The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gifts for your trainer.....

any ideas (on a budget)?

No one, I repeat, no one can resist homemade cookies or brownies. Make a few batches of various types, put them on a nice plate that you got at a "Marshalls" type store, and call it a gift. Yummy and memorable, especially if you are a good cook. If not, find a good recipe somewhere and create!!!

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Chocolates/candies are always good!

A nice photo [taken by you or a prof.] in a nice $10 Marshall's frame.

A nice card or hand written letter goes a long way!

This is wonderful:

http://www.lather.com/scripts/prodLi...idCategory=288

And here are a couple more options, each particularly suited to winter "upkeep":

http://www.lather.com/scripts/prodVi...idCategory=287

http://www.lather.com/scripts/prodVi...idCategory=248

http://www.lather.com/scripts/prodVi...idCategory=246

Can you tell I'm a big fan of Lather products? Discovered them while traveling a couple years back (the hotel had mini bottles), and I've been a user--and gift-giver--of their products ever since.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Churchill

Wink

oh, I LOVE lather products!! I reccomend them to everyone

Please keep the ideas coming_..I will remember to take more pictures of everyone (and their horses) for next years photo frame gifts.brownies - a great idea as long as I don't eat them on the way to the barn

If you are on the budget, you can go with gloves - working gloves.

Has your trainer ever mentioned a cute pad or shirt or polos you wore (or your horse wore) during a lesson?
    We bought a prof photo of our trainer's horse performing her (the horse) first PSG test and framed it.
    THen we also framed a pic of us on our horses w/ her standing between us and put it in a frame.
    We also bought her a shirt that I was wearing (and she said she really liked it), so I went out and bought it for her.

You could do polos with her horses breed logo on them or an embroidered saddle pad. Homemade horse cookies. Nice soft warm socks or a nice warm hat.
    Love your horse like it's the last time you'll see him

My trainer commented on my schooling whip, so I bought her one for her birthday last month.

http://www.pelhamtack.co.uk/cart.php...product_id=786

she is always leaving her "working" gloves around so I'll get her a pair of those and some home made chocolates for christmas.

Paddy
    "Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done"

~Member of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~

I love getting picture frames/keychains or various trinkets from Things Remembered...and they'll personalize it. You can get alot of things personalized in the $25 range...and it makes a thoughtful gift.
    Chase's Mom; RIP Dezi 1/99-2/09

Laundry detergent for breeches (like Leather Therapy's stuff), really heavy-duty hand lotion, warm socks/gloves/mittens/ear thingies. Stuff we need for the job but wouldn't necessarily think to buy ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagediosa View Post
    Stuff we need for the job but wouldn't necessarily think to buy ourselves.
    i am getting my trainer a bottle of wine and some horse-shaped chocolates from ikea. with me and my horse, the bottle of wine is indeed "stuff she needs for the job."

Last year I got mine a few things...but one of them was a neoprene wine holder/cooler with a little corkskrew in a side pocket. Perfect for showing She happened to be going to Florida to compete for the winter for her first time. I think it was right at or under $20?

I've done gloves (schooling and show), whips, hot/cold herbal neck "wrap" pillows, etc. But the barn usually gets a group of students together and goes in on a "big" gift. This year we got stall curtains shows and are just waiting on the embroidery of the farm name.
    *bad shoulder clique * Member of "OMGiH, I loff my Mare" Clique! * Proud owner of a CANTER Cutie!
    My Horses; COMH Page; My Blog

If you have a nice pic of your trainer, you can do something personalized from CafePress (I'm doing that for a trainer friend of mine - for example, tiles with a picture of trainer and her horse). Or - with my trainer, this is ALWAYS a hit, I know it's been mentioned a few times - CHOCOLATE!!! I found a local candy shop that mades beautiful truffles, so I bought her a box of truffles. Other ideas - a nice selection of gourmet coffee or even hot chocolate mixes and a nice traveling mug, so she can sip on something hot while giving lessons this Winter.

Gloves and warm socks are always popular. A gift certificate for a free braid job during show season?

You have to have a trainer with a great sense of humor, but yesterday at the tack shop, they had black thongs, with snaffle bit embroidery on the front, to solve the "panty line" problem. I had to get a pair for a friend. That were just so funny.

I personally am making a tote bag for my trainer with her horse's name, farm name and horse on it. Helps that I can sew and have an embroidery machine.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Howdy
    I got mine a nice warm throw, good for wrapping yourself in during chilly lessons. Hand warmers are also a nice thing.

Over the years I have gotten my trainer gloves, framed articles about him from national magazines but I think his favorite is the gift he has gotten for the past 3 years...BEER!! I get a dozen different imported beers from Germany, put them in a basket with chocolates mixed in, seems to work. (Of course the rule at his farm is if anyone falls off, they have to buy a case of beer for everyone, so...)

I've tried bridle name tags with the names of her horses engraved, polowraps, a warm sweater, and this year, some nice bath/spa stuff (since she hardly ever gets off the property)
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

I gave mine a horsey training book this year. She already read it.

Default Posted similar question...

I eneded up getting them custom mugs with their farm logo's on them! They loved them! I got this done at a local (wonderful) camera store 2-3 days! danscameracity.com you can do it online and they can ship them to you. $13.99 each! Great deal and personalized!!

Amy