The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you eat during your rides?

As the title states - what do you eat?

I have a bad habit of not eating nor drinking enough, and at a ride in 2005 I actually passed out on top of my horse right before the photographer.

I just...don't think to eat, and am not hungry or thirsty.

I am aware, however, how important it is to eat and drink before you even begin to get hungry or thristy, so your body doesn't get out of whack.

What do you guys eat? I know a few people who bring cheese cubes with them for the rides, I used to bring granola bars but I always forget to eat them. [However, they keep well - I ate one that was over a year old. ]

Ideas? I'm going to actually try to eat and drink on my rides this next year. I want to keep my body as fit as possible, and not stress is anymore than I need to.
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Quote Originally Posted by gothedistance View Post
    Peanuts, raisins, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and chocolate.

The food of champions! How else do you think I get through 50 miles in one day with a smile on my face the whole time!

See I'm a miserable grump at the end of my rides. I'm dizzy, usually throw up, and just...feel like I'm going to die.

I love PB&J's. Maybe I'll start taking those. Although I'm not a fan of warm jelly. Hrmm.

My last ride I ate 5 donuts before I left. I was puking at the six mile marker. At least I can multi task! Ride AND expel the contents of my stomach at the same time.

..and hope no one is behind me. ^_^
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

What about the Smuckers PB&J sandwiches that come frozen in the freezer section. They slowly thaw out so you'd stand a good chance of them being just the right temperature by the time you were hungry. Just a though. Bonus is they are prewrapped individually.

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    What about the Smuckers PB&J sandwiches that come frozen in the freezer section. They slowly thaw out so you'd stand a good chance of them being just the right temperature by the time you were hungry. Just a though. Bonus is they are prewrapped individually.
    Ooohh I LOVE those!

My hubby always tries to sneak them in the grocery cart, but I put them back and tell him he can make his own.

Thanks for the idea! I think I'll make my own PB&J's and then freeze those!
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Do NOT NOT NOT eat sugar at the start of a ride! NO NO NO NO NO!! You want protein -- like scrambled eggs -- or a warm cereal --like oatmeal-- that is going to stay with you, provide slow release energy, and not give you a buzz on top of the stress of the start.

You can scarf donuts at the tail end of the ride when your body can use a shot of sugar, but remember PROTEIN in the beginning and in the middle is your friend!

Also, carry some peppermints with you, in case your stomach gets to feeling queezy. Peppermints are soothing and will calm the upset tummy while you are riding.
    I've always wondered WHY the management offers free donuts at the beginning of the rides. And people always eat them. I eat them because they're free.

I will not eat them anymore. But I will snag a few for after the ride [they're usually gone within 15 minutes of the boxes being delivered]

I'll do protein next time. I love cinnamon roll flavored instant oatmeal, so I'll do that. Or a protein shake, those are easy to make.

Thanks everyone
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Planning to do a 35 miler next fall, but I worry about the peppermints for me on the trail. I think horse might stop and wonder why I'm eating HER treats.

JMHO, but...a shake will slosh around in your stomach and may make you queezy. I would probably suggest you stick with the oatmeal. It isn't going to flip around in your stomach while you are trotting along.

Good point. Didn't even think about that one.

Oatmeal it will be!
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

In my extemely limited experience-PBJ & Green's chocolate energy bars are awesome. The energy bars have all kinds of good for you stuff in them yet they actually taste good, too. Pretzel sticks in baggies to put in a shirt pocket and 1/2 gatorade 1/2 h20 frozen into a camel back are nice, too.

The horse also liked the energy bar & pretzels...

S.

I never feel Hungry before I ride, I know this is so bad but i don't eat before my Rides... (explains why i am so utterly exhausted by the end of the day).
    but i wake up at 5ish and the Only place open is Dunkin Doughnuts!!
    It would definitely help to have scrambled Eggs and orange juice.
    Now THATS a breakfast of Champions!
    **Chelsea**

Unfortunately I don't eat all that healthy on long rides, but I do eat trail mix! that stuff is great, carbs, protein, and fat; lots of energy! I always bring a water bottle on the trail w/me, but forget to drink so I just bring it with me anyways.
    My last ride I discovered Nutella sandwhiches whoops
    Last edited by questisthebest; Dec. 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: more stuff

Just to expand on what gothedistance said... my father is an avid backpacker and he got me in the habit of stopping regularly (like say, every half hour) and taking at least a good swallow or two of water whether you feel thirsty or not. I grew up in a very arid region and the saying there at least was "If you're feeling thirsty, you're already dehydrated." It probably is a good idea to get in the same habit with eating (although I personally don't have that problem--I'll graze all day if I have snacks with me!). Maybe set a timer until you get in the habit. I've been doing it since I was like 12 and anymore I don't even think about it, I'll just be trotting along and pull out my water bottle every half hour.

My ultimate backpacking/pre-workout/long trail-ride food is Larabars - all they are is compressed dried fruit and nuts with spices. Super tasty, individually wrapped, more convenient than gorp or fresh fruit. They fill you up without overloading the stomach, and have a good mix of carbohydrates, fat, protein and fiber, and enough potassium to help ward off muscle cramping.

Powerbars and Gatorade. I buy ones with the highest protein possible. I get so nerved up, I can't eat real food, but I do force myself to eat something. It has to be dense and go down in as few bites as possible. I also eat those canned vienna sausages before I mount up. I have found out the hard way that drinking only water makes me feel worse than if I drink at least 50% of my liquids as Gatorade. You need the sodium, potassium and carbs along the way.

I force myself to eat another powerbar every couple of hours whether I feel hungry or not.

Also, carry some peppermints with you, in case your stomach gets to feeling queezy. Peppermints are soothing and will calm the upset tummy while you are riding.
    Ooooh, be very careful with this! A peppermint is exactly the right size to choke you and cut off your airways. Trust me - I know this one first hand. I was posting the trot, and eating a peppermint and sucked it right down to my windpipe. I was off the horse, and on my hands and knees and thankfully it popped free. It scared the living crap out of me and I won't eat peppermints (or any round, hard candy) at all now unless I first whack them with something and shatter them into pieces.

Default i also snack on the carrots and apples that i share

with my mare.

i hate the sweet pastry and donuts that ride management puts out in the a.m. it makes me sick, gives me heartburn. all wrong. i guess they do it b/c it's cheap but yuck!

so now i bring oatmeal with me. except at the last ride i found out that i also need to bring hot water in a thermos b/c the ride management offered only one (v. small) pot of regular coffee. after few of us inquired about hot water they tried to hook up a microwave to the generator but it was just killing the generator. i ended up w/ luke warm oatmeal for breakfast... it was just a bad day from the get go...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

The North - frozen mud and now SNOW and COLD

I find that I can't eat at all while riding - even at home in the ring for a 20 minute session.

During rides I make sure that I eat a good nutritious meal the night before and then do a protein drink the morning of the ride (along with my morning large cup of tea). During the ride (up to 50 miles - longest done in 11.5hrs) I will drink Gatorade and water. Sometimes I'll have a yogurt (Yoplait) but that is it until my horse has vetted out - then I'm ravenous.

Same thing on show days - power drink, tea, Gatorade, water, plenty of food after all is said and done.

I find the key is to keeping hydrated and remembering to pee at the vet checks. I will drink at least 1/2 bottle of Gatorade and 1/2 bottle of water per vet check.

After the ride I'll sip a low-alcohol beer (de-alcoholized or near beer) as a good electrolyte that will also add some calories to the stomach to keep me from wolfing food too quickly. I'm not fussy on the taste of beer so one is often enough.

Thanks for the ideas everyone Looks like oatmeal wins.

The ride management usually has a huge thing of hot water out to make tea and hot chocolate with, but my friend always brings her little portable stove just in case.

Gatorade, oatmeal, frozen pb&j's and cheese cubes are on my list for the next ride.
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

From my college track days I developed a fondness for Luna bars. There is a rice crispy one with chocolate on it that tastes like a chocolate rice crispy treat. YUMMY! Nice balance of carbs and protein and it actually tastes good. (I cannot choke down PowerBars at ALL!)

Quote Originally Posted by PalominoMorgan View Post
    From my college track days I developed a fondness for Luna bars. There is a rice crispy one with chocolate on it that tastes like a chocolate rice crispy treat. YUMMY! Nice balance of carbs and protein and it actually tastes good. (I cannot choke down PowerBars at ALL!)
    I've had them before, I like them

Power Bars...I like them, too. LOL
    (¯`·._¤ Jess!·._¤ ´¯)

Smoothies, granola bars, bannanas... that was about the staple diet for Mom and I over the summer. Okay, so there was usually a few more choices, plenty of fruit, juices, pop, crackers and luncheon slices, whatever we could put in the cooler. But unless it was really cold, we usually didn't take time to make something hot. Except for coffee. We always percolated a pot of coffee in the morning. It helped to wake us up and warm us up if it was say below freezing, which it actually was once. Usually we forced ourselves to keep eating, but it is so hard to remember. One ride I didn't eat anything from breakfast, to 2 p.m. when I finished. But I was in first place, and then showed for BC, (and actually won it) so I felt great. I just remembered at about 4, "Hey, I haven't eaten anything all day!" I normally do better.