall with a fork and chuck allt he poop into the corner so that he won't get is mixed around or have to stand in it.
    -Grace

Yup, mine will be done. I'll go out around 11pm to skip out so there's less poop for tomorrow though.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

My dad or I will do them =) The 2 ponies will go out in the day, but come in to nice clean stalls that night.

Quote Originally Posted by JRey View Post
    Wait... they do?

Only the ones raised in a barn.

When I lived in Florida, the stalls got picked out by the BO, but not thoroughly cleaned. I was fine with this.
    Have YOU ever looked into the eyes of a rich white child who has just lost a jumping competition?

i do i have place all the hay out in the filed for the morning
    then will mcuk out am bright and early then go and do debs as mickeys asleep
    so go up and do her 5 horse so thats 2 yards 11 neds

takes me 1hour and then 10mins trip to debs and 1omins trip to mine 10mins home

and take is all water hay and full muck outs

its takes me - 5mins to do a 12.x12 or12x14 stable makes no difference in size with straw and it doesnt matter how dirty
    the horse is
    haha that was agian proven to night debs brought her freind with her to pick me up as me and my hubby had little mickey as it was cold to go up yard so he stayed at my house
    then debs said she got to go to the shop and her mate said we will help you when we come back
    i said dont worry i wlll be finish by the time you come back - she said dont be so daft
    they was gone 20mins all stables mucked out and water and hay in only has to feed the cats and go home

i guess it comes from years of expreince haha
    so 22 stables - easy 2hrs water hay and full muck outs haha i have been timed so many times i know how long now its 4mins and 56.3 sec

I offered to come in and help the BM with the stalls.

She is giving everyone the day off and will do the stalls.

All horses will go out unless it is raining.

I have four at home and they will get treated like kings (which is like EVERY day ).
    I love knowing that they can come in to fresh shavings, a fluffed pile of hay and a clean bucket of water. It's my Christmas present to them to keep them happy and healthy. As a matter of fact, I guess they get to 'enjoy' Christmas all year long then .

do you flush your toilet on Christmas or let it build up until the day after Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    Nope. The barn crew has the day off, and the BO's family feeds and waters.
    Same happens at my barn. No turnout either. Horses are fed like normal (we have auto waterers) but stalls aren't cleaned. Oftentimes, you'll see boarders doing their own if they come on Christmas. I'll be out there so I'll do my horses and check to see if any others are horrendous. But barn worker (we only have one) deserves a day off, the Asst. in visiting family in Florida, and the BO/trainer has family in town. They all deserve to have a nice day. Then the farm returns to normal on Wed. and we're off to a show on Thurs.

Yep. Husband and I will turn the horses out, come back to the house for the kids to open gifts, then back to the barn to clean. It's kind of nice to have my husband's company at the barn!

Of course! I like spending Christmas morning in the barn (used as a run in) giving the horses their presents (carrots, apples, candy canes...) with a big cup of coffee, and clean them up, do manes and tails for the company later. My time hanging out with them is my present, and who wants to spend it in a poopy barn?!

My horse is at a boarding barn and they don't do stalls on Christmas day because the barn help has the day off. They deserve it and I have no problem with it. The BM will feed. I'll be going to the barn and I'll do it and turn him out.
    Last edited by just_me; Dec. 24, 2007 at 08:58 PM.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.