The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Dressage Today magazine- "Clinic w/ Lisa" segment not in it anymore?

Does anyone know what happened to the "Clinic with Lisa" segment in the Dressage Today magazine? I recieved my December issue last week and noticed it wasn't in there... just wondering if it was taken out for good or what?
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

It mentions somewhere (note from editor at the beginning?) that Lisa is unable to do the column anymore due to her other commitments so I believe it's gone for good.

A recent editor's page mentioned that she was not going to be doing it any more because of other commitments and that Arthur Kottas would be taking it over , starting in February..

Ah ok... didn't read that Guess I should pay more attention next time!

I'm interested to see how the new guy's article is!
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Unhappy

Dang! That was my favorite

Kottas is quite good. I really think you'll like him and learn a lot!

body in charlottesville VA, heart in Ocala FL

Quote Originally Posted by nightmoves View Post
    Me too

Quote Originally Posted by nightmoves View Post
    I didn't like her critiques. Too much verbage spent on turnout and not enough on riding. I'll be interested to see AK's critiques.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Maybe the Winnie the Pooh spoof got to her?

I agree with Retrofit it seems like all she ever talked about was turnout. And it bothered me how she would get after someone for not using a flash every single time. Not EVERY horse needs one.

Don't get me wrong but turnout is important but people would get more out of the article if she maybe had one small paragraph devoted to turnout and the others devoted to actually helping the rider with their riding.

Agree with retrofit and Miss-O. I won't miss her column. I look forward to seeing Arthur Kottas's approach to the column.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I didn't like the segment either. If I read one more time that people should ALWAYS wear white gloves, pull up the caveson, wear a flash, and use dressage-appropriate equipment every time - I was going to hurl. Some of the people sending in pictures were either new to dressage and/or from other disciplines. I don't think she evaluated the riders based on a broad spectrum of knowledge - taking into account their differences - and rather just applied her little DQ world to everyone. Although to give her credit - I DO think it is very difficult to judge a person and a horse based on a snapshot. I think it is lazy journalism and the DT people are trying to play on the success of the Morris' column in PH rather than come up with new, creative columns. Maybe the editor should talk to the people at Sport Horse Magazine that continue to produce a funny, interesting, and informative rag.

Yes definitely time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekDressageQueen View Post
    I don't think she evaluated the riders based on a broad spectrum of knowledge - taking into account their differences - and rather just applied her little DQ world to everyone.
    Although I agree her turnout tips had grown tiresome, Lisa was actually an event rider first (and a pretty good one at that) before turning to dressage full time. But, the magazine is called "Dressage Today" for a reason.

All that said, I look forward to Kottas' version.

Actually, I thought it was an interesting critique of lower levels in general. True, the white gloves and flash comments got old. But if you consider the comments from a broader view; many riders were riding with the wrong equipment, fitted wrongly to the horse and rider and placed wrongly on the horse. There were pervasive issues with hip and leg position, body angle and use of the hand. I think the comments were repetitive, because the problems were repetitive. But I just ate a bunch of nuts out of my horse-slime encrusted hand while wondering about the stench. So, what do I know?
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

Quote Originally Posted by GansMyMan View Post
    But I just ate a bunch of nuts out of my horse-slime encrusted hand while wondering about the stench. So, what do I know?
    Sandy in Fla.

1. "I" read the article.

2. "I" learn from the article.

3. "I" take what "I" learn from the article AND apply it to my riding & T/O.

4. "I" have a photo taken to send in for critique.

Why in the name of all that is holy would "I" send in a photo that has the same T/O problems of the other critiques?

If your going to be miffed w/anyone it should be the folks that sent in the photos.

Bravo Ilex.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see a similar pattern with Kottas. There is only so much you can critique from a snapshot, and since the only people who send in pictures are training and first level (with an occasional 2nd, as I recall), they're all going to have similar problems. Beyond that, there's only so much you can say when you can't see what's really happening, so maybe she had to resort to turnout.

Her point in the flash was not whether the horse needed it to keep his mouth closed. She uses it to keep the bit in the correct position.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I didn't like her critiques. Too much verbage spent on turnout and not enough on riding. I'll be interested to see AK's critiques.
    Agreed