Default Happy Boxing Day

To all my old online buddies.

Anyone have any good stories to tell of today's hunt? People still do that ?

Joel in Nebraska

Same to ya!

Sigh, no hunting for me today...huntless in Utah still.

But I am pondering a hunting foray to Wyoming in February.

No hunting stories, alas, and I've already made my charitable donations, so I won't even be figuratively giving to any alms boxes today! It's St. Stephen's Feast Day, too, right -- what was he patron saint of?

Oh, well, there are some things I need so I should at least try to keep with one "tradition" of today, visiting the post-Christmas sales!

We had a good hunt today. I'll provide a link to the writeup as soon as I get myself organized. I'm headed out to one of the Master's house's for a supper of pot luck leftovers. Should be good. The photos and GPS will have to wait until I get home.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Looks like it was pretty chilly on t'other side of the pond http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/galle...?g2_itemId=675

The beagles hunted today, but I don't have a whole lot to say about it.

I think Risk-Averse Rider clocked 7.8 miles on her GPS.

It was cold. My toe warmers weren't working.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Our Boxing Day meet here in VA was canceled because of an all day steady drenching rain...but since we've been in a drought situation, no one really complained about the rain too much.

Hounds did provide a good chase on Sunday at the Oakwood fixture, one of the newer staff members viewed the fox traveling with a herd of deer trying to throw off the hounds. She said she'd always heard stories of that occuring, but never really believed it until she saw it herself.
    Unfortunately the fox crossed the road into forbidden country.

Hopefully we will get out this weekend, but the "R" word is again in the forecast.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Default Here's my report

Hunting Wednesday December 26th, 2007 10:00AM
    Valley Green Farm

Huntsman: Eleanor Hartwell

Whips: Jill Wagenknecht, John Korenack, Tess Fleishli
    First Field: Mary Hensel (fieldmaster), Stephanie Mihlbaugh, Sarah Zenisek, Jean Mutrux, Abby Mutrux, Leslie Ayers

Second Field: Werner Kugler (fieldmaster), Gerda Kugler, Michael Murphy, Debbie Hogan, Leslie Granger

Jr. Field: Lei Ruckle (Fieldmaster), Cissy Calvrid, Joy Yates, Ron Ausman

14 ½ couple hounds

GPS readings 7.62 miles 1 hour 26 minutes moving 2 hour 3 minutes stopped. Total time 3 hrs 29 minutes. Max speed 19.2 mph
    Moving average 4.9 mph

It was only 20 deg. F when I loaded up the horse at the barn. The weather prediction was for a high of 50 degrees so it promised to warm up fast. By the time I got to the clubhouse it was mid thirties in Temperature. The footing was sloppy and although rain had been forecasted, it held off and was actually sunny most of the morning. The ground was frozen underneath with mud on top. The north slopes still had traces of snow in the shade. The temperature was 36 deg. F when we started out and warmed up to 47 deg. F. The Barometric pressure was falling and clouds started closing in the afternoon. Everything was very wet as the humidity was high. Winds were light and from the east.

We headed North from the clubhouse and then turned East into the wind. The hounds found a line and started speaking almost immediately. John saw Tanker in the lead. The coyotes must have split as he had one part of the pack that continued east and another that headed more north. We headed down the pipeline and headed east to the corner of the property. Eleanor headed on down the driveway after the hounds and we waited there at the gate. Eleanor gathered most of the hounds back and drew the woods south of the Dark house. We followed Jill down the woods trail along the property line heading due south. We then circled around and headed for the hog farm. We were standing on a hill as Eleanor was in the woods and watched as Nabisco picked up a line almost right in front of us. The rest of the hounds with her honored and they took off down the hill into the woods. They lost the scent and circled back around to where we were. The hounds started speaking again and headed Southeast into Welsh’s. Eleanor tried to follow but was thwarted by old fence lines. We waited just off the corner of the property hoping they would circle back around toward us but they went the opposite way. Eleanor gathered up the hounds and brought them back. We had a lovely ride back to meet her on the “river trail” which I don’t think I had been on before. We met up with Eleanor and brought the hounds in.

We met for lunch at the Diamonds Restaurant after loading up our horses. It was nice good country food.

GPS track is attached.

I will be posting photos to this site but haven't gone through them yet.

http://www.pbase.com/lesliegra/huntin071226
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hunting07-12-26.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	19431  
    -Painted Wings

Default Saint Stephen

He was stoned a lot.
    You can't be stoned "a lot." One time, and you're dead. Which is why he is a saint--he was the first Christian martyr, stoned (to death)--killed--for his faith in Christ. Stoning is a form of execution (or was).
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

No shit!
    How could I have possibly missed that startling revelation?
    Last edited by Equibrit; Dec. 27, 2007 at 03:12 PM.

Maybe nobody ever showed you where to find the story? (It wasn't so much a revelation as an event. )

I guess that brain cell of yours got a workout over Christmas!

Don't worry, Equibrit, some of us got it!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I guess that brain cell of yours got a workout over Christmas!

Err ... I have more than one, but what has a brain cell workout got to do with Saint Stephen and Boxing Day hunts? (Unless you think I spent the holiday studying up on Stephen knowing you were gonna think he'd been stoned "a lot"? Sorry--I'm not psychic! )

Default Got my photos posted

My photos from the Boxing day hunt are now posted.

-Painted Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post

Err ... I have more than one, but what has a brain cell workout got to do with Saint Stephen and Boxing Day hunts? (Unless you think I spent the holiday studying up on Stephen knowing you were gonna think he'd been stoned "a lot"? Sorry--I'm not psychic! )

I'm sorry it would just not be very sporting of me to write you the reply that you deserve. A lot like shooting fish in a barrel. Maybe when I reach your level of mental acuity I will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    My photos from the Boxing day hunt are now posted.

Thanks for the nice report, PW! Hope others will post their hunt reports, too ...

I'm sorry it would just not be very sporting of me to write you the reply that you deserve. A lot like shooting fish in a barrel. Maybe when I reach your level of mental acuity I will give it a try!
    Yeah, you're probably right to get on out of the barrel. You're already in over your head!

Default Thanx

Thanks for the pics and the report.

A very happy and prosperous New Year 2008 to you all !

Joel