The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

Default Hunting in the rain

I'm wondering what other foxhunters wear when it rains. Do you wear a clear see-through plastic raincoat over your hunting coat (like the H/J crowd), or a colored slicker, or do you just "grin and bear it" with nothing over your wool Melton?
    Last edited by gothedistance; Feb. 20, 2008 at 07:21 AM.

I'll wear my barbour, or my dark colored gore-tex rain coat, if Master's permit.

If you don't have a Barbour, I highly recommend suffering through going to the Tack Box the day after Xmas for the 50% sale. That's where I got mine!

LOL Hunting in the Rain!!!

Well being Irish its to be expected I suppose, we aren't exactly know for our dry winter weather

We just grin & bear it!!!!

I have a Barbour short coat and a Puffa duster. I usually opt for the duster.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Barbour Bedale, they wear like iron, and are designed for riding.

W W!
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

Smile new Fabric

I have a Dry as a Bone (sp) riding duster. It looks like a waxed coat, but isn't. It is lightweight, waterproof, wind proof, but I don't sweat under it, and has snaps that make it into a 3/4 length coat. It even has warm pockets. I even have a detachable hood. Makes walking the dog at 5:30 am in the rain not so much of a chore. I got a big size so I can layer under it. It is black so doesn't stand out.

I hunted many times in my Barbour in MA in the cold and rain with no problems. I have a long one.

Default I'm Old School

I don't wear no stinkin' raincoat for hunting.

My wool hunting coats have always gotten the job done. I will say that my scarlet coat gets verrrry heavy when wet, but never got soaked through and kept me toasty.

But of course, if the Master declares that rain coats or parkas are acceptable, then it's fine. In fact I did regret not accepting the offered raincoat at Bridlespur last April...took my boots DAYS to dry completely!

Quote Originally Posted by imissvixen View Post
    I hunted many times in my Barbour in MA in the cold and rain with no problems. I have a long one.
    Same waxed cotton breathes, that is the whole idea of it.

I guess I am a Slone Ranger wanna be, if it is good enough for the Queen,
    it is good enough for me

W W!
    FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

Mackintosh OVER wool jacket.
    Mac; http://www.rainmac.com/shop/products.php?cat=18

Anybody need one of these from Santa? http://jpeterman.com/product.asp?cat...sku=WBZ%201931
    Last edited by Equibrit; Dec. 10, 2007 at 08:33 PM.

I've spent many a long rainy day hunting in Ireland. A long waxed cotton coat (Barbour or similar) over your hunt clothes is all you need. It's made the way it is because it works. I've seen people wearing their frock coats in the rain, with rainwater dripping off the bottom edges, and their breeches soaked through. Miserable.

I also put a cheap black plastic rain cover on my hat. It gets ripped up after a few passes through the brush in ditch and bank country, so I buy several at a time so I always have one to use. I have spent all day in the pouring rain hunting and stayed dry and comfy.

Now if you want to go real old timey, wear a Melton frock, and wear a traditional rain apron. I've seen them in Ireland. Basically a black apron that ties around your waist and drapes down in your lap and over your legs while in the saddle. Very historically correct.

I just saw a coat similar to X-rab's description at Ted's Tack Shop for $40. It was black and looked like a long duster with leg straps. They are open Wed and Sat 10-5 through the month of Dec and then closing. Everything in the store is 20% off. I have nothing to do with them, just want to pass on a good deal. I'm going back today just to buy that coat!

Can be very good hunting!
    If we start in the rain I wear a Barbour. For the south they are either too cold or too hot, but what can you do? If it starts out cold, then begins to rain, I find that my melton is warm even when wet. String gloves or wool string are essential. So is a peppermint.

J Peterman used to carry them - the real ones - rubberized cotton with leg straps.

These are the dogs b-ll--ks http://www.darkhorseuk.com/riding_macs.htm

We wear Meltons. Period.

String gloves if it's very wet/raining.

At home if it's raining I just wear my Barbour Bedale. I got a new one a while back after giving my ancient one a decent burial. I got the old one at a tack swap years ago - and it was ancient and patched then. Finally it gave up the ghost. The new on is holding up just as well; I wear it often.

If it's cold and rainy, I've got an old Aigle vest I wear under it. Helmet, boots and gloves keep me warm enough.

In real downpours I don't ride.

Default Barbour question

Does anyone own a Barbour Stockman? I was crushed to find out this morning that their Burghley (long, with leg straps) was discontinued. I borrowed a Burghley yesterday and it was awesome - my saddle stayed dry even on a fast run in the pouring rain. The Stockman looks longer and I'm wondering if it would be way too long on me. Any 5'7"-ish women on here own one?

Yes I bought the rain coat! It was $25 and I figured I couldn't go wrong with it. They had one L and one XL left. It's full length and when the back is unsnapped will expand to cover your saddle and part of the horses rump.

Hmm, hunting in the rain. If I wake up on a hunt morning and its raining, I smack that alarm clock and go back to sleep. Yep, I am a wet weather weenie. I don't mind the cold but I hate the wet.

Some of the best hound work you will ever see is in the rain.

Don't let a little water stop you. It won't stop the hounds.

Greg

Thumbs up just grin & wear it!

I don't want no stinkin' raincoat whilst hunting neither BUT...one goes on as soon as I dismount!! I find true wool meltons quite water repellant as it just beads up on the cloth. Just DON'T touch it! THEN it soaks through! Let it roll off. I also think cleaning fluid is somehow helping with the repellancy too. Seems older/more oftened cleaned meltons shed water better to me.